• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E32-2 Shroud Tension

Matey

Member III
While the test sail on the (project) 32-2 I'm in contract on went pretty well, I have some concerns.
Lower shroud tension .. At the dock and under sail the mast was in column. While the uppers stayed tensioned, the lowers had more slack than I expected even at 8 knots or so. The standing rigging was replaced last year and static tuned. What's reasonable ? I'm now wondering about deck flex.
Chainplates .. It appears the stbd. upper was flipped over to get good wood for half the holes and the old holes were filled, in the previously wet area. Seems like it might be a good idea to pull the chainplate, fill all the holes, glass over the area and re-drill and re-install ?

I'm also not sure if one is related to the other ? Opinions / advise prior to survey appreciated.

Regards, Greg

Attachments

• 255 (46).jpg
    255 (46).jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 208

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Slack?

When you say the lowers had more slack than you expected-do you mean on the leeward side? I would imagine so, but the way you posed the question I want to be sure.

The lowers on the lee side, especially the aft lowers will be quite slack even in 8 knots of breeze or less. In fact, the Uppers should aslo be somewhat slack on the lee side in this breeze, but not as loose as the aft lowers.
Hard to say about the deck-but if you suspect voids or water contamination you should repair it..

BTW-Static tuning only gets you off the dock. To properly tune you must go sailing and adjust until all is right-although sometimes we hit it almost perfect at the dock-but you have to check while sailing.

Let us know-and if you have more specific questions just post 'em!

S

mggrave

Static/Dock tensioning

I have a 32-2 and need to adjust the shrouds as I am fixing my Mast Step and I know the side stays/shrouds are not tensioned correctly. I am curious if anyone knows where to find the guidelines or suggestions for dock tensioning for side stays and back stays for the ericson 32-2. I just bought the boat I sailed it a couple of years when a friend owned it and we broke several things sailing as it had not been "sailed" for about 10 years + previous. I am now fixing problems like this/ steering and such and have found this website to be very benificial.

Thanks
Mike Grave
Ericson 32-2
Yankton, SD

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Check the posts

Hi Mike,

I have a number of posts over the years with some pretty detailed step by step instructions and guidelines for tuning the rig. Take a look at those and feel free to come back with any questions.

Good luck!