• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Builders plate

SurabyaKid

Member III
Anybody know a source of one of these? A previous owner removed and all I have are the screw holes.

I am thinking a wrecked Ericson or if somebody knows a derelict? Possibly an engraver who could match?

Thanks

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

Attachments

• Builders plate 2.jpg
    Builders plate 2.jpg
    10.2 KB · Views: 908

Lucky Dog

Member III
We can do that

I have access to a laser engraver. What size, material, amount, how precise of copy?

I was planning on making a casting like on an Cape Dory.

ml

SurabyaKid

Member III
Thanks!!!

Approximate dimensions are 1 inch by 2 inches, material appeared to be a laminated plastic with a gold/brass colored outer layer. I have access to the boat I got this picture from and can get precise measurements this afternoon.

PM sent this AM.

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

Last edited:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Why don't you ask to borrow this in exchange to have a new extra made up for them. Might be a good item to have multiple units made. I would buy one for my boat even though I don't think it came with one. A brass plate like this would look nice on my new distribution panel. Although I would want one to say "Made in the US" as I believe my boat was.

Where on the boat is it located?

SurabyaKid

Member III
Mine was located centerline on the lower cabinside teak board that frames the companionway.

I agree that having a few more made up might be a good idea for those who don't have them or who would like one that does not look diminshed by the ravages of time, teak oil, varnish etc.

I sent a PM to Lucky Dog, with my personal email, to see what he needs to proceed from a technical standpoint. Maybe he would consider making multiples after we get that part figured out?

The boat I have access to is a brokerage boat, so I don't know if I could borrow it, but I do know another E26 owner who might be willing to loan his for the cause....and he is located near Lucky Dog in Wisconsin.

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

Mindscape

Member III
I would love a builders plaque

It would be a nice touch, simalar to what's on a Cape Dory as mentioned by Lucky Dog. Let me know if this goes anywhere and what the costs would be, thanks!

Guy Stevens

Let me know the size

If you can get a better photo of it, and the sizes, I may be able to cast them in bronze instead of having them engraved. We could do fancy ones with your boats name or model on them, or simple ones for all Ericsons... I have no idea what the cost would be, we have cast belt buckles before that were not much different that these though.

I do like the idea!

I have a space that would be great for one....

Also that is one of the elusive Mexico boats that you took the photo on!

Thanks,
Guy

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
Builder Plate

If we are not crossing and copyright line?

Easy solution would be a bronze looking plastic. Cape Dory has a place for hull number, or perhaps boat name or model #.

USA is a absolute.

With some more input, I could prototype one this next week and post a picture.

I "borrowed" a image from CD, would like to cast similar one in bronze.

ml

this is a great community!

Attachments

• cd32.jpg
    cd32.jpg
    6.8 KB · Views: 1,700

SurabyaKid

Member III
Ditto Marks comment...this is a great community!

I just got back from the lake & my boat. From the shadow left in the teak of the plate it was 1 5/8" high and 4 1/4" long. Based on the original mounting location I could go to a maximum of 2" high, before I would have to look someplace else to mount.

1988 E26 Hull #358 (the brokerage boat that I took the plate picture of) and #363 ("Aluva" who's plate I have seen pictures of) are identical and since my boat is hull #370 and also made in 1988, I think it is a fair assumption that mine was a Mexico boat as well. (So far so good, no blisters or other apparent construction quality related issues!).

When I asked the original question about builders plates, I had been thinking of an original from a derelict or wreck as a first choice (as long as not trashed & Mexico/non-Mexico notwithstanding) with my second choice being a fairly close engraved plastic copy of the original. I hadn't really thought of and can see the alure of something better than the original as well (castings & personalized).

Since both Mark & Guy seem to have access to engraving & casting equipment/materials and are offering help to help make builders plates, I am very willing to go with the group...maybe even a close copy plastic engraving from Mark as a short term solution and then a personalized/stylized casting from Mark or Guy as an upgrade.

A quick search on the US Copyright office did not reveal copyrights associated with "Ericson Yachts". Given that the sail makers are including the helmet logo, my working hypothesis is there is no copy right problem with producing these for our own use. (I am Not a lawyer, but have done intellectual property research for a living)

Let me know what I can do to help on this...Better pictures of a plate, playing with typesetting to get the fonts and point sizes, etc?

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

Last edited:

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I'd be interested in one of these for my 32. My plate is long gone, but it's always bugged me wondering what that teak plate was for under the companionway hatch! My board is pretty big, at some point it might also have been used to mount a removable compass.

Lucky Dog

Member III
Sample plates fro review

Here is some ideas.

I'm thinking

On brass looking plastic with the the .org for 20 dollars ( ten would go to help run this site and 5 dollars as donation to my school student association and 5 to cover costs.

We could use better materials and customize the image.

I have my own foundry and CNC for aluminum, so we have lots of options

Looking for to ideas.

ml

Attachments

• Scuppers.jpg
    Scuppers.jpg
    61.2 KB · Views: 810

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Wow, nice!

I personally like the first or second versions but I bet there's a better match for the font, and would prefer the location to say "Costa Mesa, CA" as that was the location of EY regardless of where the hull was built.

I like the model and hull number if that isn't too labor-intensive, but don't think the boat's name should be on the plate.

Lucky Dog

Member III
builds plate v.02

I thought about the CA verses USA, I changed it to CA with the encouragement from tenders.

I numbered them for ease of reference.

ml

Attachments

• Builder's plate.jpg
    Builder's plate.jpg
    34.7 KB · Views: 838

Lucky Dog

Member III
Revised Name Plate v.03

I thought about the CA verses USA, I changed it to CA with the encouragement from tenders. (the brochure for my E35II says Santa Ana)

I numbered them for ease of reference.

ml

PS: and changed type face of Ericson (scanned in form my original brochure)

Attachments

• Builder's plate.jpg
    Builder's plate.jpg
    35.5 KB · Views: 852

SurabyaKid

Member III
I like them!,,,,They have the feel of the original builders plates. Kudos to Mark for his efforts.

I'm leaning towards #2, with the model & hull number...although I like the "Ericson Yachts" of #1 as it was on the original builders plate.

Pat
E26->"Pronto"

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Maybe "Santa Ana" is more authentic if that's what the original literature said. (Perhaps the plant and the business office were in different places?)

I agree, Ericson Yachts looks better. Maybe a little more space between the sections would balance things out a little? The text looks crowded to my eye.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Plaque thoughts

FWIW, I would use the last regular city/state address for the company. That would be Irvine, CA.
Where the hulls were molded out in the 80's (or where any other major parts were built or sourced) does not seem as important to this project.

I would have a standard plaque with the logo and the phrase "Quality Sailing Yachts Since 1964, Ericson Yachts, Irvine, CA USA."
And, for the one style, just stop there -- this would be something that would be nice in bronze if the cost was reasonable. Of course, since this is pretty much an exercise of my pride and ego, cost may have little to do with it below a certain $ point...
:rolleyes:

For owners who want something more personal and individual to their own yacht they could pay for a custom casting or additional engraving with their hull number or boat name on it. Note that due to the way Ericson (and 'bout every other builder did and still does) would state the hull number on the HIN, the true hull number is sometimes not as obvious as it should be.
For example, our own boat is the 8th hull molded out by Ericson and the HIN calls it number 108. To add confusion, the actual only hull #1 of the Olson 34 was build by Pacific Boats and then Ericson started with their own number 100.
You guys with Ericsons with three different designs/versions of the same length can probably relate... :cool:

So, "to reiterate again" how about two plaques, one generic enough for all, and a custom version with the model and perhaps a hull number?

I look forward to seeing this project happen! You casters and engravers need to toss up some costs for us "luxury yacht owners" (Ha!) to ponder, at this point.
:egrin:

Thanks to all,
Loren

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
Title plate v.04

Changed the city
Spread YACHTS

With the boats being made in so many different places, the best source for information in here.

Thanks for the input, i feel useful. I have gotten so much from the exchange.

ml

Attachments

• Builder's plate4.jpg
    Builder's plate4.jpg
    34.9 KB · Views: 276

SurabyaKid

Member III
Mark,

They look good. Would you consider a 4th type that was along the lines of Loren's generic plaque suggestion? (Leave out the Ericsonyachts.org, hull number, etc)

This would allow you to space out the lines vertically a bit as well.

Pat

Last edited:

Lucky Dog

Member III
We must be getting closer

The third plate of v.04 ( the last revision posted) could be left blank or a name (ie Scuppers) or hull number or.....

ml