• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Solar panels

Willpatten

Member II
Has anyone come up with a brilliant plan for installing solar panels that don't take up a lot of deck space but provide enough capacity to generate some real juice?
I have a radar mast on my E38 that sits into the transom. Anyone hang collectors on a mast like that?

Emerald

Don't know their capacity, but I've seen large panels mounted on the top of biminis. Of course, the bimini is always open in this configuration.

TRMN8R

Member II
Transom or aft is best since most panels drop efficiency real fast when placed in shaded spots which when moving can be a problem. That's why you'll see many of them mounted off the aft rail which minimizes or eliminates this issue. Hope this helps!

Glyn Judson

Locating solar panels.

Will, Some years ago I saw a clever design with a pair of panels mounted on either side of the upper rail of the pushpit, one to port, one to starboard. They were fitted in such a way as to be able to swing from the stowed vertical position to fully horizontal or more. I do remember that he cleverly used stainless Bimini fittings, the split kind, that wrapped around the upper rail and acted as a secure mount as well as a pivot point when positioning the panels. I just can't remember the clever locking method he used. Marty, are you reading this, you introduced me to him remember that fellow? Chime in and give more details will you? Among other things, he made his living doing high end boat painting as I recall. Remember him? Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

mark reed

Member III
We recently installed 2 85w panels on top of our bimini. This was the best location we could devise, but note that our radar casts a shadow across one panel for at least part of the day. OTOH, the radar mount provided an easy path for routing the wires from the solar panels down to the hull.
I've tried to attach a photo without success, but you can see a picture on our blog: sailingwithmarkandvicki.blogspot.com

Last edited:

Jon Libby

Member II
We've been thinking the same thing, what do we need. We are liking the "Solar stik". It answers a lot of problems for other things too. A bit pricey but maybe not when you think of the savings in work and other items needed for radar, and hoist. I like the fact that you can adjust the panels and get the right angle to the sun. Or you can retract them out ot the way. Also a wind generator can be mounted on top.

I think it solarstik.com

Has anybody seen this or used it?

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Chris Lab had a simple installation on his E-34, now owned by Ralph Hewitt.

Of course, this week you have an almost infinite set of examples because the Quebec Navy is on the Lake during the trades shutdown. A PITA, but if you want examples of how to clutter up a sailboat, they're here.
:soapbox:

Attachments

• CL Aquamarine (Medium).JPG
    CL Aquamarine (Medium).JPG
    83 KB · Views: 294

Rick Laporte

I have a 45 watt panel mounted to the outboard side of the twin back stays, on my E-27...works great, and the panel is out of the way.

Rick

Member I
I installed two 85 W solar panels on transom realings on E-32. I welded suport made of stainles steel tubings.

Attachments

• Pluski.jpg
    Pluski.jpg
    73.2 KB · Views: 323

Captron

Member III
Solar Panel Mounting

There are a couple of issues with solar panel mounting that require a bit more discussion. The picture shows Kismet's 120w Kyocera panel that I mounted on the davits.

One issue relates to solar panel efficiency. The most efficient panels are not necessarily the best for sailboat use. Monocrystalline panels are too sensitive to solar angle and shadows for most cruising sailboat applications. While they are certainly efficient when the sun is perpendicular and there are no shadows, the efficiency drops way off in less than ideal conditions.

Polycrystalline panels are a better choice for use where the solar angle may be compromised by the mounting location or where shadows may fall on the panel from time to time. The Kyocera 120TM that I have consistently produces 5 to 7 watts net (of the fridge running) during daylight hours say between 9am and 4pm (in winter). We do tilt the panel in the fore and aft direction; Forward in the morning and aft in the afternoon normally when cruising the Bahamas. Keep in mind that the usual breeze in the Bahamas is an easterly trade wind that is quite consistent so that at anchor the sun is rising over the bow and setting over the stern most of the time (current or tidal issues aside).

We run Kismet's fridge 24x7 when cruising (older Adler-Barbour air cooled Cold Machine) and tend to run 50 to 70 amp hour deficits over night. The solar panel will not make up that deficit. Because of this we are considering adding 2 Kyocera 130TM panels to the bimini top. Since these panels will be in shadows and at less than ideal angles, the additional 260 watts of potential power will likely translate to something around 80 to 100 watts during prime time. That will almost give us enough to recover our deficit and maybe we can limit engine running time to a couple of hours a week instead of a couple of hours a day.

Also I would add that the Kyocera panels (TM 120 and TM 130 anyway) both use standard 4x4 junction boxes with screw terminal strips rather than the usual MC connectors found on most panels. This makes wiring easier on a boat where you want to use marine grade components.

Just my 2 cents worth.
:egrin:

MVC-784X.JPG

Akavishon

Member III
I've seen this setup somewhere on sailnet, and decided to build it for my E32 ... have not done the wiring yet, so it's work-in-progress. I plan to add a port-side panel next year, if I'm happy with the starboard one. The panel is an 80W Solarex, got it for cheap on ebay.

First step was to remove the lifelines and install stainless tubing; 2nd step was to get the right h/w and mount the panel; 3rd step will be to route the wires (not sure how yet) ...

Zoran

Attachments

• PICT0001-6.jpg
    PICT0001-6.jpg
    80 KB · Views: 86
  • PICT0003-6.jpg
    PICT0003-6.jpg
    66.2 KB · Views: 78

Willpatten

Member II
Side pole mounts for solar

My '90 E38 has a 2 and a half inch mast seated on the stern with radar on the top. I've been looking at side pole mounts for panels. They limit the size of the panel to probably 80 to 100 watt but they'd be out of the way.
Does anyone use them?

Akavishon

Member III
So I've cruised for over a month now, with this solar panel attached to my starboard side, and never felt that it got in the way of sailing or boat handling. One needs to be a bit more careful when docking on that side, but other than that it was never a problem. Contrary to my expectations, the panel also doesn't get too beat up in rough seas (heel, waves, splash etc).

The only issue I've noticed is that the added weight changes the balance of the boat (the E32 is rather tender), so I'm slightly tilting to starboard ... the only way to tell is that the rainwater coming down the mast tends to spill over my mast step and run across the sole towards starboard. That will hopefully be fixed - and the balance restored - when I mount the port-side panel, next.

cheers, Zoran

tdtrimmer

Member II
Solar Panel mount

I designed a pole mount for an 85 watt solar panel that emables you to rotate and tilt the panel to achieve maximum power generation. The pole can also be used for an outboard motor crane.

Visit custommarineproducts.com for pictures and specifications. Also check out my blog on that site which provides panel selection and performance criteria. Several people have purchased two poles to mount two 85 watt panels.

Tom

tdtrimmer

Member II
Solar Panel on a Pole

I mounted an 85 watt Kyoceria solar panel on a 1.5 inch stainless pole attached to the stern rail of my Ericson 38. The panel can be tilted and rotated to achieve optimum sun angle. I have since had a number of these made and installed them on a variety of boats. A boat in the Bahamas installed two poles on the stern rail.

Check out my web site at custommarineproducts.com to see how it looks and works.

As you can see from my blog at this web site, I achieved an average of 25 amp-hours per day during July in Northern Lake Huron. This provided enough power to run refrigeration, instruments and lights for several days without using the engine alternator.

Tom

Akavishon

Member III
crossing the finish line

Finally, after almost a year, both my solar panels are installed, wired - DONE!

Now I'll need to figure out what to do with all that extra juice I'm getting every day for free ... ;)

Attachments

• CIMG4520.jpg
    CIMG4520.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 101