• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

conversion of an E27 from Volvo to Electric propulsion

Scandalous

Just converted Scandalous (E27) from gas to electric. Uses four lead batteries and is capable of hull speed. Using a 48 volt system and cost under 5K for the complete conversion. Located in San Diego. :egrin: Anyone considering this, I would be happy to advise. Don at postal6@juno.com

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Welcome to the simple, serene, orderless, powerful world of electric auxiliary!

Details? What size prop are you using, what motor, what's your amp draw @ 4knots and hull speed?

As Loren asked, do you have any photos?

Scandalous

Will be happy to send before, during and after photos. Write me at postal6@juno.com. Not sure how to post photos here. The batteries are located under the aft berth, just extended the existing two battery tray to hold four batteries. I started reviewing the various distributors, and settled on the kit from electric yacht. Did change the prop from a two blade to a 12 by 14 three blade. I have set the controller to a max of 100 amps and try to not exceed running 50 amps. Installation of the new was easier than the removal of the old. Hopefully in the next few years, lithium batteries will come down in price and replace the four wet cells. Don Swanson

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Don,

You can start a photo file by going to the "Community" link above then "Pictures and Albums". Let us know if you post anything there. I added a few photos of the battery and charger locations on my E27, under Lotus Flower.

davisr

Member III
Don,

You said that you are using flooded cells for your new electric motor set-up. Curious to know how you are venting this area. Would help me with a problem I'm trying to solve on my E25.

Thanks,
Roscoe

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Don,

That's an aggressive prop. What does Electric Yacht use for a heat sink?

Are you getting over 6 knots with your set up? I'm maxing out at 5.8 knots with a 12x10 fixed three blade prop.

Can you change any parameters on the battery monitor?

Thanks

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Here are some photos of Don's Electric Yacht setup. I'm posting them for him.

Attachments

• electric yacht1.jpg
    electric yacht1.jpg
    113.2 KB · Views: 74
  • electric yacht2.JPG
    electric yacht2.JPG
    83.5 KB · Views: 84
  • electric yacht3.JPG
    electric yacht3.JPG
    96.8 KB · Views: 74
  • electric yacht4.jpg
    electric yacht4.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 76
  • electric yacht5.jpg
    electric yacht5.jpg
    38 KB · Views: 74

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
And a couple more,

Attachments

• electric yacht7.jpg
    electric yacht7.jpg
    124.4 KB · Views: 84
  • electric yacht6.jpg
    electric yacht6.jpg
    101 KB · Views: 80

Scandalous

Mark, If I push it to 100 amps I can achieve 6 knots, but nothing over hull speed. I have set the controller to a mx of 100 amps. Motor never gets hot, but I never really push it either. The only heat sinks I have are the aluminum framing for the motor. Using a 12 by 14 three blade prop. On the controller I can increase the amps but have opted to be more conservative. Rarely exceed 4 knots.

That's an aggressive prop. What does Electric Yacht use for a heat sink?

Are you getting over 6 knots with your set up? I'm maxing out at 5.8 knots with a 12x10 fixed three blade prop.

Can you change any parameters on the battery monitor?

Thanks[/QUOTE]

Scandalous

Roscoe, The batteries are situated on the starboard side under the quarter berth, the entire back end of the boat has been gutted, removed old gas tank, hoses, etc. Try to keep the batteries as close to center line as you can get. I rode in a E27 where the batteries were under the port hatch in the cockpit all the way to the outer edge and it was lopsy to say the least.

You said that you are using flooded cells for your new electric motor set-up. Curious to know how you are venting this area. Would help me with a problem I'm trying to solve on my E25.

Thanks,
Roscoe[/QUOTE]

Scandalous

Mark was gracious enough to post photos. If you would like more, write me at postal6@juno.com. Electric Yatch has a complete kit with Mars motor and controller mounted on an aluminum frame. Also came with a throttle lever, 300 amp fuse which I replaced with a 300 amp circuit breaker. Have photos of everything.

Did you use a motor and or controls from this vendor?

Do you have some pictures of the installation?

Thanks,
LB[/QUOTE]