• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Saving Sailing"

u079721

Contributing Partner
I was going over the speakers for this weekend's Minneapolis Boat Show, and noticed a talk called "Saving Sailing" by Nick Hayes, who has written a book by the same name. I was able to hear part of his presentation online at YouTube from Annapolis last fall too.

He sort of loses me in his discussion of what to do ("spend quality together time with your family"?) but his statistics on the state of sailing are pretty impressive.

From 1949 to 2009 the population of the US grew from 150 M to 300 M. Over the period the number of sailors (not sure how that is defined by the way...) peaked in 1979 at 12.5 M. By 2009 that number had shrunk to just 2.6 M.

Ouch!

He did make some pretty interesting observations. Like, why try to sell sailing to people saying it is easy, when precisely what draws many of us to sailing is that it can be demanding, but is therefore rewarding to master. Also something like 95% of the people who are sailors when young drop out by age 25.

How to fix or save sailing is a fascinating topic. I've always just felt that sailing is too expensive and difficult to compete with the easy distractions of today's digital age. I guess the one bright side of this is that if things keep going this way perhaps I'll be able to afford another boat some day!

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Interesting stats Steve. I know where I sail the population has not dropped by 80%, and probably not at all. I know on my lake there are many more slips filled by sailboats now versus 1979.

As for growth, I would suggest that most people learn to sail when young, and the majority of the growth population did not have sailing families or friends. [PC, huh?]

I find very few members of minority groups sailing in the Marinas I frequent. Anglophones excepted. ;) I can't speak for other areas of the country.

RKCRWLR

Member II
Ditto on you comments above...

I have wondered myself about the demise of sailing and will have to check out the book referenced. I can tell you from my experience that folks who are at the age that I was at when I became interested simply want instant gratification in everything. Lets face it, sailing takes a little more time and sophistication than running a speed boat (not to say I do not LOVE speed boats as well!). I think we have failed to pass on to many of our children the ability to have hopes, dreams, and imagination than does not come from the WII or DSI. Sailing for me has become part of who I am. But I see even in my own kids that "boredom" creeps in. We can all do ourselves and our kids a favor by teaching them to SAIL, NOT just turn the tiller. I say take 'em out when the weather is not perfect. Let them have the adrenaline rush that a heavy heel can bring. Let them find the freedom that we all enjoy. Give them confidence and let them conquer these vessels. They will come to love it.

I also see a very closed knit community in general. I have sailed avidly at our marina for 18 months. I have participated in Chili cook-offs, socials, etc, but have not once been invited to join the local yachts club. They have membership issues, but when you inquire as to becoming a member, you generally get the run-around. I know how this goes and have been guilty myself. I am an avid off-highway enthusiest as well. I once shunned the idea of more Jeeps in the back country. Then there was not enough support to keep the parts houses in business. Then the USFS started shutting down access without regard for historic use or public demand and there were simply too few of us to stop them I found that by creating a small tight knit environment, I lost everything that I loved. We NEED more sailors! Invite your friends, your neighbors and any kid who is willing to join you. Show then what it is you love about sailing. Give them a passion for life! Here on the Great Salt Lake, we enjoy some of the most beautiful sailing I have encountered. But the average citizen thinks the lake is only good for dumping. They need to see what it is then they will want to care for it as well.

Well, enough of my rambling. I usually limit it to $0.02 worth. I may have spent too much on this one! Thanks for reading my rambling!:thinker:

Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
There is no room for romantics in this society.

You have to get what you can before someone else gets it so there is no time to waste.

-Sven

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
There is no room for romantics in this society.

You have to get what you can before someone else gets it so there is no time to waste.

-Sven

That has an unfortunate ring of truth to it.

There are other issues as well:
-Expense. Most people have a mortgage/rent, car payments, phone bill, cable bill, cellphone bill, electric bill, insurance bills, credit card bills, satellite radio bills, etc. etc. There isn't much left over. Especially if you consider that a boat in much of the country is limited to a season. Its a huge expenditure for an item that gets limited use. And then there is the cost of upkeep. I am considering aircraft ownership. I was quite surprised when I realized that I could purchase, store and maintain a decent aircraft for LESS than I spend on my sailboat. Thats when the reality of how expensive boating is hit me.

-Time. Most people these days claim to not have any. Too much to do, can't stay long, work work work. I've had close friends that I know really enjoy sailing turn down offers because they really need to "paint the spare bedroom" or some such nonsense. 5 months of doing nothing all winter and you choose to do that NOW? Are you insane?

-Children. Can't go because we have kids. They have sports, they have activities, they don't like it, etc. etc. Growing up my parents carted my and my brother everywhere, sometimes against our wishes. Imagine that. Some of my best memories are things I didn't want to do. In my area the thing to do for parents is to cart the kids to some event and then sit on the sidelines cheering for them then cart them home. That is not "involvement" in your childs life. That is being a nanny. Take them on the boat, race WITH them, let them run the boat to get a feel for it.

-Sailboats are slow. Yes they are. In the "gotta have it right now" world powerboats get you there and back in a predictable manner. But they take very little skill to operate relative to a sailboat. With no skill required and no reward in mastering them they are little more than another motorized conveyance that moves you through the world.

-People are lazy and inept. Too many people are more than happy to have someone else paint their house, mow the lawn, perform ANY maintenance on the car, etc. etc. They sit back and watch sports/crap on large flat screen TV's with no control over the world they live in. Largely, boat owners are not like this. You can't be and survive. Back when I had a corporate career I remember distinctly instances of "water cooler" discussions regarding our weekends. Most people "had a few beers", "played some golf", "watched the game" and my response was "changed a transmission in my truck" It turns heads, people see this as black magic, the ability to actually do something.

Okay, rant off!
RT

WBurgner

Member III
Not just here

Interesting thread. My parents maintained a home in the Bahamas for the last thirty years and became very involved with the Bahamian community on Man of War Cay in the Abacos.

On a much smaller scale they are experiencing the same issue, but rather than a question of recreation or sport, they see their heritage drifting away. Populated by Separatists following the American revolution the small community subsisted on boat building and fishing. Like any small rural town here they find it difficult to retain the younger generations. Their young are just as attracted to fast boats and electronic diversions as our own.

In the last two years they have established a youth sailing program to bring young people closer to the natural elements of the sea that surrounds them. Using Optimists provided by a few benefactors and volunteer instructors they have built up a fine group of young sailors that are doing very well in inter-island competition.

One or more of these young sailors will carry on the traditions, and I no longer feel that the wonderful sight of the wine glassed stern of a Man of War built sailing dinghy ghosting through the harbor on a light evening breeze is endangered.

HughHarv

Hugh
Most people today who have cable television can't seem to live without the darn thing......kids and adults don't get out and play let alone sail.