• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson '38 Rub Rail Molding

hudson

A recent raft-up debacle has left me with cracked rub rail molding on my starboard hull. Does anybody know where to get rub rail molding for an '81 ericson '38? I'm in Marina del Rey. Any Boat yards or anybody that has extra around?

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If it is a "U" aluminum extrusion you are out of luck for new parts. You may be able to find some used sections here if you are willing to patch in a piece.

Some here have replaced with a newer U channel but it is not a perfect fit.

If I could find a small section I was going to cut it up to send to aluminum extruders to see what it would take to produce a batch new and get a group purchase.

If you search here for rub rail you will find many discussions and alternate solutions.

hudson

The rub rail mounting piece is not aluminum, but a plastic extrusion (maybe pvc?). It is also not a 'U' channel but more of an 'I' that is curved, one set of legs pressed against the hull and covering the joint between hull and deck, with the other set of tabs serving to seat the vinyl/rubber rub rail, almost like a dovetail.

I could probably employ and new vinyl/rubber rail and redo the entire length of the boat, serving the same protection of the joint and still looking respectable, but this would run more $$ and take more labor than replacing the 6 ft or so of hard plastic molding that got cracked.

dwigle

Member III
Wefco it is

I replaced my rub rail last summer with pieces from wefco that matched the size and shape correctly, the drawback is the both pieces are now rubber so it's a little harder to keep a straight line when attaching the new pieces. Also, the color is different so both sides have to be replaced. This is who I dealt with:

Pete Stigers

Wefco Rubber Mfg., Co., Inc.
21000 Osborne Street, Unit 2
Canoga Park, CA 91304

PH: 818-886-8872
FAX: 818-886-8875
www.wefcorubber.com

He knew his product and what fit Ericsons.
Last year's prices were:
insert is # 4107 White rubber cost $ 2.75 422g white rubber $ 3.25 per foot. 1-2 week delivery
Estimated freight $ 25.00

Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
E38 #8
Pt Richmond, CA