• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

"Ericson" brand name

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
Bob,

Interesting question. The name Ericson was chosen by
the guy who actually started the company, Ray Handy.

Martin

gareth harris

Sustaining Member
I have always wondered if it was after Lief Ericson, the viking who discovered north America - if anybody finds out I hope it will get posted here.
G

Martin King

Sustaining Member
Blogs Author
As far as I know, the company was named after
Leif Ericson, thus the viking helmet for a logo. Incidentally,
when the factory unveiled hull number one of the cruising
36, she was christened "New Leif".

Martin

Last edited:

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Leif Ericson

Leif Ericson was born around 980 A.D. Lief Ericson was born in Iceland near what is now known as Budardalur. In about 985 Leif and his family sailed to Southern Greenland, and his father founded a settlement that is near Julianehab. In 999 Leif sailed to Iceland and to Norway, where he became a Christian. A year later he returned to Greenland, and preached Christianity to his fathers pagan settlement. In about 1002 Leif sailed west of Greenland to find land that was sighted by Bjarni Herjulfsson. Some sagas explained Leif and 35 men landed at place that Leif named Hellund, which means flat rock land. Leif then sailed south to a land, with many trees which he called Markland, which means Forestland.

He left Markland and continued south until he found a land where grapes were growing. Leif's men took the grapes and made wine, Leif named the place Vinland (Wineland).

Ericson and his men spent the winter in Vinland. They built a big house and a shed to protect their ship. They gathered logs so they could bring some back to Greenland, because there are few trees in Greenland. On their way back to Greenland they rescued 15 people who had been shipwrecked. As a thank you the victims gave Leif their cargo. Leif became rich because of the logs and cargo. When Leif returned home Eric the Red, Leifs father died shortly after his return home. Leif stayed in Greenland to govern his father's settlement.

Some historians think that Vinland is part of Newfoundland. Leif Ericson died in the year 1025 and he will always be remembered. Every year on October 9, the United States celebrates Leif Ericson day.

Sven

Seglare
The only problem is that Leif's last name is spelled with a "k", not a "c".

Of course, who knows how <b>he</b> would have spelled it :)

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Lief Ericson with a "C".

I wouldn't be so sure about the spelling. I got that information on the web by typing in the name Lief Ericson on Google and was given a large list of many historical web sites all about Lief Ericson with a "C".

Geoff Johnson

Fellow Ericson Owner
Having just returned from Iceland I can attest that there is no "c" in the Icelandic language (essentially old Norse). They spell the name of their country as "Island". Icelandic also has 13 letters that do not appear in English.

Sven

Seglare
Originally posted by Geoff Johnson
Having just returned from Iceland I can attest that there is no "c" in the Icelandic language (essentially old Norse). They spell the name of their country as "Island". Icelandic also has 13 letters that do not appear in English.

Right.

I didn't mean to start a linguistic debate. It just happens that if it is pronounced as a "k" in Norway, Sweden, Denmark, Iceland. Greenland or the Faroe Islands it is usually spelled with a "k' or a "ck" combination. A hard "c" is very unusual and I can only think of imported words that use that convention.

Back to sailing and sorry for the derailing :)

-Sven

Bob in Va

Member III
Full Circle

Interesting discussion, as I lived in Iceland in '63 and '64, though farther south (Keflavik) than Leif's home, and have often wondered if our boats' name had any connection 'Leif the Lucky' as he was sometimes known. It had to be daunting to set out in a single-masted square-rigged ship with low freeboard and some livestock aboard in those northern waters, hoping for clear weather and fair winds. My great-great-grandfather Thorvaldur was a captain out of Oslofjord in the 1850's, and probably knew an Eriksson or two. I'm just glad they weren't named after the female progeny of Erik the Red, or we would all be sailing 'Ericsdottirs'.

tilwinter

Member III
With regard to the "viking helmet", there was an exhibit about the Vikings at the Smithsonian about two or three years ago, and it was emphatically pointed out that the Vikings did not have helmets with horns. This mistaken perception apparantly dates to Wagner's Ring trilogy, in which the famous "fat lady" Viking (I don't think I can spell Valkyrie) wore a helmet with horns.

Not to mention, the Vikings were more famous for rowing than sailing; in fact the name Russia comes from the word for oar ("rus") and refers to the portions of Eastern Europe into which the Viking (row)boats penetrated.

But it's a nice logo anyway, and what would it look like without the horns? :)

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
the name

>But it's a nice logo anyway, and what would it look like without the horns? :)

Must be time to go sailing.

Mark

Attachments

• ericson-helmet-logo2.jpg
    ericson-helmet-logo2.jpg
    11.2 KB · Views: 553

Fencer21

Member II
When I was in the Air Force, I spent a year in Iceland, when talking to the host nationals they pronounced his name as "Leifur Ericsson", as in "Eric's" son. Hence the two S's in every man's name who lives on the island.

davisr

Member III
the ericson brand name

Dear Forum Members,

I'm a new-comer to the forum and will hopefully be a new Ericson owner in the next few weeks. I have read numerous sketches here and there on various internet sources about how Ericson Yachts originated in Orange Co, CA and how the company was eventually purchased by Pacific Seacraft. I have also read the many postings that forum members have made in response to Martin King's call for questions (in terms of design) that he will soon put forward to his father, Bruce, in preparation for the writing of a history concerning Ericson Yachts. A question that has come to my mind several times in the reading of these various historical sketches and forum posting concerns the origin of the brand name Ericson. Given the Viking symbolism associated with Ericson Yachts, it seems safe to say that Viking-era explorer, Leif Ericson, was the inspiration for the brand name. Does anyone, though, know what led the founders of the company to opt for the Ericson name and the accompanying Viking symbolism - other than that it sounds good and looks really cool? Is there more to the story than this? Though they obviously weren't out to build Viking longships of old, did they seek, in some way, to capture certain elements, albeit in glass, of the storied craftsmanship of the Vikings in terms of design?

Sincerely,
Roscoe Davis
Charleston, SC

davisr

Member III
HornedandWingedHelmetsInNorseandGermanicRitual

Bob and Loren,

Thanks for pointing out this thread on the brand name Ericson that was originated some five years ago. For those who are interested in the debate as to whether the Vikings wore horned helmets or not, I found an interesting article on "Straight Dope," that addresses this very issue (see attached). It's really the most thorough treatment of the subject that is floating around out there on the internet. The author confirms what others have said - that there is no evidence that the Vikings wore horned helmets. Importantly, however, there is a good bit of evidence from Greek and Roman writers and from the artistic and archeological record of the Middle Ages that the peoples of the North, i.e., the Celts, the Germanic tribes, and the Norsemen did in fact use wings, horns, and other such animal parts on their helmets, sometimes in battle, and sometimes (perhaps more often) in rituals. I think that we, and the author, miss the larger point if we become overly focused on the term "Viking," which, after all, was equivalent to our word "pirate," and did not designate a certain nation of people. That so many sources indicate that Northmen in general wore horns, wings, and other such things on their helmets for ritual or other purposes is evidence enough that it was part of the broader culture, whether or not certain raiders, as far as we know from the limited amount of evidence available, chose to wear these in battle during the relatively narrow window of the Viking era, A.D. 800-1000.

Best,
Roscoe Davis
Charleston, SC

Attachments

• HornedandWingedHelmetsInNorseandGermanicRitual.doc
    32.5 KB · Views: 92