• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Builders plate

Guy Stevens

Hull Numbers

I had thought of stamping the numbers for the hull in the space provided for that purpose.

Then the admiral said, you could let people take them to a local engraver and get anything they wanted engraved on them. (She does that to me frequently....)

I should have taken photos with the tape measure in them.... Ok... Maybe I will do that later today.

Guy
:)

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I will take one of the generic ones and maybe a custom one with a halfhull once I see them.

fredn56

Member II
I will take one of the generic ones with great anticipation!
Thanks for your dedication to this project.

Fred Nelson
Ericson 23 Mark II
Ad Astra

newpbs

Member III
Count me in

Guy,

The plaques look great. I am very interested.

Thanks for following up with this project.

Paul

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
great job i will most likely get both

My inclination is to also want both designs... It occurs to me, slowly as these things do, that I have no clear idea for where to display the second one...

I am imagining the main one, in a teak frame, on the main bulkhead. (I did that with the builder's plaque for our prior Niagara 26.)

Another could go on a half model plaque for our home, I guess. Wow, that'd be classy. That presumes that I could ever find enough money to afford a half model. :rolleyes:

Interesting quandary!

Regards,
Loren

Glyn Judson

Independence 31 builders plate.

Guy, Would you give thought to doing the same for us E31 owners? I've often thought that a design similar to the Cape Dory plate would look great on our boats. I see the oval plate reading Ericson curved across the top and Independence across the bottom. Then a flat rectangle in the center or a half hull there that an owner could stamp or engrave a hull number in. Thoughts? Thanks for considering this, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Guy Stevens

Yes

That was the concept of the custom plate idea.

We have not worked out all the details yet. After the holidays we will be casting some of the custom plaques that we had patterns made for just to see what we could do. We didn't make one for the 31, but within certain parameters we could make one like you describe.

Guy
:)

Starduff

Member II
Builder's plate

Guy,

You can also count me in for an "original" Builder's Plate. Thank you all who were involved in this. Great Idea and Fund Raiser!

Richard
(STARDUFF)

Guy Stevens

Ok so I think that we have a price point

We have been casting, refining the techniques we are using, looking at the materials, time, and the process for the builders plates.

They are hand sand cast solid marine grade bronze. Everdur alloy to be specific. Currently each plate takes us about an hour to manufacture.

For the standard ones, one of the two with photos posted here, either one as you see it (But with the mounting holes drilled for flat head #6 wood screws) your choice. Would be $65.00 each.

We can start on them after the new year and get casting a few a week. Since they are hand cast in my very small foundry, I can't give any delivery dates.

If the volume is still as high as this thread seems to indicate, I may have another set of patterns made that will allow for casting more at time, making your wait shorter. However, this is at best a break even for me, and I need to keep a tab on my expenses, or the admiral will take it out of my boat budget! :)

I am working on a way to include hull numbers in the castings easier than stamping or engraving. The method I am going to try in the next batch I could do when casting them so we will see what they look like with the hull numbers cast in.

The custom ones we will cast after the first of the year, we will have a couple of samples to show the board and see what you think of them. They are going have a higher cost point because we have to have custom patterns made for each custom plate so we can cast them. Custom patterns are currently costing me $110.00 each.

Let me know if you want to be on the order list.

Thanks,

Attachments

• IMG_5501.jpg
    IMG_5501.jpg
    51.3 KB · Views: 85
  • IMG_5505.jpg
    IMG_5505.jpg
    56.5 KB · Views: 73
  • IMG_5506.jpg
    IMG_5506.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 76
Last edited:

SurabyaKid

Member III
Guy,

I'm in for a generic. I presume Paypal will work or do you want me to send check/moneyorder?

PM me with details.

Thanks and Happy Holidays!

Pat

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
Hi Guy,

You can add me to the list of generic (no hull #) builders plate customers.

Thanks for doing this.

Mark

Starduff

Member II
Builder's Plate

Guy,

Please add me to your order list for a generic (original) plate (no hull number). Thanks.

Richard