• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

64 Bit Vista and Navigation Software

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
So I have never had anything nice to say about Vista and now I am finding out that Maptech Offshore Navigator software will not install with 64 bit vista. Can any of you tech gurus comment on this? I just bought a new laptop with 64 bit vista installed and was really hoping to use it on the boat. Is there any hope?

Captron

Member III
I was afraid of that

I was having my share of laptop issues last month when I tried to install SP3 on XP. I thought I was going to have to buy a new laptop and I was quite concerned about that very issue. Especially after I took my 3 yr old laptop to a professional shop for help and they couldn't fix it either. Turns out that the Microsoft website had some technically correct and almost useless info that helped me through fixing it myself.

I not only run Maptech but I have a number of older programs like my tide tables that run in a separate app. Satellite phone software, email compression software, games, movies, playlists, etc. there's likely a bunch of stuff that I may find difficult to reinstall under Vista.

Fortunately, I'm not yet conversant in Vista BUT ...

Is there an option to bring up a DOS prompt in Vista? Maybe if you run the install .exe from a command prompt it'll install? In XP, if you open "ALL Programs" and then click on Accessories, there's an app called 'Command Prompt' which is, I think a 32 bit command line. Might be worth a shot if Vista has such a tool.

Good luck with it. If you figure it out let us know.

I don't understand how people can afford to switch to a new operating system when they have to replace all of their applications software too. It's incredible to me how Microcrap can stay in business when it is so cavalier in it's attitude toward customers. I keep thinking that my next computer will run Linux or maybe I'll even buy a Mac, I'm so fed up with IBM Jr.
:ignore:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
According to this article some version of Maptech are not supported on Vista 64.

http://www.maptechnavigation.com/support/doc.cfm?docid=573

This is something you should have checked before committing to Vista 64. Contact the company you bought your laptop from to see if they will allow you to exchange for a 32bit version. If you are within 30 days most dealers will take it back.

Your only other option is to purchase Vista 32 or XP pro. XP pro may be a problem as the laptop manufacturer may not have written XP drivers for this particular laptop which may lock you into Vista(32 or 64).

And Ron, it is not just MSs fault. They provide the development code to SW vendors so they can modify their apps to run on the new operating systems. It is the vendor who makes you pay for it. It is also the vendor who doesn't get it done in time for the OS release. And the reason the OS changes is because of changes in chipsets so now you can also blame Intel and AMD. If these companies kept everything the same, people would complain about that too.

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Oh Maptech has a nice "NEW" version that will run with 64 bit Vista, and it only costs $500....

As I am just getting started on laptop navigation I am not too upset because i dont really have any existing nav software. I did buy Maptechs US charts but I think they are BSB or raster charts which aught to work with most nav software.

Agree with all other comments here. Main reason I did not go out of my way to find an XP box was because i dont have any other software to convert. I'm looking at Figawi now. They have a system that supposedly works with vista but I have not yet determined if the 64 bit part matters.

Do any of you know about SeaClear? Its free and uses rater charts, but i dont know about Vista 64 bit issues. I have not yet gotten the new laptop but its being shipped. Bought it through Beast Buy so i should be able to return if all this blows up in my face.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I wouldn't even take delivery. If you need a new laptop now then get it with XP. If you can wait a year, get one with Windows 7.

Unless you are fairly computer literate, you will hate Vista. It takes quite a bit to get it tuned properly. I have been a network engineer for over 20 years and it took me some time to get it where I liked it. And I can tell you it is not as bad as everyone makes it out to be. Most of those naysayers are either anti MS or just aren't very smart. And there are a lot of the latter around these days.:rolleyes:

If you have to get Vista, get 32 bit. There is likely nothing you will load that will need the 64 bits anyway. We are talking high end graphics stuff that need very fast refresh rates, CAD software, gaming software, etc.

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
I will likely end up returning the laptop if I am unable to get the software to run well on it just as you suggest. Maptech tells me that their Offshore Navigator Lite will not run on XP 64 bit. So I am guessing I will need to get a machine that runs on 32 bit XP. Will that not put a ceiling on the type of processor I can run in the laptop? Guessing you do not have experience with SeaClear either? Any thoughts on the Fugawi ENC stuff?

Wow Tim you and I have almost the exact same number of posts on this board...

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
This from the lovely folks at Fugawi:

Mr. Reshetiloff,

Fugawi Marine ENC will operate on Windows Vista 64 bit OS. However, it does not take advantage of the 64 bit features, it operates as it does on Windows Vista 32 bit.

Fugawi Marine ENC includes all the NOAA RNC and ENC format charts.

Thinking I may go this route. Tim mentioned the 64 bit really only needed for CAD and gaming. One my Ericson sells I will be doing a lot of gaming, and when I get my new boat I will probably need CAD to help design all the upgrades:mad:

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Ok, you had to make it a race didn't you Ted.

There now I am one ahead:egrin:...for now.

64 bit processors have been out for a while and XP(32) will run on 64 bit processors. It just will not utililize the 64 bits. Only 32.

When it comes to navigation SW, I really only have experience with Garmin Mapsource. I have a 3206 at the helm with 2 handheld backup units. I use my laptop for trip planning and backing up my waypoints and routes only.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This from the lovely folks at Fugawi:

Mr. Reshetiloff,

Fugawi Marine ENC will operate on Windows Vista 64 bit OS. However, it does not take advantage of the 64 bit features, it operates as it does on Windows Vista 32 bit.

Fugawi Marine ENC includes all the NOAA RNC and ENC format charts.

Nice of them to "give" you the free downloads from NOAA, and you will very likely be doing your own d/l to get the most current charts direct from the source....
:rolleyes:

Although, to yield slightly to the Devil's Advocate argument, some folks do not like doing their own downloads.

Loren

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Tim. Its really kind of funny how long it has taken me to begin to embrace using a laptop onboard for navigation. I recall seeing several big threads here years ago and paid little attention because I had other issues to contend with. Now I'm sort of wishing I would have paid more attention. I emailed the folks at Seaclear to see what they had to say and will advise whne I know.

Bob Robertson

Member III
XP compatibility mode under Vista 64 Bit

Hi Ted,

I've been running Vista 64 bit for a while. I'm a tech guy and I do like it, but it took a while to make the transition.
I am running Maptech offshore navigator Lite 5.08.
You can tell vista to run your Maptech version in compatibility mode, like XP service pack 2.
To make the change, do a right mouse click on the Maptech icon and select properties, then select compatibility, change the panel to look like the panel below.
Let me know how it works out. If you have problems send me an email and we can work on it over the phone.

Enjoy,
Bob

Attachments

• Maptech.jpg
    Maptech.jpg
    32.1 KB · Views: 266

CaptDan

Member III
Mykr0$loth

If you need a new laptop now then get it with XP. .

Yep. You MIGHT find -oh - six or seven individuals on the planet who've deluded themselves into believing Vi$ta's the bee's knees. I'm not one of 'em.
I'll run my XP machines into the dust, at which point I intend to jump ship.

My opinion: MS is due for a serious retooling, reorganizing and a brand new vision. There's a reason Apple's been kicking 'em in the shorts. Perhaps Fiat might be interested in adding MS to its Chrysler acquisition.

Fix It Again, Tony! :egrin:

EDIT: And yes - I'm probably NOT very smart. My relative intelligence has been sinking ever since I traded DOS for Winda$ 3.1.:p

Rant off.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Last edited:

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Thanks Bob. I will probably be in touch. I think I have the Offshore Navigator Lite version you mention so soon as the laptop arrives Ill give it a go.

Im spending a lot of time using offshore navigator on the home pc now and having to change between charts all the time is a drag. I guess this problem goes away when you go to software that uses vector instead of raster charts? In planning routes I have to keep changing charts when my route goes off the chart I'm using. Its only a click or two to make the change but I would be nice if it was just one big chart that I could zoom in and out on. Rasters are like PDF's in a way huh? Sorry just getting started on laptop navigation...

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks Bob. I will probably be in touch. I think I have the Offshore Navigator Lite version you mention so soon as the laptop arrives Ill give it a go.

Im spending a lot of time using offshore navigator on the home pc now and having to change between charts all the time is a drag. I guess this problem goes away when you go to software that uses vector instead of raster charts? In planning routes I have to keep changing charts when my route goes off the chart I'm using. Its only a click or two to make the change but I would be nice if it was just one big chart that I could zoom in and out on. Rasters are like PDF's in a way huh? Sorry just getting started on laptop navigation...

FWIW, in my charting app (MacENC) the charts go instantly from one to the other as long as you have them d/l to your computer. Note that all areas have raster charts but not all have vector charts, so sometimes the chart format changes when it transitions. Of course I also can choose to stay in raster if I like and actually, being an old fashioned sort, am a little more comfortable with the raster stuff that "looks like a real chart."
:)
Loren

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Ted,

I'm not sure what the charts are like in the area that you are plotting your route, but it might work to scale out to a chart that encompasses a larger area.

Bob

CWM

Chuck
>> Yep. You MIGHT find -oh - six or seven individuals on the planet who've deluded themselves into believing Vi$ta's the bee's knees. I'm not one of 'em.
I'll run my XP machines into the dust, at which point I intend to jump ship.

My opinion: MS is due for a serious retooling, reorganizing and a brand new vision. There's a reason Apple's been kicking 'em in the shorts. Perhaps Fiat might be interested in adding MS to its Chrysler acquisition

CaptDan:
<meta http-equiv="Content-Type" content="text/html; charset=utf-8"><meta name="ProgId" content="Word.Document"><meta name="Generator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><meta name="Originator" content="Microsoft Word 11"><link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:%5CUsers%5CCWMiller%5CAppData%5CLocal%5CTemp%5Cmsohtml1%5C01%5Cclip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0in; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:8.5in 11.0in; margin:1.0in 1.25in 1.0in 1.25in; mso-header-margin:.5in; mso-footer-margin:.5in; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {page:Section1;} --> </style><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->

Au contraire.

Vista 32 has been excellent for about two years for me.
I have been using Windows 7 RC1 for over a month without any problems.
My MacBook runs OS X, and Vista via VMWare Fusion.
My Dell desktop runs XP (Home and Pro), Vista 32, Vista 64, and Windows 7.

No problems, except Vista on the MacBook is slow.

And, Apple has not been kicking 'em in the shorts, though hopefully OS X will continue to gain market share as it is an excellent op system.

steven

Sustaining Member
Marketshare stats are reportedly 64% XP, 23% Vista, 10% Mac, 1% Linux. Vista will soon be replaced soon by Win7, so it will never catch up. Whether or not you like Vista, looks like end of life.

--Steve

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Got the new laptop and was able to get the USB GPS working but have not yet installed the Maptech Offshore Navigator lite. I need to get some registration code form maptech and I think i crashed their site last night...

At first the USB GPS would not work but once i ran it as administrator it worked fine. I'm hopeful that I will be able to get the Maptech software to run and that I will learn Vista. It sure seems a lot different than XP which I was no Power User of either...

Bob Robertson

Member III
Hi Ted,

I called Maptech to get the code, but I was out of the country and needed to get the code for a couple of sets of charts as well as the code for the software.

Vista does take a bit of time to learn and can be a bit frustrating until you get it, but I like it and wouldn't go back.

Let me know how I can be of help,
Bob

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
Maptech folks have been very helpful. I think I have all the info I need now. I just need to figure out how to get out of work so I can go home and finish setting up the new laptop...