• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

depth transducer installation

mac666

Hi there peoples.
My question is about installing a depth sounder transducer in E27

I really don't want to drill another hole in a bottom of my boat, so I want to know if it's possible to shoot through the hull?
I know, i will loose some range this way, but I know, people have done it on smaller boats. They say, you have to make sure that there are no bubbles of air trapped in between the transducer and a hull, PLUS YOUR HULL NEEDS TO BE SOLID GLASS (not balsa cored).
My question is: Is E27 bottom a solid glass or cored????? (I hope, not cored)
My next question: Has anybody here done an installation of a transducer like that without drilling through the hull???
THANKS!
Mac
you can email me mac22.valentina@gmail.com
pix would be nice

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Depending on the manufacture they do sell in hull transducers. They are usually a upside down cup that is angled to the hull, epoxied or glassed to the hull and filled with mineral oil. When I needed to replace my Standard Horizon transducer I was hoping to use the existing hole from my old transducer. As it turned out, the new transducer was not long enough. I discovered a old in hull transducer on the boat like the one I described. I modified the cap to fit the new Standard Horizon transducer, filled it with baby oil (same as mineral oil) and it has worked perfectly ever since. Yes I believe the hulls on E-27's are solid fiberglass. Sorry no pic of my set up. You can do a search of in Hull Transducer. See the link for Raymarine's version.

http://www.raymarine.com/default.aspx?site=1&SECTion=2&Page=606&Parent=40

or http://www.marine-super-store.com/posit/shop/index.php?selectedpartno=04241

Attachments

• 0000006184.jpg
    0000006184.jpg
    21.4 KB · Views: 5,227
Last edited:

G Kiba

Sustaining Member
"Shoot thru the hull" Transducer

I have mounted an inexpensive unit in my E27 and it works fine.
I mounted the transducer to the floor of the port side storage compartment (under the seat) furthest aft and inboard. The previous owner had the old "fish bowl" type transducer mounted there. So I just copied what he did. Turns out it's an OK location (storage loss). E27 Draft is 3'11". Depth gauge indicates 3.5 feet when I run aground. That's close enough for me.

chasandjudy

chas and judy
installing transducer

I have mounted an inexpensive unit in my E27 and it works fine.
I mounted the transducer to the floor of the port side storage compartment (under the seat) furthest aft and inboard. The previous owner had the old "fish bowl" type transducer mounted there. So I just copied what he did. Turns out it's an OK location (storage loss). E27 Draft is 3'11". Depth gauge indicates 3.5 feet when I run aground. That's close enough for me.

I just changed the transucer o my E 30+ it screwed out cleaned up the residue and mess reinstalled the thru hull Garmen "C" 2" dia thru hull and re sealed with seacaflex did not paint it because you must use a water based antifouling paint. I have taken pictures of the procedure including mounting the head of information part of the system, which is square into a round hole and now am in the process of re-routing the cable into the thankfully zipper head liner . as it will not pull thru the small areas in the hull (to many turns)
I will post pictures and let you know about my conclusion of the job . P S if you have a duel beam sender it will not be as accurate in a shoot thru the hull application, better to make a hole in the bow and install plastic or bronze
transducer

Chas and judy sv eden E30+