• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

CDI Mainsail Furler - Considering for E32-3

newgringo

Member III
Well I knew sailing could be expensive. After finishing a local race in wind gusts up to 33 knots I managed to severely tear my 22 yr old mainsail in our 1986 E32-3. If it is not repairable I am considering installing a CDI Mainsail Reefing System. Anyone have any experience with this or the CDI head sail furlers? Being able to raise, reef and douse all sails from the cockpit has a very high appeal for me and my wife (who just knows I am going overboard soon). And we are getting older. All opinions encouraged. Thanks.

Emerald

Hi,

couple thoughts. First, this isn't a reefing system per se, but I think ties in to making sail handling easier all around. If your main was used anywhere like mine had been used, this might be a real blessing. I had my original main in need of the 507th round of patching last season, and instead picked up a really nice, almost new condition, used main from Bacon's ( http://www.baconsails.com/ ). It was like having a new boat. I can't describe enough how much of a difference it made in how she sailed, and I didn't think she was bad sailing before hand. Pointing improved quite a bit. Not only did performance improve, but this sail just happened to be set up for a Dutchman flaking system. Last weekend I finally installed the needed topping lift and guide lines, and can't believe how nicely this seems to work. It is like making your main into a large Roman shade. I've attached a couple pictures of having just let the halyard go and the sail drop. The very last little bit got some help from me when disconnecting the halyard, but what you see in these pictures is really how it landed on the boom. The other thing is I am in a slip that gets beaten badly with power boat wakes when the gas prices are low enough for them to tank up. When I took these pictures, the boat had been rocking violently side to side as it was an unusually nice day, and every power boat seemed to be out. The way this works, the sail can't fall off the boom. The guides are three lines of 500 lb test, UV resistant, monofilament, and the sail is basically hanging off them when flaked down. The website for more info on the Dutchman is http://www.mvbinfo.com/dp_01.html

Attachments

• main-flaked-port-side.jpg
    main-flaked-port-side.jpg
    97.9 KB · Views: 286
  • main-flaked-starboard-side1.jpg
    main-flaked-starboard-side1.jpg
    86 KB · Views: 269
Last edited:

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
The way I understand the CDI mainsail reefing system is its basically a roller furling setup that mounts to the back side of the mast. No battens, negative roach, crappy performance, etc. Just like the in-mast furlers that are so the rage today. Seems like a lot of coin to go slower. The Dutchman on a nice used sail and reefing lines led to cockpit will do what you want, likely cost less, and keep the performance.

RT

tenders

Innocent Bystander
I installed the Guy Stevens model of lazyjacks two seasons ago and have been very happy:
http://www.boatus.com/goodoldboat/tamers.asp

Simple and effective, not to mention inexpensive. I started with cheap 3-strand nylon line for proof of concept and am convinced; it's time to restring it with better line because the 3-strand gets stiff and kind of skanky after it's been out in the weather for a while.

My control lines lead to the base of the mast but it might be possible to run them to the cockpit.

steven

Sustaining Member
I discussed this with the CDI folks at the Annapolis Boatshow last weekend. Re performance - they say some people offset the negative roach by lowering the boom a bit. Apparently to furl correctly the outboard end of the boom should be higher than the gooseneck - so instead of raising the outboard end, lower the gooseneck. Anyway, I'm not convinced the roach really makes that much difference (except dead downwind). There is of course also a gap between the main and the furler - but behind a big mast section I'm not sure that matters much either.

CDI says it will roller reef (in fact, it would be the only way to reef). Unlike a partially rolled jib, a partially rolled main moves center of effort toward the center of the boat and down - right where you want it. Anyone know if the shape would work out right - or is this a way to ruin a main.

A couple seasons ago I installed a Strong luff slider system plus my own lazy jacks (the trick to lazy jacks is for all the drops to run parallel to the mast - so they don't catch the battens when raising the sail), and moved the halyard and reef gear back to the mast (getting rid of the kluge on the coach roof). works very well. Nevertheless a roller furling main is tempting. But a roller furling asymmetrical is maybe more tempting - CDI has those too.

--Steve

Seth

Sustaining Partner
Don't buy into the hype

As far as they go, the CDI system is OK, but don't kid yourself about what it will do to the boat-it is akin to shortening the rig by about 3 feet-or more.
This type of mainsail furling has never worked very well (I am a "recovering" sailmaker-and have sold hundreds of different furling systems to my clients), and the entire idea-no roach (roach makes a HUGE difference upwind, downwind and reaching until there is so much breeze the boat is overpowered), and the aerodynamics of the furler foil set behind the mast are a mess. You will see big losses in pointing ability, and speed on all points of sail.

What you were hearing from CDI was marketing hype-the product itself is not badly designed, and the quality is OK, but the concept is without many advantages-you are much better served with a Dutchman, Tides/Stroing Track, or Stackpack type arrangement-you will retain the performance your boat was designed for, and enjoy very easy mainsail handling.

Another party heard from...:egrin:
S

newgringo

Member III
Final Decision

The good news is my Main Sail is being repaired as I write this. It wasn't damaged as bad as I thought and the sail shop is making a couple other repairs too. I am putting my idea of a CDI Mail Furler aside as nobody seems to like it, including the sail shop (they commented that boom furlers are the way of the future for a lot of reasons). The idea of a Dutchman System or other sail stacking scheme does look very attractive now. I have Lazy Jacks but they usually get hung up with the full length battins when hoisting sail. Makes routing the main halyard to the cockpit under a dodger almost impossible (visibility). So I am looking closely at all the fine suggestions you all provided. Thanks again!

Attachments

• raconteurIMG_2505_d.jpg
    raconteurIMG_2505_d.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 6,866

Guy Stevens

In the way?

Why would your lazy jacks be deployed while you are hoisting the main? They are in the stowed position when raising the main, and only in the deployed position when reefing or dousing the sail...

Guy
:)