• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Information needed on E25 purchase

photobug

Member II
I am in the process of searching for a trailerable boat.

So far the search have been concerned on boats like the Ranger 23 and Catalina 25s as these are available around here. I have always been a fan of Ericsons having rented an E 28 years ago for a night sail on the SF Bay. I am currently racing an E38 as well.

So I have discovered some E23-2 and E25s and would like some more info on these boats. In particular there is a 1974 E25 with keel C/B configuration for sale on trailer, nearby that I am trying to go see on Wednesday. I see a lot more information on the 25+, but pictures and info on the 25 is hard to come by.

I would appreciate any suggestions on what to look for in this boat. It has been sitting on the trailer for quite a few years. It appears to have a good collection of sails. Motor is only a 7.5 horse and a short shaft, so I see that as an issue. What else should l look for in a 74 E25? How much slower is the Keel C/b than the FK?

Thanks for any info.

Jordan

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Jordan~ Click on my name, lots of photos in my album here on the Ericson site of my 25. Lookk at the rudder gudgeons and try to make sure the centerboard is there. Check your bulkheads and chainplates, pull the settee cushions to see the lower corners. Check the deck for sponginess and step hard around the mast base. Beyond that the rest is cosmetic. Look beyond the dirt and grime and you should have an idea if this boat has been taken care of. 7.5 is more than fine for it and a short shaft is ok, but wont allow you to go up front alone without sucking air. A 25cb is just as fast if not faster than the plus model. Any questions keep firing away. Rob

Last edited:

John Cyr

Member II
prepurchase info

As Rob points out above, the presence and condition of the centerboard is critical, while not really necessary for ballast, the board enhances upwind performance and minimizes leeway. Unfortunately, the original centerboards and rudders of these boats had metal cores. over time, the watertight integrity of the the surrounding fiberglass degrades, allowing moisture to attack the core which weeps and swells as it corrodes. This starts as a cosmetic issue but quickly grows into a structural one. I rebuilt both my cb and rudder back in 89 when I did a major hull blister repair/barrier coat job, but am now looking at replacing both foils completely. good news is that both are available in the aftermarket (tho not cheap)
Unfortunately, unless the boat is on a trailer designed for a keelboat (ie high) it is pretty much impossible to inspect the condition of the centerboard while on the trailer. You should be able to verify that it is actually there however.
Inspect the rudder for cracks weeping rust. be wary of fresh paint possibly hidiing same, especially if nothing else has fresh paint.

The fact that the boat you are looking at has a trailer is a plus, the stock E25 is 5400 # +, which requires a stout (tandem axle with brakes) trailer and accordingly a full size truck (1/2 ton or bigger) to pull it. Suitable trailers are difficult to find and expensive when and if you do.

Check to see if the boat has the One man mast raising option, this is huge. If it does (the cap shrouds will have fittings for the boom bridle about 18" above the chainplate turnbuckles) it makes it much easier to step/unstep the mast using the boom as a gin pole and the main sheet as lifting tackle)
If not, trailer sailing will be much harder.

I could go on and on, as could the rest (there are at least 2 other active 25 owners on this site) I don't know about the 25+ (its actually a very different boat. Good luck and keep us advised.
John

wolly bugger

Member II
prepurchase info

Hope you are still considering that eriscon 25. I will not be the most helpful here since I just recently bought my boat (1978 E25 cb) and have only sailed it a few times. But it trailers very nice, even on these rough Alaska roads! My 1/2 ton has no problems pulling it. I also have the mast raising system - it works great but I still think it's a 2 person job. As for the boat, I don't race it but it's perfect as a weekender for my little family of 4.

This is a very nice trailerable sailboat. My wife and daughters even approve of it!

Attachments

• IMG_3440.jpg
    IMG_3440.jpg
    74.7 KB · Views: 94
Last edited:

photobug

Member II
Thanks for the info.

I am still interested in the E25. I have been distracted planning my wedding and could not travel to look at a sailboat. There are two available in my price range and hopefully one or both will be available next month when I am back from my honeymoon.

I really am looking forward to checking out the E25. In the mean time we bought another boat. A west wight potter for only $1000, it will be our trailer sailor and if we get an E25 it will live in the marina.

When you camp out on your boat can you and your wife fit in the v-berth or do you sleep separately on the other berths? What about storage? What kind of long term storage is there for dingy, and food for long term cruising? Is the area behind the stairs towards the stern, a storage area?

BTW both boats I am looking at have rebuilt CBs. One has a 15 HP and the other 7.5 HP, one seems too much and one too little, 9.9 seems more like what I would want.

Anyway just daydreaming about E25 ownership. I will hopefully be able to look at them at the end of next month.

Jordan

wolly bugger

Member II
E 25 cb

My wife had been sleeping in the v-berth with the twins and I sleep on one of the bench. 2 adults could fit but it will be a little cramp I think. You do have storage under the cockpit but you should also have the water thank and battery bank in there, a little carpentry will make it a lot more user friendly. You also have storage under both bench as well as under the v-berth. And then some more at the chart table and in the galley. who also could use some modification to make better use of the room available. For weekend and occasional week long cruising I think this will be plenty.

I agree with you that a 9.9 would be best. I have a 15 horse 2 stroke right now and it does move the boat at 6 knots no problem I'm sure the 9.9 and even the 7.5 could do that on calm water. Somebody might correct me but I heard somewhere that you need about 1.5 horse per 1000 # ( or 3 horse per tone) to push a boat at hull speed on calm water (which is 7.5 for a E25), you will need a little more to keep hull speed on rough water.

If you have any more question let us know.

Last edited: