• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

T-Shaped cockpit

Beanruben

Member I
Am I the only one that finds this t-shaped cockpit annoying? Although I have short legs, we like to hang on the mooring and stretch our legs out. We have now built a wooden table with removable slats / cushion that fits into the starboard side. Just wondering if anyone else has had an issue with this and what they might have done about it?:egrin:

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On the contrary, I find the t-shaped cockpit a real help--makes it easier to get around the steering wheel on our E30+, allows me to bring the jib sheets back in that aft area to get them out from under the legs of guests/crew in the cockpit, makes it easier to get into the stern lockers at the transom.

We also anchor out alot, and my wife and I love to sit in the cockpit with our backs against the bulkhead by the companionway, legs stretched out towards the stern. We are lucky that we don't have any instruments on that bulkhead, so it's easy to lean against, and with a cushion to sit on it's really comfortable.

So although we may use our boats differently, maybe there's other ways to enjoy the boat despite the t-shaped cockpit.

Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Filling in the "T"

Not an Ericson... but another well-designed / built cruiser-racer that I sometimes get to sail on has a T-shape cockpit, and like several Ericsons (and Olsons) came standard with a tiller (with a wheel optional). It is a Yamaha 33, if you are curious.

Note that this particular boat has a factory set of teak slatted seats that lock into an aluminum channel across the back and have two slide bolts to secure the fronts. Each end rests on teak cleats.

Full length seats for lounging and sleeping -- and loads of cockpit room for happy hour when the tiller is vertical.
Anyone could make some similar fill pieces if they have the tiller version of the Ericson/Olson.
If your boat has the wheel, you really need the width around the side of the wheel for access.

I do not know if this moves the discussion along, or misses the original point (!). :)

Oh well, more ideas can't hurt....
:rolleyes:

Loren

Attachments

• seat in place.jpg
    seat in place.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 46
  • channel shown.jpg
    channel shown.jpg
    61.8 KB · Views: 48
  • seat supports portSide.jpg
    seat supports portSide.jpg
    35.6 KB · Views: 58
  • TeakSeat bottom.jpg
    TeakSeat bottom.jpg
    77.7 KB · Views: 37
Last edited:

paul culver

Member III
I actually prefer the T. It gives me my own private zone when I'm at the helm. Of course this breaks down when somebody else has a fish on and comes scrambling into my zone to reel it in.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

Captron

Member III
Prefer the T

I actually prefer the T. It gives me my own private zone when I'm at the helm. Of course this breaks down when somebody else has a fish on and comes scrambling into my zone to reel it in.

Paul
E29 "Bear"

yeah man, I hate that especially when it's the wife.

:egrin:

CaptDan

Member III
T's For Me

On the contrary, I find the t-shaped cockpit a real help--

The T-cockpit was among my top 5 reasons I bought an Ericson. Our previous boat had the traditional athwartships, open cockpit seating. With a tiller it was like riding a bus with all the passengers in each others' faces.

In the olden days, when the MKII Ericson line was conceived, the T-cockpit was a real advantage in tiller racing trim. The helmsperson sat forward near the companionway, while the sheet handlers were stationed aft. The T's thwart also served as an ideal perch for the usually optional wheel.

I appreciate the 'zen' of the split-T arrangement as well. The helmsperson works in a dedicated space, which I think contributes to steering concentration while providing excellent eye-lines to the trim of the jib.

Your Knotspeed Might Vary.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Dan, I thought that the rear cockpit in your boat was actually divided by a full width molding with a mainsheet on top. This is different yet than than a T-shape, where the sole goes back to the end of the cockpit.

For sure, everything's a compromise, and I agree with you about driving with the wheel in traffic... but I do sometimes miss being able to sit down while steering with the hiking stick in my prior boat...
:rolleyes:

If it were not for the AP, wheel steering would involve way too much mandatory standing, imho.

:)

Loren

CaptDan

Member III
Dan, I thought that the rear cockpit in your boat was actually divided by a full width molding with a mainsheet on top. This is different yet than than a T-shape, where the sole goes back to the end of the cockpit.

Loren

Indeed it is. I've always assumed (and you know what they say about ASSumption:egrin:) the molding (thwart) was the 'cross' of the 'T.' But now that you mention it, I've likely been wrong about that all this time.:)

Oh well. If I can't cross my 'Ts' - I'll be sure to dot those 'eyes.':egrin:

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
Sitting at the wheel

I have the divided cockpit on my E29. This year in prep for the Dauphin Island race (18 nautical miles) my helmsman suggested we install a rounded seat that is the with of the center lid in the back of the cockpit seating. The seat is rounded and about 9” high we also added foot rest that gives a place for your feet that is more level when the boat is laid over and the correct positioning to allow for rest and sitting on the humpy seat. We borrowed the basic idea from a Seidelman 30. This made the race very little strain on Bruce 76 years and a pacemaker, at the wheel for the entire race and about three hours of making our way out to the start and the motoring into the marina for the night.

This allows sitting at the wheel straight up or laid down rails in the water. I find that the cockpit divider is a great feature and with the humpy seat the boat is a pleasure at any angle.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
I have the divided cockpit on my E29. This year in prep for the Dauphin Island race (18 nautical miles) my helmsman suggested we install a rounded seat that is the with of the center lid in the back of the cockpit seating. The seat is rounded and about 9” high we also added foot rest that gives a place for your feet that is more level when the boat is laid over and the correct positioning to allow for rest and sitting on the humpy seat. We borrowed the basic idea from a Seidelman 30. This made the race very little strain on Bruce 76 years and a pacemaker, at the wheel for the entire race and about three hours of making our way out to the start and the motoring into the marina for the night.

This allows sitting at the wheel straight up or laid down rails in the water. I find that the cockpit divider is a great feature and with the humpy seat the boat is a pleasure at any angle.

Photos please! Seat and the foot rest.
;)

Loren

Mark F

Contributing Partner
Blogs Author
I would also like to see some photos. I've been planning something like that for my 27.