• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Opinions on sailing in FL?

omgirl

Member II
Hello all,

My husband and I are considering moving to Florida from New Hampshire with one of the primary reasons of being able to sail throughout the year. We are able to be relatively flexible (need to be near a larger city and major airport) but are exploring different regions in Florida.

Does anyone have opinions on the sailing area and community for the Tampa Bay/St. Petersburg area as well as the Jacksonville area? Or any other areas in FL? We would love some opinions and insights. We are looking for a great sailing area as well as a nice mix of people (i.e. not too many rednecks:mad: ... and I can use that term as I am originally from GA and have some in my family!).

Thanks for any advice!

TwistedLogic

Member II
I can recommend the Tampa/St Pete area and points south.
Tampa's Davis Island Sailing club is a wonderful setting at the south tip of Davis Island directly south of downtown Tampa. I have attended several regattas there. It is not a country club, it is for sailing.
St Pete has a wonderful sailing fleet, lots of activities and Tampa Bay is tough to beat for sailing conditions.
Both St Pete and Davis Island are very close to Tampa international Airport (TIA).
Farther south, you have the Sarasota Sailing Squadron, minutes from the Gulf, or you can travel down to the Venice/Nokomis area. Not a big sailing fleet there, but it is paradise! Still only 1hr and 15 minutes to the Tampa airport or the Ft Myers regional airport.
I have been sailing these waters since 1971, and I can't get enough.
Promise you won't tell your friends. :rolleyes:

Captron

Member III
Florida Fan

My wife and I moved here about 1970 from up nawth for the same reason. We wanted more sailing less snow shoveling.

We've lived in Tallahassee, Largo (St Pete), Cocoa Beach, Lakeland and a few other spots. All have great sailing of one kind or another you just need to be flexible about what kind of sailing you want.

What I mean is that the central west coast (Tampa-St Pete) is great sailing from one design dinghies to ocean racers and every kind of cruiser you can imagine. While areas like Lakeland are more suited to lake sailing or day sailing in small one designs. We used to race Windmill class sloops in Lakeland.

If you like racing, the main racing seasons here are fall (Sept - Dec) and spring (Jan-May). Davis Island YC, Tampa YC, St Pete YC, Clearwater YC, Bradenton YC, Sarasota Sailing Squadron, Tampa Sailing Squadron, Venice YC, Etc. Etc ... many great clubs, host events of all kinds. We're leaving on Tuesday for the Clearwater-Key West race aboard a friend's boat. We'll be back in a week or so. Some clubs are fancy with expensive dues and tennis courts while others are more laid back and focused on sailing, You just have to choose.

Cruising here is fabulous if that's your interest. The Gulf Coast has an ICW that runs from Tarpon Springs to Naples with inlets at least every 10 miles or so. That means that if you cruise coastally you're never far from protected water. The water near shore tends to be shallow however and a few inlets can't be negotiated in boats drawing more than say 3 feet. Marke inlets can generally handle almost any draft although the ICW itself can be a challenge for anything over 6 feet. BUT the gunk holing possibilities are endless especially for shallow draft vessels.

On the East coast the ICW runs the entire length of Florida. Inlets there tend to be bigger and deeper but also somewhat farther apart. Some areas of the ICW can be shallow but you wouldn't believe the cruiser migrations that happen twice a year as all kinds of cruising boats travel from the Chesapeake and points north to the Bahamas and Caribbean.

Every waterfront town along the east coast has a yacht club or sailing club of some description. The shallow lagoon system behind Cocoa Beach for example, has a very active multihull group. Farther south, in Miami or Ft Lauderdale the yacht clubs tend to the elegant but many host regattas for all types of sailboats. Plus the Keys and Bahamas are a day's sail away.

In addition, most of the larger towns have community sailing centers. I worked at the one in Clearwater where we rented small sailboats, taught sailing, hosted major regattas (like the Laser Midwinters), organized charter trips to the Caribbean, ran summer camps for kids, etc.

If you want sailing in Florida you can find it. We live in the center of the state and right now but we have our boat at New Port Richey, just north of Tarpon Springs, an hour and a half away. That's only because we're now retired and the living is cheaper over here but we still want to cruise our E38. BUT no matter where you live you're not far from great sailing.

In this day and age, I'd go where the job is, then study the local sailing scene and see what appeals to you. You won't have to go far to find what you want.

As far as finding what you want, get a copy of Southwinds magazine (free at Florida West Marine stores and other places) or their website http://www.southwindssailing.com/ and subscribe. It has the contact info for 98% of the sailing/yacht clubs in Florida and some mediocre articles written mainly by stiffs like me.

:egrin: TAN ON!

Captron

Member III
Jacksonville

I forgot Jacksonville ... lots of great sailing there too. I did my US Sailing Instructor Classes there at the Jacksonville Rudder Club ... very sailing oriented with great kids programs and every kind of boat from prams to exotic carbon multihulls. The area is also on the ICW and there are many marinas and clubs within a short drive. We have several friends that often leave and return to Jacksonville on their Bahamas/Caribbean cruises. Great gunkholing along the St John's River also.

Once upon a time (pre real estate boom) my wife and I lived in a house on the water. It was on a shallow creek just off the Gulf Coast ICW in Largo, Fl. We adapted to the shallow water by sailing a Stiletto 27 catamaran for racing and later with an Edel 35 catamaran that we cruised. No matter what area you choose, real estate on the water is again a very achievable dream. It's hard to beat stepping off your boat and into the pool.

It would be hard to choose between Jacksonville and Tampa-St Pete but I guess I would prefer the Gulf Coast, especially for the cruising ground.

If you have specific questions, maybe I can help. Email me at rcbutler@hotmail.com

:egrin:

fredn56

Member II
One aspect to sailing in Florida

The wildlife encountered while sailing in Florida is magnificent, but not limited to manatees, dolphins, and ospreys.
We are currently engaged in the war of the palmetto bugs. My wife wouldn't go into the cabin because she claimed she saw one as big as a cat in there.
Actually, it was only as big as a small rat, or a large mouse.
Anyway, we are trying a fogger in the cabin; removed all the food, dishes, blankets and such. I hope we don't have to use any enhanced techniques.

Fred Nelson
Ericson 23 #344
Ad Astra

Sean Engle

Your Friendly Administrator
Administrator
Founder
Hello all,

...FL?

Thanks for any advice!

I recommend the Pacific Northwest...we have year around sailing, and half the year you get your boat washed for free!

Of course, I'm am little biased....:egrin:

//sse

Spalding

Island hoping

south east FL is the gateway Fort Lauderdale to the keys depending on your tolerance for crowding and mixed cultual settings, yes and the cost of housing (down some lately):)

Steve

Member III
FL Live Aboards

What's the area like for temporary or full time live aboards in Florida?

Steve

makai

Sailing Florida

Different types of sailing

East coast---tides, deep water, better winds
Keys--clear water, little tide, watch out drawing over 5 feet
West Coast---skinny water, more bays and islands, wind fickle and hot

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
From Jupiter down to Miami - what is a good marina / harbor to keep a 36' at?

I draw 6.5' - I'm looking for a floating dock marina - need my power and water - do not want just a can.

Thanks!

Spalding

Live aboards is ok, large communities of such, i think there are new rules about pumpouts instead of dumpouts in some cities.

Look on line for the "waterfront new" and it may give you snapshot

Mort Fligelman

Member III
Mc Peak Beware

Hi:

You are touching on all of the bases that are plagueing me......

My E35-3 Draws 6'2''.......My boat is in Pompano/Lauderdale by the Sea.....

5' is considered really DEEP water......The Intercoastal on the weekends, or on ideal boating day is a ZOO.....the bridges on the intercoastal will open on the Hour, half Hour.......the next bridge on the 1/4 Hour and 3/4 hour....

The inlets......FORGET BOCA RATON.....Hillsboro coming in on the outgoing tide is a pure bitch.....watching the shore you know you are not moving....the engine is in gear.....running about 900 RPM.....your speedo is showing 4 kts......your GPS -0-.....

The situation with the anchoring rights is really getting super political.....check it out....

OK.....the thought now must be "why is he there?".....I was warned, but did not believe....I am seriously considering shipping back to Northpoint in Winthrop Harbor.....

Been sailing on Lake Michigan since 1953......trust me...there is nothing like it...

OH...BTW.....the amount of sailing you get in on the east coast from November through March is minimal.....very minimal.....I have not spent any summers there but the word is very light air......

Three years experience......FWIW

Captron

Member III
Liveaboard

Steve

There are a few marinas on the west coast that still allow full time live-aboards but costs are high. One friend was paying about $800 a month to live aboard his 38 foot Morgan in the Pasadena area of St Pete.

Anchoring out and living aboard as permanent way of life is becoming more difficult although there are always places that can work. Anchoring out for a few days or weeks is not that much of an issue in most places.

Get a subscription to SouthWinds magazine. There's a running commentary on this very issue. There is always a lot of change going on so it's difficult to say what the current situation is in any given area but SouthWinds does a good job of staying on top of it.

A few years ago the problem for waterfront communities was cleaning up the eyesore abandoned boats that washed up after hurricanes. Now it's boat owners that can't afford to keep their boats because of the economic situation. Apparently many owners are just taking the boat they can't sell or maintain out in the bays and abandoning them.

As a reaction to the abandoned boat problem, many communities especially on the lower east coast and Naples on the west coast, passed anti-anchoring laws. Then the state stepped into the mess and passed laws that allowed boaters to anchor anywhere but also gave the cities and towns more latitude in removing 'derelict' boats. I don't know where things stand lately though so scan through a few back issues of SouthWinds.

:egrin:

WBurgner

Member III
Florida Sailing/Liveaboards

From my experience over the past six years here I would say CaptRon has given a well balanced view.

At present I am at the Twin Dolphin Marina in Bradenton, Fl (west coast near Tampa Bay) where live aboards are welcomed, even encouraged. Ron is right, it can be expensive. $800 for a 38' would be about right for full time live aboard. It is a well kept and well run marina with nice amenities. Rates have just dropped in response to economic downturn induced high vacancy rate.

Besides the clubs Ron mentioned, SSCA has an active group in St Pete. There are also cruising clubs without facilites that are active in organizing group events. I belong to the Dolphin Cruising Club of Tampa Bay.

www.dolphincruising.com
www.twindolphinmarina.com

jmcpeak

Junior Viking
I'd like to personally thank Mort for the phone call and just a ton of information about the Atlantic side of FL. Thanks Mort.

gwas02

liveaboard in south fl

Steve
i am a 5 year liveaboard in dania fl (ft lauderdale) all i can say is get to it before it is all taken away.the livaboard marinas are being turned into hotels-condos-and places for the rich and famouse with their gargantuan white plastic floating palaces! they also put in some sort of time limit for anchoring in the miami area-also be darn sure everything is legal and cross all your ts and dot your i:s because some officers around here like to harrass people who are minding their own buisness...the sailing is great and i wouldnt move for money!!