• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Advice, please on spinnaker sheets

Frank Langer

1984 Ericson 30+, Nanaimo, BC
The spinnaker on our 1984 E30+ came without spinnaker sheets. The specs sheet that came with the boat list the sheets as 55' in length and 3/8" dacron double braid line. Can anyone confirm that this is the correct length before I buy them--it would not be good if they were a foot or two too short.

Also, I would use the spinnaker mainly in quite light air up to about 8 knots, when my 125% headsail isn't quite enough to move the boat well. So I am thinking maybe to go to a smaller diameter sheet like 5/16" which would be lighter and not drag down the spinnaker clew and also cheaper to buy, but likely still plenty strong enough for my purposes. I know a smaller diameter line will also be a bit harder on the hands, but in using it mainly in light air, I'm not anticipating that much strain on the sheets in any case.

Some of my thinking is based on my use of a spinnaker on my previous boat, a 23' san juan, which had 1/4" spinnaker sheets even though it was a masthead rig and quite a large spinnaker. While I know that the E30+ spinnaker is larger, it is also a fractional rig which limits the size a bit.

Can anyone comment based on their knowledge/experience?

Thanks,
Frank

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
When I started out sailing and racing our one design Ranger 20, we were told by old timers that a spinnaker sheet should always be about twice the length of the boat.
As you point out, having one a bit too short is worse than the alternative...

Betcha this is still a reasonable theory.

Anyone else? Seth??

As to diameter, while 1/4 or 5/16 would have all the strength you would ever need, I would rather have the 3/8 for easier handling. Your winches, if ST, will have a certain diameter range that they will grip. Since these sheets are for light air, perhaps a light-weight composite line would be better than all dacron.

Cheers,
Loren

Last edited:

Frank Langer

Thanks, Loren, I hadn't thought of....

Thanks, Loren, I hadn't thought of the fact that my ST winches may not grip a 5/16" line properly, making a 3/8" a better choice. I hadn't heard of composite line but if that's a bit lighter it would be a good option, so I'll have to check on that at our chandlery.
Thanks for your helpful advice.
Frank

S Ellis

Member I
sheets

I fly an asymetrical on my 32 and use a braided poly line with lightweight clips for attachment. The poly is lightweight, and it floats! Great in light air and have had no problem in up to 12+. I got all of it at the Harbour Chandlers here in town. Apparently you are tied up next to my friend Keith...I'm at the Yacht Club. All tarped up for the winter, but it would be fun to go out and chase each other around when I'm back in the spring! Steve

E32-2 Diversion
#111 1969

Frank Langer

Thanks, Steve.

Steve, thanks for your reply. That is helpful, and I will check on light weight clips as well. I love the Harbour Chandler for their variety of stock and very helpful service.
Yes, I am in the slip next to Keith, and he and I have talked a bit about racing. I used to do some racing, but am now a bit more inclined to just go out for a great sail in the Strait or for a few days through the Gulf Islands. Though I would still be willing to crew on occasion if someone was short.
Thanks again for your helpful information. Maybe our paths will cross on the docks once your boat is untarped in the spring.
Frank

ted_reshetiloff

Contributing Partner
www.apsltd.com

For line I would go with 5/16" Flight Line or Yale Ultra light. If you want to save a little dough try Yale Vizzion. 5/16 will be fine on your hands and winches on that boat. I use 3/8" on my 38 and could probably stand to go down a size.

Frank Langer

Thanks, Ted...

Thanks Ted. That's reassuring and I'll look into those types of lines when I make my decision. It sounds like 5/16" would be fine for the conditions I'm planning to use my spinnaker.
Frank