• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Propspeed coating?

Annapolis E-27

Member III
As another season on the east coast turns to the maintenance season, I am wondering if anyone has used Propspeed to prevent growth on their props? My Primocon and Trinidad SR mix has preformed well but am interested in the performance of Propspeed. Any thoughts?

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Everyone I have spoken to loves the stuff. That said it is VERY particular about the application so follow the instructions to the letter. Its also extremely expensive. VBenn has it on his prop so maybe he will chime in. RT

sleepingsquirrel

I have read that coating a prop with STP works well. However, I read this is some sailing magazine before EPA was a household word. I strongly suspect that the impact of STP pollution is far outweighed by better fuel economy of a clean prop. That is my story and I'm sticking to it.

vbenn

Member III
Propspeed

I used this product on my fixed 3-blade prop 2-3 yrs ago. When I hauled the boat after 1 year in the water (West River, Galesville MD), the prop had a blotchy appearance as if some of the propspeed had worn off, but no barnacles. Propspeed performed well and the only thing I was unhappy about was the cost.

Due to a lot of propwalk in reverse and the drag associated with a 3-blade fixed prop, I installed a Variprop in July of 2008. When I asked the yard to coat it with Propspeed, they proposed Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Spray as an equally effective but far less expensive alternative ($18.99 - Defender catalogue). When we hauled in November 2009, there was no evidence of wear, barnacles or other marine growth. Adios Propspeed!

Vince Benn
Wild Blue
PSC Ericson 380

EGregerson

Member III
barnacle spray

A peek at defender shows the barnacle spray as Transducer paint; the Prop paint is Prop Koat and is $180.

vbenn

Member III
Propspeed

Not sure why the Defender website lists Pettit Zinc Coat Barnacle Spray under the tranducer paint category. It is clearly for underwater metals as described, and has performed very well for me.

FWIW, I use MDR transducer paint on my transducers, none of which are metal.

Vince Benn

Captron

Member III
Bag It

If you're like me and your cruises get farther and farther apart, there's no bottom paint/treatment that will keep the hard shelled critters away.

We bag our prop. Yep, a plain old garbage bag tied off on the propshaft does the trick ... however even here in Florida, it's a cold, cold winter dive to remove or install the baggie when you depart/return .... and lately it's been a smelly cold, cold winter dive. The cold weather has caused a massive fish kill in the waters where we moor our boat... oh that's just swell.

:cartmann:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
After considering all the options on antifouling, etc. for running gear, transducers, etc. I have simply hired a local diver. Next season he will clean the running gear once a month, clean the transducers and knock off any heavy stuff that sprouts where the keel blocks were. This doesn't include any hull cleaning and if the paint does its job, it shouldn't need it. Each visit will cost me $25. I hate diving on my boat, I hate cold water, etc. IMHO, cheap insurance to have someone have a look at the bottom regularly. RT

newgringo

Member III
My 2009 Defender print catalog show Pettit Model 1792 Zinc Coat Barnacle Spray to be used on metals. Sounds like a good idea to me next haulout, Mar 2010.