• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Tiller extension handle for tender

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I don't see how the model with the u-joint could work well. I would think you would need 2 hands to steer the boat.

BTW, I grew up tearing around in a 10' row boat with a 6hp Johnson OB. I had an extension handle and I loved it. It was extendible so I could operate the motor from the rear or middle seat. I highly recommend this upgrade. I bet the 18" model would be perfect. Test out the length with some scraps. You really want it as short as possible to make it manageable when sitting in the rear of the dink.

Glyn Judson

Home made outboard tiller extension.

Guys, I made one from a short length of copper pipe with a threaded adapter that accepted a PVC slip/threaded fitting that more or less stayed on the rubber outboard grip. I suppose one could make the entire assembly from PVC but I'd have to guess that I used copper because that's what I had on hand. I could then stick a length of PVC into the fitting for the extension. In order to prevent the extension from getting lost overboard, I capped one end and jammed a cork into the other. On at least one occasion it took a swim and merrily floated around until I circled back to retrieve it. The beauty of my design was that I could pull the extension out of the tiller handle adapter when stowing the motor. Everything I mentioned above was made from found materials in my garage, one of the cheapest boat related items I ever made and used. It worked beautifully the entire time I owned that outboard. Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Captron

Member III
Extension

Depends on the motor I suppose but my Yamaha 15 works quite well with a $2 length of 1.5 inch PVC pipe. What it lacks in class it makes up for with functionality and 'I fixed it myself'.

I made it as a 'temporary' a while back. The rubber grip on the Yamaha is tapered some so I cut one slit about 4" long lengthwise in one end of the pipe. When I need the extension it slips right on with a bit of preesure and maybe a rap or two by hand. It comes off with a twist and a pull. It's been kicking around in the bottom of the dinghy now for 4 years. Years ago I tried on with 4 slits in the end but it was too wobbly. One slit works well. Also since it's not bolted or hose clamped on, it will likely break away if you fall on it. I haven't yet tested that theory though.

I use it when driving the dink while standing ... I know, I know not safe ... but it's much easier on the back especially when pounding through chop. The knees absorb the shock mo'betta.

:egrin:

p.s. As they say in Canada, 'spare the duct tape; spoil the job.'

Mikebat

Member III
I borrowed one of the HelmsMate 30" telescoping handles from a friend, and I'm glad I did. It's WAY too long. In the shortest position, I have to pass it over my head to steer to one side or the other. So it's the short 18" handle for me. That one leaves enough room to pass it from one hand to the other behind my back, instead of over my head (which is really awkward, let me tell you!). But it is still much more comfortable to sit on the seat while steering than to crouch in the back of the tender.

Now to fix up a rod of some kind to operate the gear shifter while sitting on the seat.