• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

H2o tank amadon light

amadon light

Member II
i have a potable water tnk beneath the cabin sole amidship which i have drained there are 2 pmp stations at the galley sink the inboard is now dry when pumped the outboard pump still pumps water where is the tank this water is coming from???/// all help much appreciated

Glyn Judson

Where's the extra tank?

Loyd, The left hand spigot at the galley sink should supply fresh water from the tank you refer to and/or an auxiliary 25 gallon tank that your boat might have been fitted with. If that were the case, it would be located under the V-berth, one bulkhead forward of your holding tank. It's not unheard of for E31 owners to have removed that second tank. Proof of one being there or having once been there can be seen on deck adjacent to the bowsprit. If just one deck fill (holding tank), then your boat was not ordered with that tank from the factory. If you have two deck fills there, that tells the story past and present. The right hand spigot gets its water from the biggest water tank of them all, the one your boat is sitting in, salt water. Don't believe me? Take a taste and you'll get religion real fast. Here's the thinking behind having those two spigots. Our boats are blue water cruisers and as such water can be at a real premium, so dishes are washed in salt water and then a minimal amount of fresh water is used to rinse them off. Loyd, can you do me a favor? Will you let me know if your boat has or had that extra tank? I'll include what you tell me on my spread sheet for your hull number listing, thanks. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

amadon light

Member II
H2o tank

ONLY ONE FILL STATION SO ONLY ONE TANK AMIDSHIP (TANKS FOR THE INFO) ALSO MET A NEW ERICSON BUYER TODAY IN THE BOAT YARD HE IS MR. DON HARTFIELD WOULD LOVE TO HEAR FROM YOU GUYS AT THIS SITE AS I TOLD OF THE ASSISTANCE I VE RECIEVED HERE HIS E MAIL IS --DUBLEDUEC@AOL.COM HE IS THE NEW OWNER OF A 29 FT SALVAGE VESSEL AND IS IN NEED OF INFO AND PARTS LOCATOR SERVICES (tanks again for the info i was seeking)

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Amadon,

What model & year Ericson are we talking about here?

Also, when you say "two pump stations," do you mean the two manual foot pumps? On my boat, the outboard foot pump pumps from the main water tank. The lines from the main tank to this foot pump are quite long, so it takes a lot of pumping to empty the line even after the tank is empty.

The inboard foot pump is plumbed to the bottom of the ice box and is used to pump the melt water out after ice melts in the box.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
According to his profile, Mr Light owns a '78 E-31C.
Perhaps owners of sisterships can comment on how the water tankage and pumps are formatted in that model.
:confused:

LB

Emerald

According to his profile, Mr Light owns a '78 E-31C.
Perhaps owners of sisterships can comment on how the water tankage and pumps are formatted in that model.
:confused:

LB

Glyn nailed it. One of the foot pumps at the galley is plumbed to the fresh water tank, the other is sea water. In my case, which I believe is original, the outboard of the two pumps is fresh water. The other foot pump goes to a through-hull so it draws sea water.

It is not uncommon for people to reroute these lines. In fact, I didn't need the sea water side for cruising the Chesapeake, so it's intake became the drain for the galley sink (enlarged to 3/4", which is the smallest seacock size, but that's another thread....), which had originally been tied into one of the cockpit scupper lines - something I never liked. The seawater pump now sits idle, but I have thought about connecting it to the ice box drain, but haven't gone that route. So, just because the inboard of the two pumps is meant to pump seawater, don't take it for granted. Also, take a look at the galley sink, and you'll see you have two simple curved spigots. The outboard one should be from the water tank, and the inboard to sea water if connected as original.

The main/standard (think 40 gallon) water tank is under the cabin sole and is filled from a deck fitting outboard the cockpit to port. The optional 25 gallon tank would have been forward under the V-berths and filled from a deck fitting on the foredeck. There is a valve in the locker under the stove/oven that controls the flow of the 25 gallon tank into the main tank under the sole.

Last edited: