• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Downloading Documents - Doc Types

wchatar

Im the newbie who registered today. I am trying to download 30+ info. The brochure downloaded with no problem but everything else will not download. I am on an Apple and a new window will launch then the "loading" icon will flicker on and off and nothing else. My browser failed the first time I tried it, the first time in 5 years Ive ever seen that. Just wondering if it is me? Or Safari?

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Im the newbie who registered today. I am trying to download 30+ info. The brochure downloaded with no problem but everything else will not download. I am on an Apple and a new window will launch then the "loading" icon will flicker on and off and nothing else. My browser failed the first time I tried it, the first time in 5 years Ive ever seen that. Just wondering if it is me? Or Safari?

I have been using Safari since day one, and have had no problems that I know of. The few times I want to d/l a file it seems to work fine. Of course that was only one file. When you say it "failed" did it lock up and you needed to Force Quit the application?
What OS version are you on? Safari version?

Best,
Loren

wchatar

Download Issues

Thanks for responding. The download itself failed when a the new window launched and as I said the "loading" icon appeared in the address bar. This issue can be solved by just closing the window. Safari itself failed the first time, there was an error message which, to be honest, I didnt look at too closely, I thought it said something about an Adobe plugin. I have reproduced the result with the download on 3 computers (all Apples).

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
My fast computers, my slow mind...

I just tried a d/l from the E-30+ docs section.
The Color Brochure instantly showed up in a separate Downloads window and when I doubleclicked on it it opened. Savable from that point.
Next I clicked on another file - might have been rigging instructions or somesuch. It opened immediately within an Acrobat window. Savable by clicking on the little save icon at left side of top menu bar.
The interesting part is the second one did not show up in still-open d/l window, but was just as viewable and savable.

FWIW, I regularly get an Adobe alert of some kind about not having some sort of camera file or obscure (to me) font. I dismiss it when it appears. Accepting it does not seem to make it happy, either. Only other app of theirs on my computer is Elements 6.0. It's handy for some things but my main photo app is still "ColorIt!"

After all these years of computing, I guess am still mostly a Luddite. :rolleyes:
Do keep us posted if / when you have a difficulty.
Regards,
Loren
Imac 24", system 10.5.8, Safari 4.0.4
( we also have an "old" G4 IBook that is relegated to navigation duty on the boat and photo viewing/manipulating stuff and 'net access when on vacations.)

Last edited:

wchatar

Download Issues

Loren-

Thanks so much, I will give it a try. I hope this isn't the beginning of years of ineptitude on my part, but its nice to think you might be around.

Again thanks,

Evans Simpson

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
PDF vs. ZIP

I moved these posts to a new thread - for clairity of discussion.

The differences in behavior you describe are because of the different file types. In the archives, some documents are saved as PDF files, while others are zipped (.ZIP) into a single file. The reasons for this vary - however most are due to the proprietary nature of the article in question - and whether or not it can be zipped to save room in the archive.

At the top of the file archive page is some discussion which talks about how to open .zip files - using (on the mac side) Stuffit or (on the win side) WinZip. When confronted with a zip file, just download it, and open it using the aforementioned application (or email me, and I'll help you).

Please let me know if this answers your question.

Thanks,
//sse

Last edited:

wchatar

pdf/zip

Hi Sean, thanks for responding. The brief answer is "no". The download never begins so it really has nothing to do with the file type, unless Im really missing something. What occurs is that a new window appears and I am asked to relogin. When I do this the new window goes blank and the "loading" icon flashes in the address bar until I close the window. Maybe I just dont understand what is "supposed" to happen. But the "download" window doesnt open, which, for me at least, isnt typical. I realize that I didnt describe my system. Safari 4.0.4, OS 10.5.8, Intel based laptop.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Huh -

I'm running the same version v.4.04 of Safari, with Mac 10.6.2 (Snow Leopard)...

When I run the same process it pulls down the docs - and in the case of the zip file, it opens it, creating a folder with the files enclosed (attached).

Perhaps it's a matter of being able to unzip the files. Do you have Stuffit or other app loaded which can read them? If not, perhaps your Mac has no idea what do to with the file (download vs. other action).

Do you have Stuffit or other .zip reading apps?

//sse

Attachments

• safari_downloads.jpg
    safari_downloads.jpg
    85.5 KB · Views: 73
  • safari_unzipped.jpg
    safari_unzipped.jpg
    133 KB · Views: 46

wchatar

stuffit

Sean-

I went through the exercise of reloading stuffit from your link and had it open while I tried to dl the document. Same sequence of events. Im starting to think its really me, I might try it on my windows computer. Thanks for trying but Im afraid that its just one of those things.

Thanks

Evans

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Being unwilling to move too quickly to the leading edge, I am still running 10.5.8 -- on a 2.4 GHz Intel core 2 Duo.

And my d/l files open in the Finder/desktop. I do not have Stuffit installed or any other .zip opener, per se.
I do believe that the OS handles this for me.

Wish I could move this mystery along towards some revelation, but this is about all I know.

Best,
Loren

wchatar

stuffit

Well both of you know enough to live on the west coast, you completely have me beat. Yeah, I will try this on my windows computer tomorrow, hate to go to the dark side, but sometimes you have to. Thanks to both of you.

wchatar

Ftp

Sean- Of course the FTP site worked like a charm. Im an architect so I do a lot of file downloads etc and Ive never seen anything like this. But thanks for the FTP link, it worked perfectly. Again, thank you. Im sure you will be hearing from me again.

Evans

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Sean- Of course the FTP site worked like a charm. Im an architect so I do a lot of file downloads etc and Ive never seen anything like this. But thanks for the FTP link, it worked perfectly. Again, thank you. Im sure you will be hearing from me again.

Evans

As an arch student, I am always happy to help architects! :egrin:

//sse

wchatar

Architect

Dont do it! I assume that youve heard the joke about the architect who won the lottery. Someone asked him what he was going to do with the money. He said "practice architecture till it runs out". Im kidding of course but those damn clients always get in the way:) Seriously I have a couple of good friends who are architects in the Seattle area. Let me know if you need someone to talk to.

Sean Engle

Administrator
Founder
Dont do it! I assume that youve heard the joke about the architect who won the lottery. Someone asked him what he was going to do with the money. He said "practice architecture till it runs out". Im kidding of course but those damn clients always get in the way:) Seriously I have a couple of good friends who are architects in the Seattle area. Let me know if you need someone to talk to.

Thanks for the offer - I may very well do that. I was considering a sub-group for architects who also own Ericsons - but of course, as an architecture student, I have no time...

//sse

wchatar

Architect

Please do. One Im pretty sure doesnt sail but the other I think lived on a boat when she first moved to Seattle. I dont think that it was an Ericson, so that may be a deal breaker:). I think that both have their own practices (I have no idea how they are doing), so let me know. Both are really nice people.