• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Paint to touch up Yacht Specialties pedestal ?

Sven

Seglare
I'd like to touch up the paint on the pedestal but I don't know what paints might be compatible with the original (?) coating. It doesn't need a complete redo, just touch up here and there. I'd rather brush than mess with spray cans and possible overspray.

Thanks,

-Sven

treilley

Sustaining Partner
A 2 part LPU would work well but I recommend stripping and repainting. It is probably chipping because of corrosion. I am currently refinishing mine. I stripped it to bare metal, had it media blasted and powder coated.

Attachments

• binacle.jpg
    binacle.jpg
    45.6 KB · Views: 369

lbertran

Member III
Plan B

Tim's method is clearly the best approach. But when I painted mine a couple of years ago, I just used bright white rustoleum. It was cheap and easy, looks a hundred times better than it did before, and seems to be holding up well. But again, Tim's way is surely the best looking and most long lasting.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Another vote for plan B. I have a small can of "Easypoxy" white and have used it to recoat the aluminum plate that supports the guard and also for some dings on the base. The white is not an exact match (but then "white" almost never is...) but it looks way better than corrosion.
http://www.pettitpaint.com/catalog_browse.asp?ictNbr=47
("Boot top white")

My .02 worth,

Loren

Last edited:

Cory B

Sustaining Member
Auto touch-up paint

For just a few scratches and knicks, we went to the local auto store and bought touch-up paint (in the little nail-polish like bottles). Its comes in 101 shades of white, one which should match your pedestal.

Sven

Seglare
Thx

I'll give one of the spray paint solutions a try. The nicks aren't from corrosion and complete repainting would be massive overkill (thank Thor ! We have enough big projects to keep us busy :).

I was expecting someone to suggest automotive touch up paint. I might try that on a hidden area just to see how it works out. [Edit, Cory just did while I was writing that].

Thanks again,

-Sven

Last edited:

Rhynie

Member III
I'm with Laura, already have the white Rustoleum and will catch the aluminum ends on the rubrails while I have the brush wet.