• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

swing keel equals maybe gone?

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
Hi all,

I let the rope go on my swing keel today on my Ericson 25 and the rope just kept going and dissappeared. Went below and took the panel off in the cabin to find the rope and where it is fastened but alas, the other end is GONE! At this point I am fearful that the whole keel may have just fallen off. I am going to drag a rope tomorrow with a friend on the other side holding said rope and hopefully we will find that there is indeed a keel. If there is, then how in the world do I thread the rope back up and trough the mast and if there is not..well..what do I do then?

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
OUCH:esad:

Hopefully the board is there!!!! As long as its still the there, everything will be simple, but if its gone, ouch. Can you dive and take a look at the mast and the centerboard pin as soon as possible?

Keep us updated

Attachments

• 2004_0604Image0004.jpg
    2004_0604Image0004.jpg
    91.7 KB · Views: 188
  • Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    Mast Pictures 014.jpg
    108.5 KB · Views: 125
  • Mast Pictures 011.jpg
    Mast Pictures 011.jpg
    121.3 KB · Views: 102
Last edited:

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
Thanks!

No time to go look at it today but am off tomorrow so definately then. I have so many questions about soooo many things. You seem to be one of the few, Rob, who actually answer. I am assuming I will have to haul this thing out of the water soon to take care of things like the keel. Time to start saving.

Glyn Judson

Where's the swing keel?

Dear friend, Here's a thought I just dreamt up. How about shackling a chain or other suitable heavy object to a length of line that you could slip under the boat from the bow? Then with a friend, on one side and you on the other you could walk the line aft until it hopefully hit the leading edge of the keel. That seems to me to be a simple way to determine that it's there without having to to dive the boat. Concerned that just the stub of a broken keel is stopping the line? Let the line out a little to sink the weight a bit and repeat the test. There are those on this list with waaay much more knowledge about your swing keel that can confirm my test method or debunk it altogether. Here's sending good thoughts your way that all you have to look forward to is replacing the hoisting line. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Hi All,

The method that Glyn gives here is a method of not only finding the keel, but of by swinging a srep back and forth, you may be able to push it back into the retracted position, so at least some article I once read proposed. I believe this to be an unfortunate but not totally freak accident. I'm wondering if a pull up rope can be attached to the installed keel while still on the water (if the keels still there?).

You may be interested in knowing that a stock replacement keel can be purchased from Ida-Sailor in Idaho. I can find a number for you if it is needed. They also carry a kick up rudder for the E25.

The light at the end of the postponement tunnel is shining for my boat, and I expect to get our boat in Lake Chelan next season. I have a second E25 that I purchased for the new trailor involved, and that boat along with my old trailer are going over to a friend in our sailing club, so within a year, Lake Chelan will have two E25's. - chris

Gordon

Seems to me that finding out if the board is still with you is your first step with method described above using two people and a weighed line. If the board is still attached, I'd be inclined to gather all parts that might be needed to reattach: SS cable of correct length & related connectors, weight to lower pulley system line through centerboard hole (you could try this before getting diver), extra line to send over the side to pull centerboard above water (if you are unable to reattach centerboard), etc. Then I'd get a diver to look at board and reattach if possible, if not possible, the have diver pull centerboard pin and raise centerboard out of the water for repair/rebuild.

Gordon

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
It's gone

The keel simply fell off in a bad location that makes it impossible to recover. Deep brackish water 100 yards before a bridge. So, what do i do now?
Had a diver buddy go underneath and verify for me..sad news to say the least..

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Sad indeed!
Sounds like some time at the yard on a trailer to thoroughly check out the pivot pin (or where a p.p. should be) and then source or build a new board. Isn't there an EY member in Idaho that builds replacements?

Here is another good site for discussion aboout maybe building your own keel. A lot of owners post there and share DIY advice.
http://www.plasticclassicforum.com/

Good luck,

LB

Last edited:

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
if anyone builds them..im in

I'll have to save up some money but, if anyone builds these or can give me instructions for building one myself, then I am all for it. Kind of bummed in general now though. Idasailor.com has one for 899.00. Sure would like to NOT have to pay that much,.

Joe

Member II
Bummer. The last two postings in this thread contains information on the construction of a centerboard by a forum member. He sent me detailed pictures of the process. Take a look.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
04-07-2008, 11:53 AM #4
Steve Swann
Sustaining Partner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There is a possible starting point by contacting Steve, also Bob in Va is very helpful and has a DIY plans to build a new and improved designed cb. Dont get all discouraged, it aint the end of the world :)).

Brodie,

I replaced my E25 centerboard last year with one from Idasailor. If yours is split, there is little hope that it is salvagable. It needs to be replaced with something - and you have a few options.

I have a stainless steel centerboard spine for sale to save you some time and trouble. You'll still need to fair foam blocks on each side and run your fiberglass laminates to complete it. All the hard work is already done. Write me offline if you are interested. I can have it shipped within a day.

Steve Swann
Boise ID

Kringe

Bobby G..junior Pirate
I'm hoping Brodie means me

Rob,
Whatever you can do to help me out is ultra appreciated. I am at a marina where all the guys are live-aboard and seem to to think everything is simple and should present very little challenge. Go beach it and lay it on it's side and shove a new keel up in that box is kind of their state of reasoning. These are good guys for certain things, but they are simply not speaking with any sense of logic without actually having a decent keel to "shove up in the box". I'll be needing the pin that holds it as well as the cable that connects to the keel and well...dammit I just don't know for sure what it is exactly that I need to do...again,....all help is much needed and probably NEEDED more than appreciated..

Paceship.org has a very good article on designing, and building a centerboard or rudder. Besides the methods they describe, a ferrocement or concrete centerboard could be built. The original weight of the centerboard was a 150 pounds, and anything lighter is OK. The Ida-Sailer replacement is plastic with just enough internal lead weight to keep it down. The boat's centerboard is not technically a keel, but a foil. It will give more lift if you look at the pacehip.org article and use the graph to create a proper profile. A flat piece of stock will not give you this bounce.
If you need some sizing ideas I could at some point later this fall outline the centerboard for you, with some notes for creating the small top area, which has a difference profile, and is a flat trapezoid. Your boat will sail allright without the centerboard as it isn't a keel. How much upwind pointing do you miiss without it? Email me to the side if interested. - chris