• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Securing anchor on bow roller

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
I have a Bruce anchor which sits nicely on the bow roller while we sail. I drilled a 3/8" hole through it to allow us to put a stainless steel bolt through it and the bow roller to hold it in place so it didn't accidently drop off the bow roller in heavier seas. But the bolt doesn't keep it from swinging a bit side to side in rolling seas, which I don't like. Therefore, I have added a bungy cord from one side of the anchor around the bow, over the anchor roller, around the pulpit to hold it more firmly. While that sort of works, it doesn't look very nautical. Does anyone have a better way of securing the anchor firmly, while still allowing for easy release when anchoring?

Thanks,
Frank

Mindscape

Member III
Bruce on the roller

Frank - I've got a Bruce on my roller as well. I use a SS pin with a push button release on it (std item from somewhere, can't remember where) thru a hole I drilled. There is little or no play so the anchor does not move much. You mentioned a 3/8 inch hole, does the bolt fit snuggly (sp?) in that hole? Maybe I just have not noticed it moving but I think I would of and we've been out in some rough stuff since I but the anchor up there. I'll check again this weekend but I think if the pin fits pretty snug there will not be much motion.

u079721

Contributing Partner
This certainly won't work for every boat, but on our 38 we just lashed the end of the Bruce anchor to the base of one of the bow pulpit supports. Kept it from moving around, and held it in place.

Glyn Judson

Securing your Bruce.

Frank and all. I too had the same problem with my 22# Bruce nested in a Windline bow roller http://www.go2marine.com/product.do?no=10002F on our previous boat, an E25+. I had previously fitted an Aqua Signal bicolor light http://www.aquasignal.info/ecat/htd...=1&subcategory_id=1&product_id=46&item_id=185 to the upper rail of the bow pulpit so I set the Bruce in the Windline upside down, slipping the pin through the trip line eye in the anchor. I custom made a nice looking circular bungee cord (white in color, West Marine), held together with several stainless hog rings that went around all three anchor flukes, behind, over and under the the front of the Aqua Signal light fixture. I might add that the light was attached using their accessory part, a stainless steel U-bolt with decorative black plastic cover around the rail, a very sound and secure method of attaching and as a result, a great place to terminate the looped bungee. It kept that Bruce perfectly vertical in the roller which never again moved a bit in the heaviest of seas. Regards, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA