• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice on Ericson 28 - looking to take the plunge

adavid

Member II
I know this specific boat, since I looked at it last year. The mast was replaced since the yard damaged it beyond repair a few years ago when storing it for the winter.

Another thing to note is that the '86 E-28 has a deck stepped mast. I have that same boat, and get very little water in the bilge. I have seen many E-28's in pictures and live, with "high-water" marks in the cabin. This is most likely from the cockpit scuppers getting clogged over the winter (or someone unknowingly closing the scupper seacock). The cockpit fills with water, and then into the cabin. It seems to only be a cosmetic issue, as long as the engine stayed dry.

Andy

berner73

More pictures

By the way, that's not the broker.

Attachments

• Bilge.jpg
    Bilge.jpg
    44.7 KB · Views: 89
  • Steering.jpg
    Steering.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 82
  • Cabin with Table.jpg
    Cabin with Table.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 106
  • Engine.jpg
    Engine.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 86
  • Cushions.jpg
    Cushions.jpg
    33.2 KB · Views: 92

C Masone

Perfect Storm
As I said before I bought my 32' boat for less than that, seeing the condition of that boat in this market I would not pay half of the asking price.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
As you can see, the broker's photos are much less revealing. The condition of the bilge says a lot about an owner's level of care and maintenance. The veneer on the cabin top is shot(that is just the surface of that problem). There is leakage around the rudder post and at the area through the cockpit sole. I would definitely walk away from this one at that price. No deals here.

BTW, I cannot tell if the admiral is grimacing, likes the boat or just smiles whenever she is being photographed:egrin:

Last edited:

bayhoss

Member III
about the mast

After having the mast on my 1986 E28 fall to the deck in May, I can assure you that I have come to know a thing or two about the spars on the E28. Mine fell due failure of a swaged eye on the standing rigging. When the mast came down, it hit hard, real hard. But, when recovered it was still in great shape, as was the boom. The Kenyon spars that came with this boat are strong. I would want to know why they were replaced. I also would have a very good look around the mast plate. A forward to backward fall (in my case) did no harm to the spars at all. A side to side failure were the mast stays connected at the bottom is another story. Having the boat accidently go under something (like a bridge) will do it to.
Looking at the pictures and considering that we have a buyers market, I would low ball the heck out of that price and see what comes back!
Best,
Frank E28+ Valinor

PDX

Member III
I'd like to expand on what treilley says above, "The veneer on the cabin top is shot(that is just the surface of that problem)." The cabin trunk has a white discoloration below each port light. The discoloration forms a line at the top of the trim ledge. Its not that easy to see in the first salon photo, but is very evident in the photo where the admiral is leaning toward the starboard port.

The discoloration, IMO, is due to port light leakage, probably all of them that are in the salon. When treilly says, "just the surface of that problem" he means that there is going to be some water penetration into whatever underlies the veneer. Depending on how the cabin trunk is constructed, and the extent of the water incursion, fixing this could be a big job.

berner73

Thanks for the posts everyone.

I looked at a '86 Cal 28 yesterday which is listed for about the same price as this Ericson. The Cal is in remarkable shape all around which helped us realize how far out of line the asking price for this Ericson is relative to it's condition. You can really tell when an owner takes pride in their boat. We still prefer the layout of the Ericson and the active participation of it's owners, so we aren't stoppping our search yet.

Hopefully we can find an Ericson 28 no later than next Spring if not sooner. Anything past that and we'll probably have to seriously consider other builders, regretfully losing the detailed support of this forum.

Thanks again and I hope to be back soon with a better specimen to bother everyone over.

Joe

WhiteNoise

Member III
Ericson 30+ better price

I have an Ericson 30+ that I am selling. I think it may be a good fit for you. I have done lots of work and have many pics if you're interested.

-Chris