• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

A new low

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Trying the put the binacle and steering system back together today I found that the only way to get in there and tighten the nuts was on my back. I actually managed to get into the starboard sail locker on my 35 and lay on my back under the sole. Of course once I got in there I was not sure I was getting out but I figured that was a problem to deal with after I finished my work in there. Luckily I was able to get out easier than I got in.

BTW, I am 6' tall and 205lbs and not very flexible. I am quite sore though!

Akavishon

Member III
Ah, yes, been there, needed help getting out ... it's most annoying to spend 10 minutes twisting and bending into position, only to find out you forgot a tool back in the cabin :cool:

Have you tried rebedding the stern starboard cleat? The only way to get there (on my E32-3, anyway) is to squeeze into the stern lazarette, then wrap yourself around the propane locker. Make an appointment with the chiropractor before diving in :egrin:

I find that yoga complements boat maintenance very well.

Zoran

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
See some of my posts from crawling through my E38, they are no better. The absolute worst part, besides not having the tool you need once in position, is the little fiberglass needles left behind from the layup sticking out in the most inopportune places. Those little suckers are nasty! RT

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
See some of my posts from crawling through my E38, they are no better. The absolute worst part, besides not having the tool you need once in position, is the little fiberglass needles left behind from the layup sticking out in the most inopportune places. Those little suckers are nasty! RT

Ohhhhh so true! Since we bought this boat in '94 I have been methodically sanding down and grinding off those little sharp ends all around the boat's inner sanctums. Every time I have to delve into a part not explored since assembly I clean up the rough places as best I can so that any return trip will be a lot less hazardous.
:rolleyes:

After this many years there are indeed several areas of repeated visits, and I always take some pieces of 80 grit or a small Surform tool along when "going in."

The other thing to watch is anywhere you have to reach in to work or to support yourself while moving around. There can be hidden pointy "skin rippers" that you find unexpectedly.
DIY is sure fun! :eek:

dpddj

Member I
Always somethinig

Ah, yes, the joys of springtime. On my E28, I decided to plumb the fwd water tank into a feed for the head flush. The tank was kind of skanky anyhow and I don't do long cruises and besides, seawater in the bowl stinks. At 59 I do not stand on my head so well but I got the new 3/4" hose snacked in. I had to drill a 4" access hole in the head base in order to reach the hose, so I might as well put a louver in there for ventilation. Anyhow, as I am on my side in the cramped floor space, with an arm shoved into the new hole as far as I could reach, my arm got stuck. I was sure I was spending the night there since the cell phone was too far to reach to call anyone. With a strong yank, I shaved a few layers of skin off my arm and brought along a few of those previously mentioned fiberglass shards. BUT - it is in to go along with the complete Raritan overhaul. No more leaky flushes!:egrin: