• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub Rail Replacement

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I bought eighty feet of rub rail about a year ago to use on my E35II. The boat was built in 1971 and the rail was weathered, cracked and looked 37 years old. I heard so many horror stories about the difficulty of removing the old and inserting the new that I just kept putting off the task--that is until last weekend. I'm here to report that I finished the entire job in about a day and a half and it was almost easy. What a relief.

JORGE

Member III
mine is going

my rail is 1971 on my E32-2, pretty poor it is large,
by the way which brand did you decide on?
how was the best way to remove the old rail?

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Jorge,

A Southern California company made the original rub rail inserts for Ericson and they are still going strong. Take a look at their web site:
www.wefcorubber.com . My boat used "Wefco Profile:4197". The inserts, one for each side of the boat, are anchored on each end by a long bolt which is covered with end caps on the stern and a nose cap on the Bow.
Remove the caps and bolts and with some pliers slowly lift the rubber insert out of the rail.After enough of the insert is out of the rail grip it with your hands and slowly lift it out of the rail.
After cleaning the empty rail with a brush and water I started at one end of the boat and placed two or three inches of the bottom portion of the insert in the rail and then with my thumbs pressed down and inward on the top portion of the insert until it "snapped" into the rail. The new rail insert is pliable and relatively easy to "bend" into the rail. Repeat that process for another 70 feet. I can't tell you how sore my thumbs are.
After the entire new insert is in the rail, drill new holes in the ends for the "bolts" and then replace the caps.