• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30+ Keel Bolt Pattern?

sbrunner

We recently purchased a E30+ and need to drop and rebed the keel, it's a shoal draft. Has anyone done this on this boat? I need specifically to know the pattern of the bolts, how many etc.., as it looks like we'll have to bore into the cabin sole to gain access...? So for we can see and possibly access with a universal on an extension: two pairs in the center (4 bolts), 2 centerline bolts forward, and one centerline bolt aft? are there any others? Any info/advice on this would be greatly appreciated.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
On my 30+ I have seen the two forward bolts (accessed inside the locker forward of the dinette) and the two pairs under the bilge access covers under the dinette. Where are you finding the single aft bolt? In the bottom of the locker aft of the dinette there is a glued-in formical cover. Is that where you found it? I've always suspected there is at least one keel bolt under there. Based on my observation of the length of the keel where it meets the hull when my boat was hauled a few months ago, I imagine that's all there are; possibly one more in-line bolt aft.

Last edited:

sbrunner

Yup - exactly what I'm finding. There is for sure one centerline, aft, accessed under the dinette seat, same us under forward dinette seat. Aft, I have a 4" or so hole with a cover, I can see and touch the bolt through there. The 2 forward centerline ones we can see and think we can get those via universal joint on an extension. So I would say 7 total for sure that we can see. You would have thought they would have designed in a little better access, it seems we'll have to bore at least one hole aft in the cabin sole to get a socket on the aft one. I would just really like to know if there any others. - Scott

sbrunner

Well, I was able to get my hand all the way into the back cavity, almost couldn't get it back out. For sure there is only one bolt in there. I guess now we just have to sort out a way to get a socket and torque on the 2 forward centerline ones and the aft one. Looks like we'll be boring at least a 1" hole aft in the cabin sole to pass the extension through, we can at least get the socket and universal in the inspection port. If anyone else has dealt with getting sockets on E30+ keel bolts, please let me know. - Scott

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
You can check out some of the links to other keel bolt projects at the bottom of the page or do a search. One of the ones I saw was for an Ericson/Olsen 34 and it shows 9 keel bolts, so I guess the 30+ having seven might be about right.

Or you'll find out when you try to drop the keel and it won't.

Last edited:

Chris S.

Inactive Member
30+ Keel bolts

I've had my 1986 30+ for two years now and have noticed a seam opening up at the keel/hull point. Can you tell me how many keel bolts there are and are they accessible? I'd appreciate any feedback.
Thanks,
Chris

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
I have seen/felt 6 keel bolts in my 1985 E30+.

Four are located under the two bilge access covers under the dinette table; two bolts, side-by-side, under each cover.

Two more are located in the bilge under the forward dinette setee. These are oriented one in front of the other about a foot apart; one is easy to access through a hole cut in the bottom of the locker under the setee (at least my boat has a hole in there.) I don't know how you can access the bolt that is aft of this one; I can reach in through the hole and feel it, but don't know how it could be accessed short of removing the setee and the floor.

I suspect there is a 7th bolt behind the two that are under the access cover near the aft dinette setee, but I have never seen it. Maybe there isn't one.

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
On our 1984 E30+ there is a single keel bolt behind the 4 in the access covers that Mark mentioned above. On our boat it is accessible through a 4" round cover in the bottom corner of the locker under the seat by the bulkhead that separates the galley from the salon dinette. So I think there are 7 keel bolts altogether.

Frank

sailorman37

Member II
My 1980 30+ appears to have 11 keel bolts. There are 4 pairs (8) under the dinette table, one single one fore and 2 single ones aft. The very last one is raised up a few inches and actually a smaller bolt. They forward pair and single can be reached from inside the dinette seat, but I already have an access hole under the sole.

Attachments

• IMG_8238.JPG
    IMG_8238.JPG
    87.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8239.JPG
    IMG_8239.JPG
    73.4 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_8240.JPG
    IMG_8240.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 60
  • IMG_8241.JPG
    IMG_8241.JPG
    70.5 KB · Views: 53

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
Yes, that looks quite different from the keel bolt pattern in my 1984 E30+. I'm wondering if you have the same 5' 11" draft fin keel, or if maybe you have a shoal draft keel to explain the difference?

Frank

sailorman37

Member II
It has a draft of 5' 10". It's not the best for the west coast of FL - tends to ground in the slip on the winter lows. I think the groundings last year loosened the seal so I plan on fixing that this summer when I pull the boat.