• Untitled Document

Join us on April 26th, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

April Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

E30-II wheel steering access.

Ericson 30-II

Hi, I am about to replace the wire rope portion of my wheel steering. Has anyone done this? I assume my boat is very similar to the E30+.

I need to gain access to the area below the pedestal.

:egrin:When I go inside the cockpit locker on the port side I cannot access the area directly below the pedestal. There is wood around this area that prevents any access.:mad:

On the other side in the aft berth there is some decorative carpentry around the base of the pedestal. This "carpentry" is mounted using wooden bungs that can be removed.

My question, do you suggest I disassemble the carpentry to gain access or go from the locker side and cut some wood away to get access?

Any pointers before I start wrenchin' would be appreciated.:nerd:

Regards, Bregan

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Couple of observations:
The wheel steering on an Ericson 30-2 was strictly optional, and the out-of-sight steering structure will reflect that.
(I would seriously considering restoring the cockpit to tiller steering and open it up a LOT. Easier to drive, no expensive parts to break in inaccessible places, and the AP costs less.)

Also, you will need to get at the bottom side of the steering where the cables turn 90 degrees, in order to feed new ones. You may need to rebush the sheaves like I did on ours.
Sounds like you have a lot of bungs to remove and woodwork to disassemble. Take lots of pics and make diagrams of the bits as you remove them. Label each piece of wood for place and orientation. Screws may not be all the same size and length, so tag and bag 'em carefully. We rely on the "snack size" zip lock baggies. An extra hour of detail work going into the project will save at least a day on the reassembly end...
:rolleyes:
(Please do not inquire as to how I learned this.)

Best,

Loren

Last edited:

Ericson 30-II

Thanks Loren

Kind of you to chime in ! I took a closer look in the aft berth area and found the wooden housing below the pedestal was mounted using just two screws. No bung removal necessary at all.

The sheaves are very accessable. I have been out of town and have not got any further than uncovering the sheaves. I will post a photo or two of the area below the pedestal when I take my digicam to the boat.

Maybe it might save someone else my earlier confusion.

Thanks again amigo!:)

Best regards, Bregan