• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Ericson 35-2 Polar Diagrams . . .

Rolf

Inactive Member
Anyone have these? I have gotten into racing pretty seriously over the last few years and I figure it would be nice to have these for my boat. I'd be willing to pay a reasonable fee (less than the US Sailing charge!) for these to help defray your former cost!

rolf

Seth

Sustaining Partner
US Sailing

........Should have them-they were originally derived from old IOR certificates, and now that a few are racing under IMS/IRC-there should be more accurate polars available.

These are wonderful tools-but remember to achieve them you need to be in racing trim. You will not achieve polars with too much stuff on board, too much weight in the ends, nobody out on the rail (if conditions warrant), or have the wrong sail combo for the conditions (or worn out sails).

They are not cheap from US Sailing (anybody know the current cost?), so I check with a local owner who sails in the Mac and see if I can get a copy.

Cheers,
S

Brisdon

Inactive Member
I to would love to get a copy of the polar diagrams for the 35-2. Any luck on finding them since your post in January?

knoisewater

Member I
Reviving an old thread because I only found dead ends... I don't mind ponying up for some 35-2 polars. Anybody have any idea who I could throw my money at?

p.gazibara

Member III
I know I'm reviving an old thread, but aren't polars specific to sail set? From my understanding to truly get your boat's polars you need to go out in a variety of wind speeds and sail your boat with any/all of the sails that make sense during each particular wind condition at all points of sail. That way you can determine your boat speed and fastest sails for each angle to the wind.

That being said, once I gather enough data, I'll post Cinderella's polars. They may differ quite a bit, as I have lots of sails to choose from and my rig is out of an express 34.

On that note, does anyone know what angle of heel the 35-2 performs best at? I won't have the opportunity to take Cinderella out and get her polars before the next race series, but I know each hull has a prime heel angle to reduce wetted surface. I am reading all the books I can find on sail trim to try and get really in tune with Cinderella prior to Swiftsure.

Christian Williams

E381 - Los Angeles
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Real polars are very expensive to produce and were challenging to use even for the best 12-meter crews.

A notebook of successful settings amounts to the same thing and does help, or at least I thought it helped me get the best out of one-design boats.

Racing is the best way to figure this stuff out, neck and neck with similar boats over time.

That usually reveals factors much grosser than a theoretical polar does: sail selection, weather helm, angle of heel, stuff like that.

In the real world, you can get all the settings right for a particular course and conditions with a skilled helmsman and a snap-to-it crew and watch the other guy pull steadily ahead.

He ain't as good as you, you know that.

But he has new sails.

toddster

Curator of Broken Parts
Blogs Author
My first question about those data collection devices was, "How do they know what you're doing with the sails?" Unless you're always meticulous about trimming them exactly the same way. It sounds too good to be true.
Still, sometimes when I'm scratching my head, thinking "Gee, I feel like the boat should go faster than this in this kind of wind..." it would be nice if Siri would pipe up and say "Hey, Stupid! Move the jib car to position 2!"

p.gazibara

Member III
My first question about those data collection devices was, "How do they know what you're doing with the sails?" Unless you're always meticulous about trimming them exactly the same way. It sounds too good to be true.
Still, sometimes when I'm scratching my head, thinking "Gee, I feel like the boat should go faster than this in this kind of wind..." it would be nice if Siri would pipe up and say "Hey, Stupid! Move the jib car to position 2!"

From the reading I have been doing, it seems like the polars are developed based on your sails and the best trim you can manage. The polars described in "Sail Power" depict the overlapping boat speed performance curves for each sail in your inventory. Granted I have not created these yet, but while I'm at it, I'll be making notes for myself. Considering I have 4 headsails and 3 spinnakers to play with, I am very interested in finding out how they perform/ max wind speeds/ wind angles for each.