• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E38 shower

dwigle

Member III
Always being on the hunt for more storage, I was wondering if anybody knows what is under the shower seat on an early 38. I was thinking about putting a waterproof door to access the area. There are bolts under the sink and v-berth going into the area, but I doubt they go all the was through; so it looks like a decent size cavity. I really don't want to have to patch an exploratory hole if someone else has already had reason to go in there,

Thanks,
Don Wigle
Wiggle Room
Pt. Richmond, CA

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Have you tried going through under the V-berth? I know on my E38 that under the last storage area under the V-berth contains the forward water tank and that space you speak of would be accessible behind that.... I had to fish the D/S/T transducer wires through that area so I know its at least partially hollow. Cutting a hole on that side would answer your question without anyone knowing you did it. Just a thought....

RT

treilley

Sustaining Partner
I have often wondered the same thing about the shower seat in our 35. I too have fished cable through there but not been brave enough to cut. We never use it as a seat. More of a shelf to put soap and shampoo.

WBurgner

Member III
E38 Shower Seat

There is a Beckson inspection port under the shower seat on my E381. It was added by a previous owner and to tell the truth I can't recall what is in there. It may have been added to allow fishing transducer wiring and the A/C duct that leads to the head. I have not been in there in a long while.

I am going to the boat Thursday and will try to remember to get a picture, which as usual is worth K words.

WBurgner

Member III
SHower Seat Access Photos

Here are photos of the access to space beneath the shower seat on my E381. The port is an 8" Beckson. There is considerable slope to this part of the hull. At the top of the opening it it 13" to hull. At the bottom it is 8".

Attachments

• Shower Seat 1.jpg
    Shower Seat 1.jpg
    49.1 KB · Views: 69
  • Shower Seat 2.jpg
    Shower Seat 2.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 67
  • Shower Seat 3.jpg
    Shower Seat 3.jpg
    55.9 KB · Views: 73

Captron

Member III
Storage Space Quest

Like Totem, Kismet has an inspection port under the shower bench. There's not that much space there and I wouldn't store the tickets to the bowl there, but maybe a few shampoo bottles.

I found added storage space by cutting out a couple of hatches under the aft corners of the V-berth, one between the shower bulkhead and the water tank bulkhead on our port side and one just ahead of the hanging locker bulkhead to the starboard side. They're easier to get to than the ones forward of the water tank.

I also added a cabinet door under the galley counter just behind the drawers and another in the bridge deck bulkhead, aft of the sink but way over in the corner above the counter. Both have pretty good amounts of otherwise wasted space.

The other spot I've considered but haven't done yet would be under the nav desk ... like the shower seat situation, the hull curves considerably there but it might have some space as well as making wire routing easier.

Just be careful you don't release any trolls or gremlins in the process.
:egrin:

u079721

Contributing Partner
E38 storage space - galley bin

I too have looked for extra nooks and crannies in which to store junk.

One of the best finds on our 1989 E38-200 was the pivoting trash bin thingy in the galley, aft of the stove, on port. Not sure what that thing is supposed to be used for, but it's too darn small for trash. BUT, if you unscrew the metal tab that keeps this bin from pivoting out too far, and then unscrew the bin itself from the cabinet face plate, you free up a generous storage area between the stove wall and the bulkhead.

Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
E381 Storage

While on the subject of storage ideas, on the E381 there is a small area between the starboard chainplates accessable from the bookshelf behind the settee. There is a small wooden cover that, with care, can be lifted out to get access to the chainplate bolts. The Peterson's 'Quixotic' has been modified with a key lock to secure this cover. It is a modification I look to make myself on Totem. E38s may have the same feature.

I am not sure of other E38/E381s but there is a spice cabinet on Totem that looks like it was added by a previous owner. A door has been added where the galley cabinet was cut away along the sides of the drawers. It opens into the cabin, not the galley. I can take a picture if anyone is curious.

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
Here are three pictures of our key operated safe.

Attachments

• 05-24-09_1727.jpg
    05-24-09_1727.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 74
  • 05-24-09_1728.jpg
    05-24-09_1728.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 75
  • 05-24-09_1729.jpg
    05-24-09_1729.jpg
    44.3 KB · Views: 74

WBurgner

Member III
Safe Lid

Thanks Gary,
Anything done to the bottom of the lid opposite the locking mechanism to hold the lid in place? I see that there is a cutout in the molding for the locking lever. Can you offer any guidance on how to duplicate it? Anything you would do differently if you were to do it again?

Gary Peterson

Marine Guy
We modified the lid to mate with a piece of Aluminum angle strip.
Here are some more pictures. Please excuse the focus as I used my cell phone.

Attachments

• 05-26-09_1507.jpg
    05-26-09_1507.jpg
    52.9 KB · Views: 40
  • 05-26-09_1509.jpg
    05-26-09_1509.jpg
    66.3 KB · Views: 41
  • 05-26-09_1510.jpg
    05-26-09_1510.jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 65
Last edited:

WBurgner

Member III
Safe Lid

Thanks Gary. I will take a look and see how I can adapt that idea. It does not look like there is much material there to attach the angle stock to.