• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Kennyhoutz

In looking at The 38 foot Models from 1980-1989 I found one with a 4'11" draft that says wing keel. Is this some sort of modification? Thanks.

treilley

Sustaining Partner
In the specs on this site I see a shoal keel at 4'11" and a wing keel at 5'0". I would imagine this is the latter and the ad is wrong. The difference is only 1 inch anyway.

add-on wings

My '87 38' was built with the 4'11" shoal keel, and all documentation states that as the draft. However, it has wings that the dealer in Noank, CT, installed on several boats before delivery by bolting a large casting onto the bottom edge of the keel. It increased the draft to about 5'6", but this increase didn't appear to be reflected on any of those boats' documents when we were shopping for ours.

The add-on weighs about 900#, so it made the boat much stiffer. Several years ago I bought line drawings from BKYD, and the keel drawings appear to include this added-on wing so I'm guessing that the design came from that office.

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Wow!

Thanks Much!
I would imagine that today's delivered price would be about double, at least.
Lead is very expensive and so is diesel to haul it around.
Quite a bargain you have.
:)

LB