• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

64 Bit Vista and Navigation Software

white74

Grib

just found the grib data feature on new openCPN great for us who like to see what the wind patern is like

steven

Sustaining Member
Stu,

Thanks. Interesting and helpful link especially re GPS.

I am having fun fussing with OpenCP. Only issue so far is that it appears that bearings are true and there is no feature to convert bearings to magnetic. For me this is a big problem since I navigate in magnetic. Maybe it's there and I just can't find it. Anyone have experience with this?

--Steve

Stu Jackson

C34IA Secretary
One solution is to know the difference between your magnetic and true in your sailing area and do some quick math in your head. I'm still trying to find some earlier posts on other message boards. You could try googling OpenCP and do some reading about it.

Bob Robertson

Member III
GPS Magnetic/True

Hi Steve,
I know it's not an ideal solution, primarily because your compass at the helm is Magnetic, but you could possibily set your GPS to use True. I'm not sure if you have a GPS display at the helm, but if you did you might use it for heading and bearing and possibly get by not using the compass much at the helm. Your autopilot wouldn't care if you were using True or Magnetic.

Just an idea. I use Maptech and magnetic everywhere and I guess it would feel really strange to me to change to True.

Enjoy,
Bob

ragamuffin

Member II
IPAD for Navigation

This spring I will be using my Ipad 3g with this APP

http://www.inavx.com/

Use in Cabin or Mount it on the Bimini Rail no antenna needed plus you can use iPad's WiFi connection.

" iNavX™ can act as a repeater for popular marine navigation software that supports NMEA data over TCP/IP such as MacENC and Coastal Explorer. This includes GPS, AIS receivers & transponders, and Instruments (Depth, Speed, Wind, etc.)"

Pretty cool for a 50.00 dollar spp and no WINDOZE headaches.

only down side is how good 3g coverage will be in different locations.

Guy Stevens

OpenCPN is much better than SeaClear and free too

Having used both, the interface and chart cataloging of opencpn is a lot better than seaclear. Also OpenCpn is in active developement, which means it keeps getting new features and bug fixes.

Seaclear has not seen an update since 2002

http://opencpn.org/

Have fun...
Guy
:)

white74

Open CPN

the other nice thing about OpenCPN is that the charts are available for free from all sorts of places
I'm working on converting some other bathymeric charts into .kap format I've got Google earth and maps working now, next is getting some of the more propriety formats to convert over.