• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Roller Furler manufacturer?

sastephens

I was recently given a rolling furler unit for my E-29' (w/sail!) that I can not identify. What is unique is that it doesn't fit over the headstay like a "modern" furler. Supposedly, it is simply raised via the halyard, behind the forestay. I have seen a similar furler rigged this way and the owner swears it works. Personally I don't see how I can maintain sail shape with this type of furler.

Has anyone seen anything like this or know who manufactures it. I will try and post digital pics later this week. The furler is a large drum made of anodized aluminum with a failead mounted aft of the drum on a short aluminum arm.

Any help is appreciated.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
It could be a Mariner Co. "Roller-Stay" or "Jibaway" from the late 70's. They used to be in Santa Monica, CA (213-450-1681). My info dates from that era...
:rolleyes:
I think you paid just about what it's worth...

What with good Mark 1 and 2 Harkens showing up at marine swaps routinely, I would keep shopping.
Just before I bought my new Harken Mk 2, in 95, I was offered a used but serviceable Mk1 for half price -- keep your eyes open and let all the local riggers know that you are in the market...

Those moldy-oldies, if in good working order, may still furl the sail. No reefing as we take for granted on modern designs.

This is *only* my biased opinion, obviously.

Loren

Cary Diehl

I would only use a furler like that for a Code 0, or gennaker sail... you cannot (no matter what anyone says) go to weather with one of those units. (unless the boat is like a JY15)

Cary