• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 Steering re-build

Matey

Member III
Well .. I just finished the re-build of my steering and thought I might put up a post for another poor sole who might have the same fate.
It started with a wet cockpit sole. Not having good access to the area I pulled the cables and the quadrant to gain a better look. As we do .. while the cables were off the steering pullies I checked how secure they were. The top 2, that are attached to the lower sole that bridges the two tubs together, pulled right out of the plywood. But it was the plywood up for replacement. The bottom 2 attached to plates glassed to the hull with tabbing were both a bit loose and after digging found to be pretty rusted out. So I made a jig (picture 1) and took pictures and measurements of the vertical plates .. then ground them out. A mess.
Next I attacked the sole. See http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=7562
While at the sole I found the source. Multiple leaks on the bridge deck from the pedestal, traveler and the head of the rudder shaft. The above thread outlines that fix.

Back at the steering .. I replaced the shaft packing, pulled the pedestal and re-painted it , had new cables fabricated and inspected the chain. The throttle cable was fine but I needed a new shifter cable for the A4.. expensive ..
Then I fabricated the 2 vertical supports out of 1/4" steel plate, cut with a plasma cutter, welded on some legs to the correct hull angle and painted with POR-15. I glassed them in, using the jig I'd made with a good biaxial cloth and West Systems. I'm buying it by the gallon anymore. This weekend I replaced the quadrant, lined up the pullies with C-clamps, drilled out the plates and fished the cables up to the pedestal and adjusted the works (picture 2).

All seems right with the world now .. but it took me several weeks, a day a week, to pull it off. I had a little help getting the plate angles and jig made and cutting the plates. But otherwise a one-man-show. I don't have tons of glass experience just a couple books, West's literature & video, some encouragement, a good work schedule and an understanding wife. Well .. and you guys.

Who else would care about this stuff ?
:egrin:
Regards, Greg

Attachments

• s 013.jpg
    s 013.jpg
    93.8 KB · Views: 109
  • a 023.jpg
    a 023.jpg
    84.9 KB · Views: 118