• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Where are electric fuses located?

I have a 1987 E-35 MK-3 (Hull # 261) and some of the electrical hardware is suddenly not getting any electricity. The refrigerator isn't turning on in 110 V mode, and none of the 110 electric outlets are getting any power either.

Most of the 12-volt hardware is working, but the depth, wind, and knot meters which are all on one switch on the 12-volt panel are not working.

In trying to solve this problem, I looked for the fuses to see if any had burned out, but I am unable to locate them. Can anyone tell me where the 110 and 12-volt fuses are located?

Alan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Alan,
Look at the picture in reply #15 in this thread:
http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=2158&referrerid=28
Your Ericson factory power panel (12 volt DC and 110 volt AC) should look the same.
(Well, except for the amp meter I replaced with an amphour meter.)
:nerd:

Let's start with that. Is the master shore power breaker on? Indicator light on?
Tell us (or better yet post a picture) what breakers and labels you see.

OK, not the whole answer, but we need to start somewhere....
:rolleyes:

"More news as it happens!" as the talking heads say on the telly................
:)

Later,
Loren

Loren,

Those 12 and 110-volt panels don't look anything like the ones on our 1987 E-35 MK-3 (hull # 261). Our 12-v panel has two colums of toggle switches, with seven in each colum. The 110 panel has a total of five switches: the master switch, Air conditioning, water heater, 110 outlets, and battery chargerr.

The E-35 owners manual describes the factory-installed 110 panel as having a Ground Fault Circuit Interrupt (GFCI) switch, which has a reset and test buttons. The manual states:

"On hull numbers 234 and after, a Ground fault Circuit Interupter (BFCI) outlet is wired into the 110 volt outlet circuit. All other outlets are wired into the outlet circuit "downstream" of the OFCI outlet. This outlet is equipped with its own circuit breaker which would shut off the power should a circuit malfunction occur caused by an appliance in use at any of the protected outlets."

Our 110 panel doesn't have the GFCI switch described in the manual, even though our #261 hull is supposed to include this feature.

All of the lights on the five switches on our 110-V panel come on when switched on, including the master power switch, so as the saying goes, "The lights are on, but nobody is home."

We're still trying to locate any 12 or 110-V fuses, but no luck thus far.

Alan

Emerald

Hi Alan,

Check chapter 5 of the 35-3manual in docs and specs section. For the 12 volt panel, it mentions "breaker-type switches" for the panel, so those individual switches are also your fuses.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
Loren,

Yes, I have that manual, and it also describes the AC panel as having a GFCI switch that has a reset and test button. My AC panel does not have this.

The survey done on this boat notes that the electrical system has both circuit-breakers and glass fuses. That's why I am trying to locate these fuses. (I guess I'll have to ask the surveyor where he found them.)

Alan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Oops, by golly there IS a difference

I found some photos of an E-35-3 panel from listings at Yachtworld, for an '85 and an '86. Looks like Ericson made some changes for the panels on the larger models (including our Olson) for the '88 boats.
Loren

Attachments

• 2081330_15.jpg
    2081330_15.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 70
  • 2083379_23.jpg
    2083379_23.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 65
Loren,

Okay, the photo on the right is close, but not identical to my 1987 E-35 MK-3. The position of the volt meter on the 12-V panel is reversed, and it looks like the AC panel has a knob or something that is absent on mine. So I guess Ericson Yachts continued to make changes to these panels in the 87 model.

Alan

It's in the 110v outlet

Alan,

The GFCI is in the first power outlet down the hot wire from the 110v panel breaker labeled A/C Outlets. It is probably close to the breaker panel. All other outlets should be in series with this outlet, and must be downstream of this one for them to be protected. The GFCI is very fast-acting to protect you from electricution. The circuit breakers on your panel are slower-acting. They will save most equipment, but not you.

You can tell which it is by the two buttons - TEST & RESET - between the two plug-ins on the outlet. You'll see these in kitchens, baths, boats, and anywhere else you could touch an outlet and water at the same time.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I found some photos of an E-35-3 panel from listings at Yachtworld, for an '85 and an '86. Looks like Ericson made some changes for the panels on the larger models (including our Olson) for the '88 boats.
Loren

And mine is different from that. I did have an analog VM on the upper left but my Xantrex Link 20 is over that spot now. 1985 #218

PICT0017.jpg

Last edited:
Gary,

Yes, we found the outlet which had the reset and test buttons, and pressing them restored electrical power to the outlets. We also determined why the Norcold fridge wasn't coming on; it has a bad compressor. As for the depth meter not coming on, it turned out to be a seperate switch located to the left of the 12-V panel which was switched off. I don't know why it would need to have more than one switch.

Alan
Alan,

The GFCI is in the first power outlet down the hot wire from the 110v panel breaker labeled A/C Outlets. It is probably close to the breaker panel. All other outlets should be in series with this outlet, and must be downstream of this one for them to be protected. The GFCI is very fast-acting to protect you from electricution. The circuit breakers on your panel are slower-acting. They will save most equipment, but not you.

You can tell which it is by the two buttons - TEST & RESET - between the two plug-ins on the outlet. You'll see these in kitchens, baths, boats, and anywhere else you could touch an outlet and water at the same time.

Rocinante33

Contributing Partner
Loren

Loren,

Looking at this again, I don't think Ericson made changes. I think those panels are the same but an owner has replaced the battery switch on the photo on the left. In the photo on the right, an owner added a connector of some sort to the AC panel.

Tim's Link 20 added into the panel directly makes for a very clean installation!