• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

!!WARNING!! Garmin GPS date problems starting last weekend

treilley

Sustaining Partner
If you have a Garmin chartplotter, your date may be wrong which will affect tide/current data. Here is a temporary fix until Garmin can permanently fix the firmware for these units.

If the date displayed on the GPSMAP 21xx, 22xx, 3xxx, 4xxx or 5xxx series is displaying December 31, 1989 or January 1, 1990, the GPS source setting will need to be changed.

Correcting the Date issue for the GPSMap 3xxx/22xx/21xx series:

In order to correct the Date issue, the Serial GPS Mode must be changed from Garmin to NMEA.

1.Power the unit on
2.Press Enter to advance to the Map screen
3.Press and hold the ADJ/Menu button for 1 second to go to the Main Menu
4.Highlight Setup
5.Highlight the Source option
6.Press Enter
7.Highlight NMEA
8.Press Enter
9.Highlight Setup
10.Highlight Info

Correcting the Date issue for the GPSMap 4xxx/5xxx series:

In order to correct the Date issue, the Serial GPS Mode must be changed from Garmin to NMEA.

1.From the Home screen Select Configure
2.Select Communications
3.Select Serial GPS
4.Select the Mode button one time

If the time is off by one hour the Daylight Savings setting will also need to be changed from the Off or Auto setting to the ON setting.

Turning on the Daylight Saving Time option for the GPSMap 3xxx/22xx/21xx units:

1.From the Map screen
2.Press and hold the ADJ/Menu button for 1 second to go to the Main Menu
3.Highlight the System tab
4.Highlight the Time tab
5.Highlight Daylight Saving Time
6.Press Enter
7.Choose On
8.Press Enter
9.Press Quit

Turning on the Daylight Saving Time option for the GPSMap 4xxx/5xxx units:

1.From the Home screen
2.Select Configure
3.Select Preferences
4.Select Units
5.Select Time
6.Select Daylight Saving Time
7.Change the selection to On
8.Select the Home Button

Now that these settings have been changed the Date and Time should display correctly once the GPS has acquired its position.

Important Note:

When you select NMEA vice Garmin in the setup your gps antenna will not display as being connected in your network .... but not to worry, it is.

Here's what you'll see.

2206Network.jpg

But never fear your antenna is sending positional/time/date info to your chartplotter.

2206Time.jpg

20090818_46.jpg

<!-- google_ad_section_end --> <!-- / message --> <!-- sig --> __________________

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
After a couple of false starts I got through the instructions yesterday on my 3005C. Have not changed the one-hour-off part yet, but in a month it will not mater anyway.

How did you get the name entered for "two of a kind" and is there any reason for doing that?

Best,
LB

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Loren, that is not my GPS. I copied that procedure from another sailing forum.

I do believe you can change the name in the System settings though. No great reason to do it in my opinion. I keep my name and address in my portable in case it ever gets lost or stolen.

George Fitch

Thanks for the good info, Tim. My unit did this last summer and I hadn't gotten around to trying to fix it.

George Fitch
35-2
"Cirrus"

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I checked Garmin's website and it appears they now have a fix for the GPS17 antenna to resolve this issue.