• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub rail painting - results?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
There appears to be quite a few threads where we have all discussed painting rub rails with vinyl paint, krylon clear coat, etc... Anybody have a feedback on the results of these endeavors?

I need to stop the chalky streaks!!!:mad:

Shamwari

Please Contact Admin.
painted my rub rail

I painted the hull with 2 part urethane paint (Endura) and decided that I would paint the rub rail as well. It has been on a year and a half and isn't even rubbing off where ropes cross it.
John Gleadle
e-39

Rub rail

My rub rails were getting chauky and cracked so I cleaned them up and sanded them down. Then I painted them with about three coats of Pettit [sic] one part urethane IIRC. So far this has held up for about three years so far. There are still little grooves where the cracks were but maybe next spring I'll sand a little and put another coat or two on it.

Fair winds,

Chad

tilwinter

Member III
buoy paint

I bought the buoy paint from Hamilton in Maine. Never got to use it as I sold the boat. But the paint was cheap, and no problem shipping it.

Patti Wood

Member I
Spray paint for plastic

I painted 2 of my white, plastic-y dorade vents with that Krylon spray paint for plastics. These dorades were cracked and chalky and yellowed, just like my rub rail. Thought I'd test the paint on the dorades before committing to the rub rail job. It worked great, and has held up just fine, so far for a year. Looks very nice. I sanded the surface down really well first, taped off and covered everything within 4 feet with plastic to protect from overspray, then sprayed numerous coats, on a calm morning. I'm so happy with the results I plan on doing the rub rails next. Sure will cure that chalky streaking problem - but the taping off is really the time-consuming part of the job.

boethius27

Member II
good to know they can be painted. Mine leave chalk streaks all down the hull every time it rains or we sail. I had thought about replacing them. Anybody ever done so? I'd love to put a teak strip there, but that seems like a lot of time and money for a less than durable solution, haha.

Sven

Seglare
So the white drip streaks are from the rub-rail chalking, not from hard water !?

That would certainly be a good thing to know as we were trying to find a way of stopping what we thought was hard water streaks.

-Sven

chaco

Member III
Paint vs Protection

Painting Vinyl (PVC) rub rails is Crazy :cool:. The paint will eventually crack and peel off.......DUH ! Sanding / Cleaning and UV Protecturant is the way to go. Check out http://www.303products.com/ for some great products I use on my Rub Rails and PVC Inflatable

tilwinter

Member III
rubrails

I tried every one of the products on the market, to no avail. Every spring I had to buff off the chalk from the cove stripe. Only compounding and a wool pad would take it off. I think the rails were too far gone. That's why I was ready to try paint. Even 2 or 3 years without chalking would have been great.

Last edited:

Patti Wood

Member I
cleaners vs. painting

Crazy like a fox!

I tried those cleaners before I used the paint. I sanded both of my rub rails and used the cleaners made for PVC. They did nothing to seal it from chalking. I tried several different brands. One year later, the spray paint that is made for plastics has not flaked or rubbed off. It's a new product, developed in the last couple of years. I'm sure it won't last forever - but if I get a year out of it and it looks nice and stops the chalking, I call that a success. Varnish doesn't last forever, either, but it is attractive and I don't mind touching it up once a year. I like the look of varnish - personal preference - and some other folks don't mind weathered teak. I like the look of a non-chalky rub rail - personal preference again. I can't afford to replace them right now, so I will spend a morning a year painting them. That ain't bad.

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
To those who have painted the rubrail insert, did you completely remove it from the channel and prep and paint both sides? Also, while the insert was removed, did you also tape off and paint the mounted channel with the same paint?

My rubrail also is very chalky and needs attention and this seems like a reasonable way to fix this issues rather inexpensively.

CaptDan

Member III
To those who have painted the rubrail insert, did you completely remove it from the channel and prep and paint both sides? Also, while the insert was removed, did you also tape off and paint the mounted channel with the same paint?

My rubrail also is very chalky and needs attention and this seems like a reasonable way to fix this issues rather inexpensively.

During the recent haul out, I painted the rub rail with white Flexabar PVC Bouy paint. I taped off the aluminum channel, cleaned the rail and applied two coats. I'm hoping this will stop the chalk blemishing for at least a few years. If not, I've got plenty of paint left to add more coats.

The bad news - the cove stripe was heavily blemished from chalking. It took the yard several buffing passes and applications of AwlGrip cleaners and polishes to remove the detritus. I suppose smart money says outright replacement of the rubrail is the best solution. But, in our case, there were other more pressing matters that needed financial attention - replacement of a cracked stem fitting among them.

YMMV.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

napleskayak

Rub Rail Replacement

I just replaced the entire rub rail and insert with new stuff from Wefco. It needed to all be resealed anyway and it looks fantastic. The whole project was 300.00 or so.