• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

There is something about people who like boats

Sven

Seglare
Before Glyn gave us a Force 10 BBQ a few years ago we'd never been aware of "cargo shifting". Since then we've enjoyed the other side of the bargain as well and think it is a splendid tradition. I still assumed it was a phenomena on just this forum.

Earlier this month I asked another forum for suggestions on replacing a Standard Horizon DS45 depth sounder which was DoA when we bought our "new" Ericson. The DS45 is discontinued and did not look repairable. Imagine my surprise when I got a PM saying that Chuck knew a Dave who replaced his Standard Horizon instrumentation two years ago and that if I was interested, Chuck would give me Dave's e-mail address. Today we found the DS45 on our doorstep, complete. It was offered for free and when I asked how to repay Dave he suggested that I make a donation to a charity, if I felt it was worth it.

I certainly hope the DS45 works when we try to install it this weekend, but even if it doesn't, there is something special about people who appreciate boats.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Very cool. I have similar stories about wonderful hand me downs from dock neighbors and people I have just met at other marinas. When I bought my boat in San Diego seven years ago it came with a bracket on the stern pulpit and I had no idea what it was for. When I got the boat up to my new slip in San Pedro a dock neighbor asked if I was interested in his old Force 10 BBQ, low & behold it had a mount that was made to fit that bracket.

When I stopped for the night at Dana Point on that same trip up from San Diego I met this cruising couple. When I told them I had just bought my boat they offered me a brand new stainless steel cook set. Checked it out in the WM catalog and It cost about 150 bucks.

Standard Horizon DS45 depth sounder.

I also have the Standard Horizon DS45 depth sounder. When my transducer failed about a year ago I called Standard Horizon to see if they still carried transducers for it. When I went in they just gave me a new one. I don't believe Standard Horizon makes anything but VHF's & Chart Plotter's now but obviously they still have some parts for their old line of instruments. Very nice folks in the service department. I really like the nice big display and red back light on the DS45. It's been a good unit. I will hate it if it ever finally gives out because I don't think any one makes any thing that fit's those 4.5" holes any more.

http://www.standardhorizon.com/indexVS.cfm?cmd=DisplayProducts&ProdCatID=86&ProdID=38&DivisionID=3

By the way Sven, I saw a DS45 at Sailboat Junk Yard in Long Beach last weekend.

It had a cracked case but it may be good for parts like the board and display.

Sailboat Junk Yard in Long Beach. 562-200-9108

Attachments

• DS45_thumb.jpg
    DS45_thumb.jpg
    8.2 KB · Views: 617
Last edited:

Sven

Seglare
Probably didn't take more than 20 minutes to swap out the old one, still drinking our morning coffee after turning it on ... it works !!

Attachments

• Working DS45.jpg
    Working DS45.jpg
    48.8 KB · Views: 90

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
What goes around.....

My wife and I were on our return trip to Charlottetown last Summer after spending the better part of 2 weeks in the Bras D'Or Lakes, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia (Spectacular bTW if you can ever manage to find your way there) The overnight on the way home was spent in Ballantines Cove just shy of Cape George. Strolling the Docks that evening we met a young couple from the East end/ Montague area of PEI and heading for the Bras D'Ors in their new-to-them Boat. He asked if I happened to know where in Port Hawksbury he might buy a VHF. He'd spent hours cleaning coax connections and couldn't get a peep out of his Radio on the new boat. With 5 bridges and canal/ locks to hail they really couldn't proceed beyond where they were that night. I suggested he'd better take my Portable VHF and return it to me whenever they got into Charlottetown after their return.
I got a call from him several weeks later and he said the radio worked like a charm, in fact they liked it so much they bought the same model! Next time I was at the Yacht Club in Town they had my returned radio sitting there for me.
Sven, you're right, sailors are a breed apart.

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Not to rain on your parade, but...

Just because someone owns a boat or sails does not make them an honorable person. The world is full of con men and people looking to take advantage of others; the world of boating is no different. I learned this the hard way.

Not that I would decline to extend trust or lend a hand to someone in need, I'm just more careful now to make sure that hand does not get bitten...again.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
While I would agree with that sentiment I do go out of my way to help people that seem to be in need. Particularly if its no big deal to me. Have I been burned? Rarely, but thats not the point. I feel better about doing the right thing, if that favor is abused it in no way diminishes the act. RT

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
Very true. And your recent help to me makes this evident. (And I thank you again!) I just wanted to point out that when the "red flag" goes up, pay attention to it. Even if that person is a "sailor."
PHP:

Sven

Seglare
Another example ...

We just had someone (who will remain anonymous because is was private offer) offer to help us with the drive down to Mission Bay, even offering to pick us up half way or at the train station. That is a huge offer considering that we are 130 miles North of Senta II and have never met this person even on line.

I still think there is something about being self-reliant on a boat that makes you appreciate your fellow human being.

The offer was certainly appreciated but too generous considering the uncertainties of our schedule.

THANKS !

-Sven

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
...and have never met this person even on line.

And you were thinking of taking them up on their offer? When I read things like this I just think of the person who burned me (and several others as I discovered) and how I met him on this very forum.

And also of this:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/27114432/

As I said before, there are good people in the boating community and there are bad people. Trusting everyone is not a good idea.

Sven

Seglare
And you were thinking of taking them up on their offer?

I'll have to re-read my post, I thought I said that we wouldn't but because it was too generous an offer.

When I read things like this I just think of the person who burned me (and several others as I discovered) and how I met him on this very forum.
You've mentioned that before. It might help someone else if you give some details.

Trusting everyone is not a good idea.
Let me know if you find someone who does.

-Sven

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
As I said before, there are good people in the boating community and there are bad people. Trusting everyone is not a good idea.

Well that is true. Sorry to hear about your misfortune. Now for the counter point. I have purchased Sails, T-Shirts, and various hardware through EY.org Folks. I have also sold items via PayPal and had no problems ever. I have also met many So Cal Ericson Owners through this site, sight unseen, (pun intended) and even organized gatherings and on the water meetings with no problems what so ever.

I am sure if you were to report being burned to our "Friendly Administrator", he may be able to block them. I know Sven, and I can't imagine him taking any chances.

Skip Jim

Member II
I just read a few of the messages on here relating to trusting people on this site.

I am the guy that offered Sven a ride to San Diego so that he could move his boat North. I am not a stalker or a bad guy. I have been using this site for about 5 years. I have learned a lot, met some nice people and really enjoy hearing about the solutions to many boating problems that surface on these pages.

There are a lot of very nice folks that contribute to this site on a regular basis. I thank Sean for his work in organizing and taking care of this site throughout the years. I thank Loren for his valuable input. Even though I have never met Sean, Loren, Jeff, Rob or Sven, I know that they are good people because I have read their posts from time to time. Sven gave his old boat to someone who wanted a boat and seems to really appreciate it. Anyone who would give away a nice boat like his to a complete stranger has to be a pretty good guy.

I feel like I know these guys, even though I have never met them in person or in some cases on line. I have met a few Ericson lovers from here in person and they also were outstanding people.

I offered to drive Sven to San Diego. It wasn't really an inconvenience for me since I am going to be in Long Beach on Thursday morning on business and I would loved to have helped get him to his boat. Besides, I would love to see his boat. I had looked at the boat when Lew had first decided to sell it and I really thought it was a nice boat. I know that Sven has made it even nicer.

I moved my boat from Newport Beach to San Diego a few years ago. It turned out to be much tougher than I had planned. We drove a car to Newport, and had another car parked in San Diego. Unfortunately, my engine stopped working on the trip, so we stopped in Oceanside for repairs. The boat had to stay there for a week, so we had to get home from Oceanside. Then we needed to get back to Oceanside, then to San Diego and of course we still had 1 car in Newport. So I know that these trips can be difficult. I am sure Svens trip will be much easier.

Whatever negative experiences happened to Mark with people from this site were very unfortunate. I would hate to always prejudge people based on my negative experiences. We all have had some, and I know we all know people we don't trust. My experiences with people on this site have always been very positive and I am very glad that this site exists. Keep up the postings and don't judge people based only on your bad experiences from the past or you will miss out on a lot of good in the future.

Sincerely,

Skip Jim
Jim Giuliano

SurabyaKid

Member III
My .02 is that sailing (esp racing or blue water) is all about risks and rewards.....the key is making the best choice you can at any given time.

I too think there is something special about the community of sailor's and thier common bonds. There are sure to be some bad apples, but recent happy experiences with folks like Zoran (who gave me his old rope clutches for the cost of postage) lead me to believe that there is more reward than risk to be found within this community.

Pat
E26-> "Pronto"

mherrcat

Contributing Partner
All I am saying is be careful. And I don't tend to pre-judge people. 99.9% of the people I have encountered on this site have been great; I've learned much and have received much good advice.

The person I refer to that I had a bad experience with is apparently no longer active on this site. I've thought long and hard about saying anything about it other than that I had a bad experience and people should be careful. It's a long story about a partnership that went south and the trail of deception that I discovered. If he resurfaces I may yet tell the story.

Bill Upchurch

Member II
'Something about people'

I refuse to go through life thinking that everyone is out to get me--simply because it isn't true. I believe that for the most part you receive what you give.
My brother and I bought our E35 II from Jim Giuliano (Skip Jim) about two and a half years ago. What a pleasant experience. We all treated each other with dignity and respect and we never thought for a second that Jim would be anything other than the gentleman that he is. A couple of weeks after the transaction closed, we picked up ten bags of sails and a couple bags of ropes from Jim at his home, never thinking that he might mess with us over the sails.
I wish Jim had been in Long Beach on business the weekend we traveled to San Diego to bring "Golden Girl" back to Los Angeles and offered to give us a hand. I think we had to impose on a half dozen friends to get four of us to San Diego without leaving cars everywhere.
Enough of this, I'm just glad that I know Jim and that I own an Ericson, and that I sort of know alot of you through this site.

Captron

Member III
Good Sailor/Bad Sailor

Like most of you, I've met a lot of super people through and around sailing. Most will go out of their way to help anyone in need. Take me for example, I'm full of free advice, whether you want it or not.

I could say the same for campers. We've met a lot of nice folks out camping too. Maybe it's being independent that does it.

That doesn't mean that there aren't a few bad apples out there. I think most sailors are really skeptics and rational thinkers to begin with. So when the bullshit detector goes off, pay attention.

A couple of years ago down in Georgetown, there was a story circulating about a boat down in the Dominican Republic called Sea Angel that had a French Skipper, Aussie wife ( sig. other at least) and two kids aboard that looked really destitute. The boat was in rough shape, kids dressed in rags but so what, sailors tend to ratty after a while anyway. These nice Canadian folks invited them all over for dinner on their trimaran and a good time was had by all. They thought that from the way the kids packed it in, that maybe they hadn't been eating all that well.

Later that night that night the skipper of the tri woke up because he heard a noise and when he went to check it out, he found the French guy trying to steal his dinghy by cutting the lashings that held the dink to their side deck trampoline. He managed to chase the guy off and Sea Angel was gone in the morning.

The Canadian trimaran folks were lucky that the guy was just a petty thief and not worse.

Never fail to help someone in need. Just keep the skeptic sensor tuned in.
:egrin: