• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

see the damage...!

rhewitt

Member II
Hi All,

Take a look at what happened when the Radial Drive Wheel of steering breaks.

Has any one had this happen?

What is the metal piece with the red hose on it?

Can this be done in the water or do I have to drop the rudder?

How do I get the new cable to attach to the chain?

Wow, I do not like the looks of this little job.

Ralph006.jpg

Attachments

• 012.jpg
    012.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 110

treilley

Sustaining Partner
The metal post is the rudder stop. The red hose is a home made shock absorber.

I bet you could do this in the water if you rig a sling to hold the rudder up. Some rudders are bouyant, some are not. Looks like you need a whole new quadrant.

You should be able to see how how the existing cable is attached. I think it may be a clamp.

Last edited:

Jon Anton

Rudder quadrant

Now I'm scared! I really don't want to see this on my boat!

The metal piece with the rubber hose on it is the rudder stop. It "was" attached to the quadrant to keep the rudder from turning too far, and thereby running out of chain on the sprocket wheel, and also to keep it from turning too close to a 90 degree angle to the boat.

You should be able to get all part necessary from Edson. Replaced my cables last year and their tech department was very knowledgable and helpful.

I don't know if you have to haul and drop the rudder or not. If the quadrant is two piece, it may clamp around the post. I would half way expect you may have to haul out. Look for any secondary damage, as in rudder bearing play or cracks in the tube.

Good Luck!

Jon

Tom Metzger

Sustaining Partner
Ralph - Oops, the cable I wrote about won't do it. :)

Attached is the page out of the Owner's Manual showing the steering parts with part #s. The piece with the red hose is the rudder stop. It limits the travel of the rudder.

The radial drive wheel and the chain & wire rope are all available and are in the Edson on-line catalog, pages 63 and 58 respectively.
http://viewer.zmags.com/showmag.php?mid=fqrth#/page62/

I think a call to Edson would be very helpful to clear up your questions.

Good luck.

Attachments

• E-34 steering.pdf
    93.5 KB · Views: 104

Greg Ross

Not the newest member
Quadrant damage

Any recent groundings you're aware of. Seems there had to be quite a bit of force involved to fracture the quadrant casting this way?

skipper007

Member II
Ahh, a lovely steering project....

Ralph,
Search Wobbly E32-2 and you will find my trilogy of wobbly rudder repair. We were out of the water and had to do a bunch of shimming and reworking.

A lack of a proper rudder stop was our major contributor to all the wallowing out, deck cracking etc. I'd pay particular attention to the mount of any turning sheaves. Make sure their backing is solid (ours were very rotten, and had been patched more than once.)

But - something that requires a haul out - is the rudder. Our rudder had turned so far it cracked the fiberglass skin against the hull. You could end up with a rudder full of water.

Best of luck.
Skip