• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Fellow Ericson 32-2 owners?

kapnkd

kapnkd
Thank you for the offer! I am sure I will have quite a few questions. Working on replacing gas tank and wiring now.

For sure - Hope I can be of help at times.

...Replaced my original galvanized tank back in '79. Went with 1/8 aluminum and have not had a problem since. Sea water used to seep in around the rudder post (no packing in it from factory) so the salt did a number under the tank.

Came down to the boat one day to find several gallons of gasoline in the bilge!!!! THAT was a mess to say the least and another story in itself.

The aluminum tank has held up well over the years and was eventually converted for diesel when we re-powered with a diesel in '91.

Pulling the tank was easier than I thought BUT was a tight fit out and in through the starboard cockpit locker.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hi Blue Chip,

I would like to checkout your 32-200 sometime. I've never been on one and think that is the boat I would like to get when my (larger) slip waiting list number comes up. If you are willing I'd appreciate it. Or, anyone in the SF/Monterey Bay area with a 32-200?

Hello "Blue Chip" - You'll find the E-32 a very comfy boat. When I bought mine in '73, I was actually looking for a 27 but the dealer didn't have one in stock nor any in the area. He did have the 32 and when I saw it - It was an instant love affair. We grew into it as I got married and started a family. She's been an excellent cruiser and competitive racer as my son got into racing years later.

She's been a comfortable and capable boat all through the Bahamas, Florida East & West coasts plus the Dry Tortugas. Now in Lake Erie where we got into being a racer, she made us proud over the years. We even took a 1st overall in the Trans Erie Race and set a record for her class that stood for 10 years! ...GREAT boat and even today still gets compliments on her lines. (Photo of racing flags she's won included.)
Racing Flags - E32.jpg

IF you can, DO check his boat out - you will be pleasantly surprised!

Last edited:

rainsv1

My Ericson 32-2, 1972, #250; in S.F. Bay, Ca. I would love to link with fellow Ericson owners in this area. Thanks nmvrdgig@comcast.net :egrin:
Kapnkd: Yes I am going with Moeller tank as this was what a marina neighbor has in his Islander for many years. So I went with it. That said, I have my hands full with previous modifications to wiring and its a mess. I have had the A4 running before i bought it but it is not so pretty either. I hope to get this all in line by June July. All fun though as it's a two brother job and we enjoy hanging out. I will post some pictures later. V

Steve A

Member II
E-32 in Stockton

If anyone is still out there in the bay area. I am rehabilitating this boat in Oakland Marinas. Let me know if anyone is active out there. :rolleyes:
I have #243 homeport San Rafael currently in Stockton. She's the one with the stained glass ports and mermaid figurehead. Heading back to San Rafael in July for a last haulout before going South. If you do the Latitude38 Delta Doodah this summer stop by Little Venice YC.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Kapnkd: Yes I am going with Moeller tank as this was what a marina neighbor has in his Islander for many years. So I went with it. That said, I have my hands full with previous modifications to wiring and its a mess. I have had the A4 running before i bought it but it is not so pretty either. I hope to get this all in line by June July. All fun though as it's a two brother job and we enjoy hanging out. I will post some pictures later. V

Good choice for your tank replacement, ours was a custom built by a local builder.

...Electrical has always been a challenge as you add or change accessories over the years. Sooner or later, you look at it and it looks like a birds nest if not careful!

Our 32-II factory wiring harness ran under the mast crossing over from starboard to port. Our boat (#296) had a flaw in the mast support to the keel and the main brace cracked shorting out the port cabin lights the first year we had the boat. I located the wiring in the aft port bulkhead locker and ran wires through the engine compartment directly back to the original stbd side electrical panel. Problem solved by back feeding the electric to the port side.

We've now replaced the original electrical panel in the galley area and relocated a new Blue Seas panel in the small (port) aft quarter berth locker. The panel extends to the underside deck and the old railing was moved lower to make a storage area for winch handles sticking with the same footprint as the old locker.

We're also now going with all led lighting wherever we can to keep battery usage to a minimum. (We also modified the battery box under the aft 1/4 berth to accommodate 3 batteries.

:cheers:Like you with your brother, my son and I have had many hours of enjoyable time together working on our boat.

Here's what our new electrical looks like. Note the drop down feature for easy access to the wiring. The panel includes storage for cell phones/wallets, AC & DC plus 120V outlets along with 12V outlets and USB.

Looking Aft with new side liner in place.JPGNew E32 Electric Panel1.jpgNew E32 Electric Panel2.jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I like that teak-and-holly stuff you've got against the hull to the left of the panel. What is that - fabric? It looks really nice, I initially thought perhaps it was Plasteak or something solid, but it appears a bit wrinkled along the bench where the cushion would go.

My '69 has something resembling off-white naugahyde or vinyl there, and it is stained and goobly.

kapnkd

kapnkd
I like that teak-and-holly stuff you've got against the hull to the left of the panel. What is that - fabric? It looks really nice, I initially thought perhaps it was Plasteak or something solid, but it appears a bit wrinkled along the bench where the cushion would go.

My '69 has something resembling off-white naugahyde or vinyl there, and it is stained and goobly.

Our boat also had the white foam backed Naugahyde which finally after many years started separating from the foam in areas leaving wrinkles and it also became stained over the years. I actually had vinyl paint sprayed it but was never 100% happy with it.

Cary found this product on the web which is intended as a flooring for pontoon boats. At the time we were able to by factory seconds on eBay for a better price that you couldn't even see the flaw in the weave. It's a very strong weave with a 1/4 inch durable foam backing (not like the soft foam before).

We also installed it in the V-Berth, Hanging Locker and even back wall of the head. (Photos below - The head's flooring is a different material called PlasDeck)

...Not sure this is the same site, but is the same product. You can look closely at the weave when you run the mouse over their photos. https://www.ebay.com/itm/Marine-Vinyl-Boat-Pontoon-Flooring-w-Padding-Teak-02-Tan-8-5-wide/192424634084?_trkparms=aid%3D222007%26algo%3DSIM.MBE%26ao%3D2%26asc%3D44040%26meid%3D17d262fd63ab40e8ba9bf4d269ff1904%26pid%3D100005%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D6%26sd%3D192346374839%26itm%3D192424634084&_trksid=p2047675.c100005.m1851

Hanging Locker Wall Trim.jpgHead Vinyl Siding.jpgV-Berth.jpg

rainsv1

Good choice for your tank replacement, ours was a custom built by a local builder.

...Electrical has always been a challenge as you add or change accessories over the years. Sooner or later, you look at it and it looks like a birds nest if not careful!

Our 32-II factory wiring harness ran under the mast crossing over from starboard to port. Our boat (#296) had a flaw in the mast support to the keel and the main brace cracked shorting out the port cabin lights the first year we had the boat. I located the wiring in the aft port bulkhead locker and ran wires through the engine compartment directly back to the original stbd side electrical panel. Problem solved by back feeding the electric to the port side.

We've now replaced the original electrical panel in the galley area and relocated a new Blue Seas panel in the small (port) aft quarter berth locker. The panel extends to the underside deck and the old railing was moved lower to make a storage area for winch handles sticking with the same footprint as the old locker.

We're also now going with all led lighting wherever we can to keep battery usage to a minimum. (We also modified the battery box under the aft 1/4 berth to accommodate 3 batteries.

:cheers:Like you with your brother, my son and I have had many hours of enjoyable time together working on our boat.

Here's what our new electrical looks like. Note the drop down feature for easy access to the wiring. The panel includes storage for cell phones/wallets, AC & DC plus 120V outlets along with 12V outlets and USB.

View attachment 23893View attachment 23894View attachment 23895
You have a beautiful Boat! I will be in Oakland this coming weekend and will take some more pictures!

kapnkd

kapnkd
You have a beautiful Boat! I will be in Oakland this coming weekend and will take some more pictures!

Thanks and GREAT! ...Looking forward to seeing your photos. ...Here's a couple more taken last fall before haul out. We added the double life lines and newer style bow pulpit. In the cockpit instead of painting the non-skid, we went with "Eva-Teak" product. It's very comfortable to sit on having a slight soft foam feel to it. It's supposed to last for at least 5 to 7 years (???) We'll see!

CaryOn Double Lifelines.jpgCaryOn Teak Cockpit.jpg

kapnkd

kapnkd
My Ericson 32-2, 1972, #250; in S.F. Bay, Ca. I would love to link with fellow Ericson owners in this area. Thanks nmvrdgig@comcast.net :egrin:

Given the multiple and recent encouraging replies from other E-32 owners (Mk II & Mk III) you received, I would think we should ALL link up however, as best we can, to share info on problems,repairs, solutions and accomplishments that have worked for us over the years. ESPECIALLY WITH PHOTO DOCUMENTATIONS.

Not sure how it all works being a NON I-tech sort of person, but the "friending" thingy seems to be a start???

Let us share (photos, projects & more) to learn going forward!!!!!

After all, it IS a hard boat to beat - even on the race course yet!!! :)

Fair Winds as a new sailing season approaches!!
-kerry ...the OLDER of us as a member (kapnkd)

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
By "friending" I hope you don't mean Facebook.

This site is the gene pool of Ericsons. It doesn't help to dilute it.

kapnkd

kapnkd
By "friending" I hope you don't mean Facebook.

This site is the gene pool of Ericsons. It doesn't help to dilute it.

How TRUE!! ...Never have been - NEVER WILL be a member of "FarceBook"!!!

Not sure how this whole thing works but just friended a couple E32 owners with the hopes of unique contacts with them in the future on projects others might no be as interested in.

tenders

Innocent Bystander
The “friending” he’s referring to is the friend feature of this message board, not of Facebook.

Hello, friend. I’m happy to be any Ericson owner’s friend, but I don’t think there are many benefits with this kind of friendship.

kapnkd

kapnkd
The “friending” he’s referring to is the friend feature of this message board, not of Facebook.

Hello, friend. I’m happy to be any Ericson owner’s friend, but I don’t think there are many benefits with this kind of friendship.

Correct! ...I don't do farcebook. What I just have done with a few of you is used the included option on this Ericson site. ...THAT I trust! ;-)

I think (hope) it's just a means for us to communicate between each other on issues relevant to our similar vessels (??) ...Still new at some of this myself.

Last edited:

bozturk

Member I
Hello From Port Washington, NY

Hello Folks,

This will be my 3rd season with Khuma, an 1972 E32. She is my first boat, i inherited her from a friend of mine when he had to move to CA on short notice.

I love my boat and love sailing but i am little overwhelmed by amount of work i have to do, and sick and tired of getting ripped off by the whole marine industry. I am a pretty handy guy but i lack experince on boats. So i would appreciate any advice on repair and maintenance.

She is seaworthy but needs some love and care. First big project i is rewiring the whole boat. Right now it is a big mess, bunch of splices, electrical tape, twist connectors, coroded wires. Does anybody have the original wiring diagram? Any tips on routing the cables? Anything else that i should consider?

Thank you very much and nice meeting you all.

Last edited:

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello Folks,

This will be my 3rd season with Khuma, an 1972 E32. She is my first boat, i inherited her from a friend of mine when he had to move to CA on short notice.

I love my boat and love sailing but i am little overwhelmed by amount of work i have to do, and sick and tired of getting ripped off by the whole marine industry. I am a pretty handy guy but i lack experince on boats. So i would appreciate any advice on repair and maintenance.

She is seaworthy but needs some love and care. First big project i is rewiring the whole boat. Right now it is a big mess, bunch of splices, electrical tape, twist connectors, coroded wires. Does anybody have the original wiring diagram? Any tips on routing the cables? Anything else that i should consider?

Good Morning,

Ours is a '73 E32-2 and I DO have an owners manual I obtained some years after buying the boat with lots of goodies/info in it.

As a starter for you, here's 3 pages of electrical layout drawings. We've been completely rewiring our boat and I'll post a couple of photos of what we're doing later for your reference as well. Got some running to do at the moment....

-kerry

Electric 1.jpgElectric 2.jpgElectric 3.jpg

tenders

Innocent Bystander
Hello friend.

My ‘69 32 is on City Island, still in the cradle through this weekend, if you’d like to come by and have a look around and chat. I’ve owned her since 1991 (not nearly as long as Kerry has owned his!) and have done substantial structural work, most documented here. The 49-year-old boat is no showpiece but it is structurally solid, sails as well as it did when she was new, and every single thing works. I have a natural aversion to complexity and the associated maintenance so I do not have a speed wheel throughhull, masthead electrical wind speed indicator, radar, chartplotter, air conditioning, watermaker, anchor windlass, or generator. I do have DC refrigeration, pressure water, a large inverter, a large alternator on the Atomic Four, and a 110V water heater that gets lovingly winterized every fall that but hasn’t been used in years.

On the electrical side, you can see from Kerry’s diagram that the factory configuration ran wires directly under the mast step. This was a poor design decision and over time it led to the disconnection of my port side cabin lights. I found it necessary and preferable to run parallel cabin light wiring up the port side via the engine compartment. This rare poor design has really been my only gripe with the electrical systems on the boat. What exists now is not the picture-perfect meticulous looming that newer boats have, but it is compulsively labeled and, I think, understandable to anyone motivated enough to figure out what is going on.

After running that extra cabin light wire, and some other stuff for the bilge pump and float switch and a stern-mounted VHF antenna, the channel running from the engine room up to the port side cupboard where the VHF and bilge pump switch are located was stuffed full of wires. In recent weeks while adding an AIS receiver and associated doodads I discovered how useful it is to run wires in the overhead, from the starboard side cupboard, forward and around the sliding hatch channel, and back to the port side cupboard. That path now carries wiring to power any port side instruments, a coax VHF cable split from the main (port) VHF for the starboard AIS receiver, another coax cable split from the port VHF for the starboard FM radio, and an NMEA data cable delivering GPS to the port VHF. Getting access to this cable path required removing the frame trim under the main salon hatch, which I had replaced a year ago without reinstalling the trim.

Just some ideas as you’re rewiring. Here’s my suggestion though: what is causing you to spend the time rewiring the whole boat instead of just replacing wires you find objectionable?

Last edited:

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello friend.

My ‘69 32 is on City Island, still in the cradle through this weekend, if you’d like to come by and have a look around and chat. I’ve owned her since 1991 (not nearly as long as Kerry has owned his!) and have done substantial structural work, most documented here. The 49-year-old boat is no showpiece but it is structurally solid, sails as well as it did when she was new, and every single thing works. I have a natural aversion to complexity and the associated maintenance so I do not have a speed wheel throughhull, masthead electrical wind speed indicator, radar, chartplotter, air conditioning, watermaker, anchor windlass, or generator. I do have DC refrigeration, pressure water, a large inverter, a large alternator on the Atomic Four, and a 110V water heater that gets lovingly winterized every fall that but hasn’t been used in years.

On the electrical side, you can see from Kerry’s diagram that the factory configuration ran wires directly under the mast step. This was a poor design decision and over time it led to the disconnection of my port side cabin lights. I found it necessary and preferable to run parallel cabin light wiring up the port side via the engine compartment. This rare poor design has really been my only gripe with the electrical systems on the boat. What exists now is not the picture-perfect meticulous looming that newer boats have, but it is compulsively labeled and, I think, understandable to anyone motivated enough to figure out what is going on.

After running that extra cabin light wire, and some other stuff for the bilge pump and float switch and a stern-mounted VHF antenna, the channel running from the engine room up to the port side cupboard where the VHF and bilge pump switch are located was stuffed full of wires. In recent weeks while adding an AIS receiver and associated doodads I discovered how useful it is to run wires in the overhead, from the starboard side cupboard, forward and around the sliding hatch channel, and back to the port side cupboard. That path now carries wiring to power any port side instruments, a coax VHF cable split from the main (port) VHF for the starboard AIS receiver, another coax cable split from the port VHF for the starboard FM radio, and an NMEA data cable delivering GPS to the port VHF. Getting access to this cable path required removing the frame trim under the main salon hatch, which I had replaced a year ago without reinstalling the trim.

Just some ideas as you’re rewiring. Here’s my suggestion though: what is causing you to spend the time rewiring the whole boat instead of just replacing wires you find objectionable?

Ditto with our encapsulated loom that passed under the mast. Seems there was a problem with 32's coming out of the factory in the early 70's with the interior mast support column resting on the cabin sole instead of down to the keel. This caused the main brace under the mast load to crack when loaded and sheer the wiring.

I too reconnected to the port side cabin lights via the companionway bulkhead light and everything backfed electrically to work fine again.

kapnkd

kapnkd
Hello Folks,

We've upgraded the old 6 x 9 basic electrical panel to a Blue Seas with circuit breakers and the AC & DC combined. Problem now was the size of the new panel, so we opted to turn the small storage locker by the port rear qtr berth into the electrical panel and move the original open storage area at the top down to the bottom.

I've also included 12V, usb, 110v outlets and closed storage for car keys/wallets not to mention VHF & AM/FM into the design along with two battery switches to accommodate a third battery. It's hinged to drop down for easy access to the wiring as things (inevitably) get added/upgraded down the road.

Welcome to the world of sailing an Ericson - glad you're aboard! Please feel free to contact me (or any of us I'm sure) with any questions you may have.

regards,
kerry

Locker.jpgCaryOn New Electric Panel.jpgCaryOn New Side Wall Trim 1.jpgOpen Panel.jpg