• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

La Petite free to a good berth

Sven

Seglare
Is the slip transferrable?

No, it is now a county slip (used to be SMWYC marina until a few months ago). I don't think finding a slip in MDR will be an issue, not for a few years anyway. At 23' she fits almost anywhere and she's definitely not an eyesore :)

-Sven

moto

Member I
I have a 22' trailer that used to carry a J22 and I think it will work for La Petite. Is there a boat yard close by that could haul out the boat and set it on my trailer? I'm located in Phoenix

Sven

Seglare
Yes, there are at least 2 within walking distance: Windaward and Seamark.

If you have Google Earth they will show up if you search for "Boatyard" in "Marina Del Rey, Ca".

There is also a public ramp but that doesn't help until you've fitted the trailer.

Don't know if the picture help you visualize.

-Sven

Attachments

• GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    GoogleEarth_Image.jpg
    262.4 KB · Views: 51
Last edited:

sleather

Sustaining Member
Dang Sven, You're doing wonders for the resale value of my boat ;):esad:

Too bad geography is such a key factor, there was a kid here that contacted me last year about an E23 fixed keel for sale in Chicago for $1,400 and after I talked him through Trailer 101 he "walked away" shaking his head.

Then there was this guy, but I'm sure he wanted the K/CB. http://www.ericsonyachts.org/infoexchange/showthread.php?t=5725&highlight=ericson+23

Hope it finds a good home! I'd be glad to deliver it for Mick, but there's that geography thing again.:rolleyes:

Brisco

Member I
Sven

Hello my wife and I would love use this as our first boat. Is she still available?

I would like to bring it to Ventura and use it to learn. I have lake sailed for years and taken some ocean sailing courses in England (RYAA). My wife is just starting to get as excited about sailing as I am. Now that we live closer to the Ocean we hope to explore the Channel Islands.

I have already made some calls about a slip and I have one standing by... if the boat is still there.

I will send you a PM with my phone number.

Last edited:

Quiet Magic

Member II
the mid west

wow if i did not live in central minnesota i would be all over that!! she is beyond beautiful! until i saw that fin keel i was seriously considering taking my precision 23s (1'11" draft) trailer to california distance be damned!! what brand is the outboard? and is the keel encapsulated in the fibreglass like e 27? or is it bolted on?

Last edited:

moto

Member I
It's been awhile since I've used the forum and it was an old email address. I have updated it. Check your PM.

Sven

Seglare
Todd and his new Bride are the new owners of La Petite !

That solved the problem and she is going to a good home.

Well, the J22 trailer capacity nixed that deal :-(

However, Todd and his Bride and mother (?) and uncle came down to MDR on Sunday and Todd assumed ownership of La Petite. Nancy and I are very happy to see that she is going to a really good new home and she will continue to be enjoyed.

-Sven

Brisco

Member I
What an exciting weekend!

A Very large THANK YOU to Sven and Nancy. What a dream come true.

After dodging a few forest fires on our trip to MDR we acquired La Petite a BEAUTIFUL Ericson 23', in pristine condition!

Here are a few pictures of the new owners, doing a quick shake down on the dock then heading out for a wonderful evening sail!
-Todd

Attachments

• La Petite 1.jpg
    La Petite 1.jpg
    92.9 KB · Views: 107
  • La Petite 2.jpg
    La Petite 2.jpg
    96.1 KB · Views: 98
  • La Petite 3.jpg
    La Petite 3.jpg
    41.9 KB · Views: 83
  • La Petite 4.jpg
    La Petite 4.jpg
    75.2 KB · Views: 90
  • La Petite 5.jpg
    La Petite 5.jpg
    52.4 KB · Views: 70

Brisco

Member I
Part 2 of our first sail on La Petite.

Once again congratulating Sven on an act of kindness which is not very common these days. My wife and I both are amazed at the selfless act he and his wife did to make our dream come true!

We will continue to post updates of our introduction to La Petite. As well as have plenty of questions about maintenance to keep this boat as nice as it is now.

-Todd

Attachments

• La Petite 6.jpg
    La Petite 6.jpg
    22.9 KB · Views: 76
  • La Petite 7.jpg
    La Petite 7.jpg
    32 KB · Views: 78
  • La Petite 8.jpg
    La Petite 8.jpg
    54.3 KB · Views: 66
  • La Petite 9.jpg
    La Petite 9.jpg
    31 KB · Views: 82

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Congratulations to you and your wife Todd! And welcome to EY.o!

Congratulations to you and your wife Todd! And welcome to EY.o!

I couldn't believe it when I first read this post from Sven offering his beautiful La Petite for free. I was racking my brain trying to figure out if I could take her and start my own fleet. Must kind of feel like you won the Lottery. I have followed Sven's & Nancy's upgrades to their boat and their offshore adventures on this site for years now. You are getting a truly well founded, sturdy and well maintained boat. One of the best built available in it's class. Do you still plan on moving La Petite up to Ventura?

I must say that Sven looks a little melancholy in that photo. I know what it's like giving up my first boat. I don't necessarily agree with the old statement that "the two happiest days in boat ownership are the day you buy the boat and the day you sell the boat". I really feel that boats have souls and it's kind of like breaking up or parting with a old friend.

So Sven, are you really getting a E-39?

Take care of La Petite and she will take care of you Todd. Hope to meet up with you and your wife at Catalina some day.

Beam Winds

Jeff
:egrin::cheers:

Last edited:

Brisco

Member I
Do you still plan on moving La Petite up to Ventura?

Yes, that will be our first true adventure on La Petite a 60 mile motor / sail up to Ventura. We were so impressed with the condition of the boat that we will be making this trip this weekend (11/22) (Bar any extreme weather).

Ventura will be a great spot to learn more with great destinations to look forward too.

As far as experience I have been lake sailing on Sabots, Sunfish, and 14ft mono hulls since I was 5. Completed RYA competent crew course on board the Happy Hobo a Moody 42. Sailing the Solent. My wife is new to sailing and extremely excited!

So we are going to take it slow and enjoy every step.

-Todd

Jeff Asbury

Principal Partner
Wow, that will add to your experience.

Wow, that will add to your experience. Weather looks good right now. Reminds me of when I first bought my E-27 in San Diego. Sailed her up the 100 miles to San Pedro in November 2002. I actually got better head way motoring at night. Hopefully you will have a nice reach past Pt. Dume. I have never sailed up past Pt. Dume but I understand you should stay well off shore. I used to sail out of Oxnard. Visited Santa Cruz and Anacapa a few times. I would love to get back up there some day. Fascinating places.

Attachments

• 2pt_dum__parad.jpg
    2pt_dum__parad.jpg
    182.9 KB · Views: 47

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
Welcome to the Ericson family

Seeing the photo of the happy couple standing on the fore deck reminded me of the photo of Glyn and another Ericson couple, performing the wonderful name change ceremony...
If that E-23 ever needs a "proper" de-naming and re-naming, Glyn's is the go-to guy!
:egrin:
(Be sure he wears the Viking helmet and the pants with the hearts.)

Cheers,
Loren

Sven

Seglare
Todd,

Thanks for the nice words.

Here are a few pictures of the new owners, doing a quick shake down on the dock then heading out for a wonderful evening sail!

We are so happy you like her ! You will have lots of fun and don't be surprised when you pass bigger boats that should leave you in their wake :)

As I mentioned, the gas in the second (fuller) tank might be too old so I think I'd pour that in your car rather than depending on it for your motor & sail up north.

She is going to a good home so we really lucked out.

-Sven

Sven

Seglare
Jeff,

I must say that Sven looks a little melancholy in that photo.

Well, she has been pretty special for us. When I sold my first boat 40 years ago (!!) I was happy to have sold, but in this case we gave up La Petite not because there was anything wrong with her, but because we were getting another boat. Don't get me wrong, my first sailboat was great too, a heavy, oak, open, clinker-built design that just lost her water tightness over time.

So Sven, are you really getting a E-39?

I think so. We spent a wonderful Monday with a gentleman who is the current owner and a meticulous surveyor who confirmed all my feelings about the boat. We are scheduled to head back down on Friday to close the deal.

It is interesting that we are staying in the Ericson family after all the careful searching we've done.

-Sven

HGSail

Member III
Welcome Todd

I can't wait to see another ericson sailing around in Ventura. Where will you be keeping her. I am at Ventura West Marina D104 and if you have any questions about the harbor or the islands don't hesitate to ask. I won't be down there this weekend (I have to work) but maybe next weekend.

Pat
E29
'73
Holy Guacamole