• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Crew Needed

Status
Not open for further replies.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
In case any Vikings want to go along on my delivery trip north, I now have a couple of crew openings.
i.e. as of this morning I no longer have any crew.
My friends that had signed on in February have all had to beg off for family emergencies.:p

I would like to be exiting out of Astoria the morning of June 6 (ebb slack is about 0730), and ideally it would be nice to have someone along all the way to Port Angeles or even Pt Townsend. Crew could be dropped off at Neah Bay if their free time is short, but it's a long drive out to Neah Bay and back for the pick up driver. (Been there, done that.)

Anyone interested contact me pronto. Click on my name here for an email dialog box.
Boat prep is coming along well, and our life raft, an Avon Coastal (valise) is just back from the packer this week, recertified.

Thanks,

Loren

ps: Yeah, Kathy could ask for some more vacation, but she is already committed to using three weeks after meeting me in Pt Townsend, cruising around, and coming back down the coast with me.

pps: and No I am not planning to single-hand. I will just wait a week or two; as for sailing in triumphantly to the Rendezvous, I have my fair share of false pride, but I am a rather conservative boater... while "I am not as young as I used to be, I am also not as old as I am gonna get!" (Borrowed from an old Hagar the Horrible cartoon)

Last edited:

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
I would love to make the trip, Loren - but I'll be in the middle of final review at school.... :esad:

//sse

Mike Loft

Member I
Loren: We should talk about whether I may be able to help you part of the way. Assuming you're able to depart June 6 and nothing unusual, what's your best estimate on where might be 3 days later? Mike

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Thanks, Mike.
Delivery trivia: for most displacement hulls that can maintain about 5 kts forward in "average" sea conditions in the summer... From Astoria to Neah Bay is about 28 to 30 hours. After a night to catch up on sleep there it's a day run down the Straits to Port Angeles -- if the afternoon west wind is at full snort that trip is fun. One more easy day gets you to Pt Townsend.

That presumes that we do not make a stop at Grays Harbor to fill up with diesel. Might have to transfer some diesel at sea from jerry cans. (we have a 19 gallon tank.)

So, heading out the mouth of the Columbia, once we make our westing, out beyond the north jetty, and turn north, it's just a matter of putting the pedal down and grinding out miles. Prevailing summer wind and current are from the north, at varying amounts -- sometimes it's flat, but much of the time you just gotta slug into it. Afternoon and evenings are windiest, and right on the nose. Midnight often sees it reduce or sometimes die down. Wind waves on the nose can combine creatively with a longer west swell -- this can induce green complexions in those prone to mal de mer. :p

It's gorgeous out there on a sunny day, although cloudy nights can be a little spooky. This trip should see a full moon -- depending on cloud cover...

There are double and sometimes triple-toggle crab pot floats to dodge, anywhere out to 30 fathoms and sometimes way beyond. You dodge 'em in the daylight and depend on luck/prayer during the night watch.

Hope this helps. Gist of it is that, absent any trip-altering "complications," we get one night at sea. Two days gets you to the first possible crew-transfer point at Neah Bay and additional day(s) down the Straits to bigger towns and main hiways.

Best,
Loren

Last edited:

Mike Loft

Member I
Loren: I sent you a couple messages that may not have gotten through to you. I can be reached at (509) 624-5265. Mike

CaptDan

Member III
In case any Vikings want to go along on my delivery trip north, I now have a couple of crew openings.

Little consolation, but I just want to go on record as saying that, if I could get away then, I'd be proud to serve aboard your delivery, Loren. It would be quite a lot of fun, and a good hard slog to brag about over future brews.:egrin:

I hope you're covered for the journey, and have a safe one.

Capt Dan G>E35II "Kunu"

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Slip opening up

Summing up "Crew Quest 2009", I did finally get three local sailing buddies lined up for the 6 day trip up but found no one available to help watch-stand for the trip back.

Plan B: We shall keep the boat in the river with a day trip up to Grays Harbor later on, for this season.

We shall attend the rendezvous by car, along with some other Portland Ericson owners.

See you all at Port Townsend.

Loren

Status
Not open for further replies.