• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Painting the rub rail

tilwinter

Member III
An earlier post discussed painting the rubrail to prevent chalking, using a product called Vinylon, which is designed for buoys.

I found only one outlet for this product, and it is in Seattle. It would cost me 40 dollars to ship a 20 dollar quart to Baltimore.

I called a local chandelry, and discussed it with the owner. He recommended a spray can of Krylon for plastic, which he said, others have told him works well.

So I did some google research, and found out that Rustoleum also makes a vinyl paint.

In the automotive arena, a company named SEM also sells some paint/dye for vinyl, designed for the restorer with an old vinyl car top.

My question: any experience with any of the above out there in Ericson land?

Randy Rutledge

Sustaining Member
I use Krylon on car black trim on restorations and on the aluminum rail of the bump rail of my Mastercraft when I refinished it 14 years ago and the only place that has come off there is aluminum missing from gouges. It is cheep and works well.

tilwinter

Member III
oh buoy

I think I would still face high shipping charges for paint, but I will see if I can get someone to order a quart from Petit.

Thanks for the info.

tilwinter

Member III
my spirits are buoyed

Just spoke to Hamilton Marine Supply, and they can ship a small amt. of paint without a surcharge, so I think I will go with them, as with the discount, about the same as if I ordered it locally and paid full price.

Gmilburn

Member III
Krylon Clear Coat?

Hi all,

I have a rub rail that seems to be streaking my E29 Brown Sheer Stripe due to its age and "chalking" nature. Having read this thread, I was anxious to "seal" the old rub rail, and visited the Krylon web site--based on others experience with simple spray on paint.

In the process of trying to select a color, I ran across a "Triple Coat" Clear Coat and decided to give it a try. It would eliminate the dastardly task of carefully masking and trying to match or pick a color--expecially since the boat is docked in the water.

The product is at:
http://www.krylon.com/products/triplethick_crystal_clear_glaze

It is indicated for: Wood, Metal, Wicker, Plastic, Glass, Plaster, Ceramic, Paper, Paper Mache, Dried/Silk Flowers.

I intend to give it a try--and will let you all know the outcome.

Gary
"Hydrophilic" 1977 E-29 Hull 515

tilwinter

Member III
buoys are us

Happy to report the lobster buoy paint arrived quickly. Total cost, paint and shipping, only $21. Would have cost me $60 for Vinylon elsewhere. Now I have to wait for warm weather. I highly recommend Hamilton Marine Supply. Thanks for the recommendation.

Emerald

Really nice to hear all is tracking well. I've had great support from Hamilton Marine on several projects and have found their pricing very competitive. I've had them do some great price matching as well. Keep us posted on how this works out once it is warm enough to use.

:egrin:

CWM

Chuck
Rod:

What was Hamilton Marine's recommendation, and what product did you buy?

Thanks

tilwinter

Member III
buoys to mend

Hamilton had no recommendation, as I really did not solicit any advice. I bought Petit Lobster Buoy Paint in white.

They gave essentially a 50% discount over list on the paint, and only charged $9 for shipping. I got to talk to the shipping guy directly, and he gave me the cost in advance.

westcoastcat

Member II
Did the paint last

Alright all it has been almost two seasons, couple of questions did the paint work / did it last. did you remove the rub rail to paint it or mask and paint it on the boat, which paint worked the best................

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I painted my rubrail 10 years ago by priming the aluminum track with yellow zinc primer and painting the rubrail itself with plain old Brightside one-part polyurethane paint.

It's held up well on the top and side, but interestingly it didn't do so well on the underside. I may have been lazy prepping that part as it was difficult to sand...and continues to be difficult to see except when the boat is on the hard.

Gmilburn

Member III
Rub Rail Clear Coat

Late last summer I used Krylon Clear Coat spray paint (see my post earlier in the thread) to try to seal my old and tired rub rail--that had been "chalking" my brown shear stripe on my E29.

To date it seems to have worked well--but with the caveat that it has only been on for a few months. But since the color was clear, I only did minimal masking and even if I have to reapply it--its not a big project.

Just my two cents worth.

<hr style="color: rgb(255, 255, 251); background-color: rgb(255, 255, 251);" size="1">