• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Steering Quadrant

celtium

Member III
Were all 38's built with Yacht Specialty quads? From review of the online catalog, and reading everyones comments about AP installs, it appears everyones quads are forward of the steering pedestal.

I need to get back down to the boat, but mine surely has, what appears to be the steering quad aft of the pedestal???

The heavy radiused quad with the slot for the cables is aft. Hmmm...it also appears to be a circle not a quad. The stop are mounted on the aft portion, outer circle of the quad and uses a piece of wood(?) mounted to the lazerette to stop the turn. So when you open the lazerette and look straight down on the forward portion, you see the radii of the quad and the stop . I know I need to look but does anyone know? I live 1 1/2 hours away and my curiosity is killing me!! My rig is a 1989 38-200, could there have been a different quad used?

Currently I am waffling between the CPT & the Raymarine ram. It would appear that the ram will mount aft of the steering ped.

Knowledge would be helpful.

Thanks

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay

Last edited:

celtium

Member III
That's it

I think Steve's is the one! Loren, your's is close, the stop is spot on, but the quad on mine, in the rear, the surface area is solid.

So, the question/assumption is that the ram mounts aft, which is contrary to the other posts on this site? Assuming that's correct, it would appear that these quads are solid enough that one could drill the ram pin directly to the quad itself? One problem with this though...is that this type of mount would expose the ram to your gear in the laz, unless one were to build a partition to protect it out of marine plywood?

Also, I may have to call Raymarine on this one, but the Type I ram is supposed to be 10" from the axis of the rudder stock. Why? It would seem that if you got it 1" or so closer i.e. 9" to the rudder stock, it would take care of the 'short arm' issue that seems to be a problem?

Thanks again for all y'alls help!:egrin:

Jay
Celtica
E 38-200
SF Bay

Last edited:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
concentrated force

I remember seeing yet another thread with a picture of a reinforced quadrant with a big piece of G10 plate overlaid and attached to it, and that carried the AP load as I seem to recall.

The thing is, the metal in that casting that is "solid" between the rib parts may be way too thin to carry the point loading of the AP ram attachment. The forces that close to the pivot point are truly huge...
It would be like having tiller steering and trying to steer by only gripping the tiller arm ten inches from the rudder head. :nerd:

Something to consider.

Best,
Loren

celtium

Member III
True

There was an in depth discussion about 1 1/2 years ago? But it seemed the quads in discussion were the 'older' models. It would appear that Ericson changed the quad they used at some point. Is it even Yacht Specialties?

Is there anyone in the group that has installed an AP on this quad? It would seem that the ram would have to be installed from the rear, which leads to a need to protect it in the lazerette.

I do agree that it may not be heavy enough to mount to directly. But it may not need the heavier reinforcement that's been used on the other quads. The other quads are not a solid unit like these. I may put a micrometer on it to check its thickness though as it appears to be hella stout:nerd:.

Thanks

Jay
E 38-200
SF Bay