• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E-34 Harken roller furling foil

FWQuinn

Well it finally happened this weekend. As I lowered my jib it hung-up a few feet from the top and I noticed the twin groove aluminum foil had seperated and would not allow the jib to lower. This foil has been beat up over the years and it's now time to replace it. Got a couple questions for the forum.
1. Since I don't race, I see there is a Harken single groove foil for crusers. Anyone have experience with this? Any problems using it with original Harken roller gear? Assume this would also be cheaper than Harkens dual groove racing foil, plus it's round so should furl easier..
2. What is the forestay length on tall rig E-34?
Any other input from folks who have doe this would be appreciated.
Thanks,
Frank Quinn
Ericson 34 "Sierra Star"

Glyn Judson

Replacement Harken foil section.

Frank and all, A number of years ago I needed a foil connector for a circa 1980's-90's Harken furler. It turned out that my foil design had been superseded by a more modern design and that the connector I needed was no longer available. The thoughtful Harken tech took my number and called back within a few minutes. He'd gotten a used one that a fellow employee had in his desk and sent what he allowed was probably the very last old style connector left off to me at no charge. If you have that era furler, try calling Harken at 262.691.3320 to see if you can track down a foil section. That should be a bit easier to locate than my connector. Good luck, Glyn Judson, E31 hull #55, Marina del Rey, CA

Rob Hessenius

Inactive Member
Furler

I have just replaced the complete foil on my Harken furler. I live very close to Harken in Pewaukee and was able to drive down to the headquarters to pick up the needed parts. To replace the old foil you will need many more parts. To be honest and you might think Im crazy, it just might not be that much of a difference in price to buy a new furler! By changing from a double feed to a single will be a BIG price shock!!! I will list the parts that you will need.
1-Starter Foil
6-foil sections
1-replacement screws (packet)
5-foil connecters
1-starter foil connecter
1-top cap
1-sail feeder

You should also replace the old forestay and there is a chance that you will need a new swage fitting for inside the furler.

My advice to you is to be sitting in a chair when you give them a call and they tell you the price!

FWQuinn

Thanks for replys

I've been on the Harken site trying to educate myself and I think I'm looking at a broken connector. I called Hanson rigging today and they said to fix a broken connector in shop would be around $400-$500. That of course does not include any extra work getting the furler down.

Appreciate the prompt responses.