Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 64 Bit Vista and Navigation Software

>> I've had good experience with XP on both my PCs. One machine is a dedicated audio production device running some pretty hefty apps. It's never burped crashed or burned.
    My jaundice with Vista is for good reason; it's not only incompatible with the software I've toiled to put together, (drivers, etc) but Micr0soft saw fit to include background 'crippling' algos designed to downgrade certain audio performance specs. It has to do with 'DRM,' and I'll be damned if I invest in something that isn't supposed to actually work for my purposes.
    That said, my wife is a Vista-happy-camper. She runs it on her business machines and, like you, swears by it. So, to each his/her own.
    I thought I'd mention this so nobody'd think I was dissing MS indiscriminately.
    It's just that sometimes I get a little hot under the collar with technological obsolescence, and the notion that if it works - fix it is so it doesn't.

Capt Dan:

Thanks for detailing what your problems were with Vista.

As a computer consultant, I purchase, test, and use different hardware and software, so that I can provide credible advice to clients, as opposed to quoting heresy/hype/etc.

And, "sometimes I get a little hot under the collar" with generalized and evangelical bashing of Windows (or Macs) by people who clearly have little or no experience with the product they are bashing.

Also, I do not "swear by Vista", I swear by what works for a given user. For normal use, I use what works best for me, and that currently is Windows 7 RC.

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Very similar thread today on the Cascadia List (NW sailors), and there seems to be good commentary on something called "Rose Point."
    Copy pasting this comment for you consideration:

"Here's a fairly comprehensive list of Charting programs. A check of those in your price range is an easy CLICK away.
    Each has an internet site... http://freenavcharts.com/index.php?p...ge=NavSoftware
    I'd sure check out each and what they offer."

Best,
    Loren
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by CWM View Post
    >>

"sometimes I get a little hot under the collar" with generalized and evangelical bashing of Windows (or Macs) by people who clearly have little or no experience with the product they are bashing.

Also, I do not "swear by Vista", I swear by what works for a given user. For normal use, I use what works best for me, and that currently is Windows 7 RC.
    I'm quite familiar with 'digital dogma.' In my former life I had opportunity to spend plenty of time in the hallowed halls of Silicon Valley - Apple, Intel, SGI, HP, etc. I was exposed to all the 'religions.' I'll leave it at that.

Also, I'm keeping a close eye on Win7's development. I'm considering some upgrades in my studio and it may be that op/sys will play a key role in my decision making.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Contributing Partner
    !Kidding!

Huh, I had assumed, obviously incorrectly in some cases, that the pro Apple, evangelical Windows/Vista/MS bashers were probably living in some type of Assisted Boating Facility.

That being true, I could easily understand why they couldn't quickly adapt to Vista.

(It's still a bit early here. If my, perhaps weak, attempt at humor did not come across as intended it is totally withdrawn.)

Enjoy,
    Bob
    Bob and Sandy Robertson
    Anticipation
    Ericson 38-200, 1988
    Bayfield, WI

Sustaining Partner

Explorer Charts

I've been looking over the MapTech site and recently discovered that they have a 'new' provider for their Bahamas coverage. The 'New' provider is 'WavyLine' Charts.

WavyLine makes charts that cover the Turks & Caicos Islands, Dominican Republic and most of the Caribbean (areas not covered by Explorer). While they're ok charts, they are not as good as Explorer Charts when it comes to the Bahamas. In fact, the T&C charts are wrong in places, you can ask my firends on Mandalay about their grounding and rudder damage due to errors there.

Explorer Charts are now supported only on C-Map Max and C-Map NT, BlueChart 6.0 and Nobeltec's Passport Deluxe. I do not recommend MapTech's 'update' to the Bahamas based on the Wavyline series.

It's also likely that if you have the Bahamas on a Maptech format CD from say more than 3 years ago, it's the Explorer version and Fugawi can read them as well. In fact I'll bet that if you have the BlueChart, C-Map or Passport versions of the Explorer charts that you can use them with Fugawi.

Fugawi is not only cheap but it seems to read about every format of digital chart that's available including my Maptech library. Maptech is getting close to making my list of unfavorites. It's been a while since I ran Fugawi, I guess it deserves another look.

It also turns out that Maptech now charges for tide table updates. They used to be free. I don't particularly care as I have perpetual tide tables for the world (I think) in a separate application. WXTide32.

Nope I was mistaken. WXTide32 only goes out to 2037 but it is worldwide. Hey what do you want for FREE! Check it out at http://www.wxtide32.com/
    its cool. By the way the new version is WXTide47.

Try it you'll like it ... oops dating myself again.

Capt Ron
    E-38 Kismet
    Auburndale, Florida
    Visit my web pages

Sustaining Member

+1 Rose Point

Quote Originally Posted by Loren Beach View Post
    Very similar thread today on the Cascadia List (NW sailors), and there seems to be good commentary on something called "Rose Point."
    Copy pasting this comment for you consideration:

"Here's a fairly comprehensive list of Charting programs. A check of those in your price range is an easy CLICK away.
    Each has an internet site... http://freenavcharts.com/index.php?p...ge=NavSoftware
    I'd sure check out each and what they offer."

Best,
    Loren
    I use Rose Point's Coastal Explorer and am very happy. It has loaded up on all vista and XP machines that I've tried as well as a Windows emulator running under Linux (Centos) that I tried out one day.

I use to run Maptech ON but did not like the companies take on chart fees and the attitude of a few of their sales staff that I talked to. Just my choice. (not to speak of the law suit on BSB encryption decoders).

I've found the folks at Rose Point to be approachable.

Regards, ethan

PS I notice that Milltech Marine is still running their discount on CE when you buy an AIS receiver. $299 rather than $399. I use CE with AIS and really like it. Getting data on AIS equipped ships has been quite helpful. (No interest in either company other than a satisfied customer)
    Last edited by evm; 08-20-2009 at 01:54 PM.

Contributing Member I

Thumbs up Open CPN

openCPN 2.1.0 working well with win7 64 bit use raster and vector maps from NOAA all free and open source software as well
    for the mac and linux users there is also versions for them if you had tried opencpn in the past give it a second look they have revamped the interface and added a lot of features making it as easy to use as any other nav software out there

Thanks for tip on Open CPN. Wasn't aware of it.

Have downloaded and now messing around with it (on XP). Comparing to Seaclear.

Haven't hooked it up to GPS yet, but so far seems pretty good. Easy to load up the charts and the quilting feature seems to work pretty well.

Can't figure out how to merge routes. I might have to read the documentation (even though I don't believe in the concept of documentation).

--Steve
    Steve and Paula
    Indigo E35-2 #446
    Annapolis

GPS antenna

I'm liking this software so far. . .

. . . but turns out my GPS antenna is shot.

Anyone with recommendations on a GPS antenna for hookup to PC? Also, suggestions welcome on USB v. WiFi v. Bluetooth.

Thanks

--Steve
    Steve and Paula
    Indigo E35-2 #446
    Annapolis

Blog Entries

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by steven View Post
    I'm liking this software so far. . .

. . . but turns out my GPS antenna is shot.

Anyone with recommendations on a GPS antenna for hookup to PC? Also, suggestions welcome on USB v. WiFi v. Bluetooth.

Thanks

--Steve
    http://www.gpsnavx.com/
    And then click on the link for the BU-353 usb gps antenna. I have used one for several years. Works fine -- it's a Mac/Windows/whatever device.

lb
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Loren Beach; 08-16-2010 at 08:11 PM.
    1988 Olson 34 #8
    Sail # 28400
    Betamarine 25 (new 2018)
    Fresh Air
    Portland, OR USA

I know this is an old thread, but here's my recent experience

http://c34.org/bbs/index.php/topic,5747.0.html

Contributing Member I

Grib

just found the grib data feature on new openCPN great for us who like to see what the wind patern is like

Stu,

Thanks. Interesting and helpful link especially re GPS.

I am having fun fussing with OpenCP. Only issue so far is that it appears that bearings are true and there is no feature to convert bearings to magnetic. For me this is a big problem since I navigate in magnetic. Maybe it's there and I just can't find it. Anyone have experience with this?

--Steve
    Steve and Paula
    Indigo E35-2 #446
    Annapolis

Steve, I've heard of this before. If I can remember, I'll try to find it for you.

One solution is to know the difference between your magnetic and true in your sailing area and do some quick math in your head. I'm still trying to find some earlier posts on other message boards. You could try googling OpenCP and do some reading about it.