• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E 30+ Mainsheet through a rope clutch?

Eric30

Member I
Recent owner of a 85 30+. I have heard pros and cons of running the mainsheet through a rope clutch located forward of the starboard cabin mounted winch. Some have said this is a must. Others have said they would never do this.

Right now my mainsheet is simply wrapped around the self tailing winch without going through the clutch.

Thoughts?

Last edited:

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
The mainsheet on my 30+ goes through a rope clutch. I usually leave the clutch open and cleat the sheet on the winch. I could see how locking the clutch might make it more inconvenient if you were doing a lot of sail adjustment...or had to release the sheet quickly...

Guy Stevens

Do you need the winch for something else?

If the only line that is going to the winch is the mainsheet, then why run it through a clutch. If you need the winch to share duty and be operational for something else then you are going to have to have a clutch.

The winch if used correctly being a self tailing winch preforms the same function as the clutch if it is only being used for one line.