• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

water leak

bkprogress

Own a 85' 30 + last year I noticed a leak above my nav. station. Over the winter I rebeded the bases of the stantions only to find leak still there. Someone suggested that I might have a crack underneath the rub rail- has anyone had this problem ? and if so how easy is it to remove and fix. Thanks

Jim Baldwin

Member II
Hide and seek

First, find the leak and then we can discuss how to fix it, right?
Remove any panels or anything you can to get a better look. Then one person, outside with a hose and one person inside with a flashlight. "Seek and ye shall find," (hopefully).

Start, with the water hose low and work your way back and forth and then up and down. The leak may be in the suspected area or across town someplace and only showing up at your nav station. The only thing you can rely on is, that water runs downhill, (usually).

Relax, all boats leak here and there... I guess you just have to go with the flow, chew gum and patch it up. You know, most people think small boat owners are crazy... They prefer to stay ashore, walk on the beach and complain about sand in their shoes.

Good luck and maybe someone else can tell you precisely where to look.

P.S. (Boat owners are crazy.)

Last edited:

bkprogress

leak

Thanks Jim for fast reply. Sounds like a good plan probably work on her this weekend I'll let you know results-thanks again

Mitch

Member I
The PO of my E-27 had trouble with a leaky deck. After many frustrating attempts to cure the problem by rebedding the stantions and caulking the rubrail, and water showing up in the quarterberth after each unsuccessful try, she realized that it was the portlights that were leaking, and that the water was running down the inside of the liner only to show up down by the q-berth. The source of your leak could be further away than you expect.

-Mitch

Jim Baldwin

Member II
drip, drip

Hey Mitch: My E27 does the same thing and I have rebedded all the portlights and the stantions. I am sure they leak anyway because the water forms a little puddle under the far corner of the quarter berth. I have considered making a little fiberglass trough extention at the back corner of the headliner that could route any runoff behind the back panel. From there it could find its' own way to the bilge without soaking the cushion. (What do you think?)

I know Ericson was well aware of their portlights tendency to develope leaks because they mentioned it it their owners' manual. They even made sure to let you know that the "repair of minor leaks is considered a part of reasonable and necessary owner maintenance."

I believe the headliner and the troughs that run along the inside of the boat were actually designed to help minimize those annoying drips and leaks that were considered inevitable by the factory.:esad:

Mitch

Member I
Wet E27 Q-berth

Jim-
Boy, I like your idea of a little rain gutter in the Q-Berth to route leaks to the bilge. I'm sick of dealing with wet cushions. Maybe it wouldn't even reqire any glass work; do you think just a bead of caulk near the joint where the upper and lower liner meet would be enough to channel the flow of water aft? And once the water is at the aft end of the berth would you just drill a hole in the liner to act as the drain?
I spent a few hours last night pitching and rolling at the morning with my head in the forepeak trying to rewire the bow lights. The positive lead is shorted somewhere and its a real jury rigged mess up there. Thank goodness for that spare circuit that Ericson ran through the boat.
Let me know if you work on the gutter. I'd love to hear how it comes out.

-Mitch
Halimede
Portland, ME