• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Several maintenance issues

SeaRogue

Member II
I am a new E32-3 owner. My boat is overall in excellent shape. There are some issues that the passage of time has brought about. I would appreciate advice as to the following issues:

1. Leaking side ports. The ports on the aft of the cabin show evidence of leaks in the past. After 25 years I suspect that the material used to seal the ports may have given up the ghost and need replacement.

Q: How difficult is it to remove the ports and rebed them? Has anyone done this? Is it expensive to have a boat yard do it?

2. Lewmar Hatches. Both lewmar hatches on the deck are crazed. Instead of removing the hatch frames and replacing them, I would prefer to replace the hatch tops only. I have an email in to lewmar on the question of whether the tops are available.

Q: Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this issue?

3. Stove. The present stove is a two burner alcohol stove with an alcohol oven. I will probably convert to propane.

Q: Does anyone know if there are conversion kits to convert stoves and ovens from alcohol to propane? I suspect this may depend upon the design of the stove. I have heard the suggestion to remove the stove completely and replace it with a micowave oven which could be operated by 12v batteries through an inverter that will convert the 12v to 110v. I would welcome suggestions along those lines also.

4. Switch panel indicator lights. At some time the boat has suffered a lightning strike which blew out some of the small red indicator lights that illuminate to indicate that an electrical device is switched on. These lights are located just behind the chart table.

Q: Does anyone know the source of replacements for these small red indicator lights?

5. Corrosion on the mast and boom.

Q: Does anyone know the process for addressing the issue of small spots of corrosion on the mast and boom which have removed the paint?

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=6506&referrerid=28

Here is a pretty good thread on the stove question. We still love our Origo 6000 galley range.

You may need to spend some time refining searches of this site. I believe that many of your questions have come up in the past. Others here may know how to link quickly to the information.

Best,
Loren

ps: i have wonderful memories of an offshore delivery on an Ericson 32-3; it is a great boat.

Captron

Member III
Priorities

I am a new E32-3 owner. My boat is overall in excellent shape. There are some issues that the passage of time has brought about. I would appreciate advice as to the following issues:

1. Leaking side ports. The ports on the aft of the cabin show evidence of leaks in the past. After 25 years I suspect that the material used to seal the ports may have given up the ghost and need replacement.

Q: How difficult is it to remove the ports and rebed them? Has anyone done this? Is it expensive to have a boat yard do it?

Ports can be difficult to remove. It depends on the bedding material used. To do it properly, they need to be removed, the fiberglass and the aluminum frame cleaned completely and reinstalled with proper bedding compound. For all that trouble, I'd just buy new ports. It seems hardly worth the effort for old corroded ones that you can't get parts for anymore.

Opinions vary on the proper bedding material. Research other threads on this site for those arguments.

2. Lewmar Hatches. Both lewmar hatches on the deck are crazed. Instead of removing the hatch frames and replacing them, I would prefer to replace the hatch tops only. I have an email in to lewmar on the question of whether the tops are available.

Q: Does anyone have any thoughts or advice on this issue?

Lewmar does not have parts for anything except their current line of hatches. However, any professional plastic fabrication shop can cut new polycarbonate or acrylic lenses to match the old ones. In St Pete, check with American Plastics. If you're skilled with a router, you can buy the plastic from them and cut new glass out yourself. Otherwise have them do it. It ain't cheap.

The cheap solution is to make canvas hatch covers (to match your other canvas) and leave them on. Then the crazing won't be seen and no one can see in the hatch either.

3. Stove. The present stove is a two burner alcohol stove with an alcohol oven. I will probably convert to propane.

Q: Does anyone know if there are conversion kits to convert stoves and ovens from alcohol to propane? I suspect this may depend upon the design of the stove. I have heard the suggestion to remove the stove completely and replace it with a micowave oven which could be operated by 12v batteries through an inverter that will convert the 12v to 110v. I would welcome suggestions along those lines also.

There are no conversions from alcohol to propane. Replace the stove. $1200 plus tanks, various fittings and fuel line not to mention overboard vented propane lockers. You may be able to find parts to repair the alcohol stove, however, and have a perfectly serviceable unit. It kinda depends on what your cruising plans are.

Microwave ovens are only practical when plugged into shore power. Microwave ovens draw 750 to 1500 watts depending on the unit. After losses from conversion via an inverter you're looking at a 900 to 1800 watt draw on the battery bank. You'll kill the average 200 amp hour house bank very quickly. Fuggedaboudit. Sure you can run the engine with it's 150 amp alternator while the microwave is on, provided the cook isn't trying to do baked potatoes for eight. Maybe it'll keep up?

Propane is the way to go for most cruising. Alcohol is the way to go if you need to carry a year's supply of fuel on board. You can get propane even in most fairly remote ports.

4. Switch panel indicator lights. At some time the boat has suffered a lightning strike which blew out some of the small red indicator lights that illuminate to indicate that an electrical device is switched on. These lights are located just behind the chart table.

Q: Does anyone know the source of replacements for these small red indicator lights?

You can get 12v red LEDs with holders from All Electronics on the web.

5. Corrosion on the mast and boom.

Q: Does anyone know the process for addressing the issue of small spots of corrosion on the mast and boom which have removed the paint?

Research old threads on this site where several members have refurbed masts and booms. To do it right involves removing the mast/boom from the boat, removing all hardware, stripping and sanding the metal, getting the cleaned spar powder coated or professionally painted with something like Awlgrip or Imron or an epoxy paint. The reinstalling all the hardware, replacing anything suspect. It ain't cheap or easy.

In St Pete, JSI on Gandy Blvd used to do this service. Take them your old mast and a few weeks later they'd deliver a beautifully refurbished 'new' spar. Just open your wallet.

A small spot or two can be sanded and spray painted in place although most mast and boom corrosion occurs under and alongside stainless steel fittings.

Any input or advice would be appreciated.

The best advice I can give you is to go sailing! Forget the 'looks nice' projects and just use the boat. After 4 or 5 years of cruising, you'll have a much better sense of priorities when it comes to spending money on your boat.

I'd go for a clean bottom, ice for your rum, and a woman that likes to sail (and also enjoys rum) first. Everything else is lower on the list.
:egrin:

SeaRogue

Member II
Thanks Captron

I appreciate the information you provided, it is very helpful.

I am not as concerned with making the boat pretty as I am in keeping it from deteroriating. The interior teak shows just a bit of water damage from the leaking port. I am concerned that the leak might also affect the core around the port as well as damage the teak.

I figure that if I stop the corrosion on the mast and boom now I can keep it from spreading, although I expect that it will be a continuing maintenance problem.

I see that you are in NPR, just north of my place at Treasure Island. I look forward to seeing you around in the Gulf. Anclote Key is one of my favorite anchorages although I have not been there in awhile.

ref_123

Member III
Hi there

Went through the most of the stuff that you are describing myself, as we have the same boat.

Ditto what Ron said about everything. Just a note regarding hatches. I had to re-bed my lenses 2 times before I got it right. So, ask me over the email if curious. Just a note of caution - even if you get it right, the gasket is so deteriorated by now that the water can go through it and not between the lens and caulking... Found it this winter after a REALLY big storm. Cheap solution - apply silcon goop; expensive - send to Select Plastics...

Anyway, she is a great boat. Got even better when we put on all new sails :).

Regards,
Stan
E-32-3 "Fire Eater"