• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

How to Rust a New Anchor

Steve Swann

Member III
I need to take a new galvanized anchor across the Border into Mexico. But it has to look used and cheap so I don't get sunk with an import VAT. Yes, you read right - and it weighs 80# - so I can't exactly hide it in with my T-shirts and socks.

If you don't have tears in your eyes from laughing yet, keep reading, you will:

Up to now, I have been dousing it with salt and vinegar and the d**mn thing looks better now than when I started! Before I get out an airbrush and some rust colored paint, does anybody got any ideas how I can make the thing look like it has been used between now and Friday when it goes to Mexico?

Hey, this is serious! HELP! :egrin:

Loren Beach

O34 - Portland, OR
Senior Moderator
Blogs Author
This mornings' paper actually has a story about the Mexican gov't border inspections being increased to the point that 10% of all vehicles will be inspected for...
weapons...
At least your anchor will seldom be confused with an AK47.
:rolleyes:

Good luck anyway.

Loren

Mike.Gritten

Member III
Steve,

I don't know about how things work down south, but up here in the Great White North, we can fill in a form that allows us to list things that we are taking across the US border with us (new cameras, laptops, etc.) so we DON'T get hassled coming back and forth. This works, I guess, as long as we are returning at some point in the near future. I don't know if that's the case with you!

Steve Swann

Member III
Documentation and other Ship's Papers

I have several items of paperwork that will be presented at the Border, ship's papers, my ownership papers, and even a form from the Mexican Consulate. It is just that it depends upon the official, the time of day, and the health of his wallet to really know what I will get dinged with, if anything. It just helps a lot if the stuff looks used, always out of its packaging, and you can claim that it is for your boat, not for resale. Price tags are a no-no. Old invoices with old prices kinda help, too.

Heck, it might be easier to leave Puerto Vallarta on a port tack, come about somewhere out near Hawaii and starboard tack all the way to the West Coast of the US. Then I can take all my stuff to my new boat never having to leave the US. Heck, what's so difficult about 4,000 miles hard on the wind if I can have a boatload of cheap beer and my WMFWG with me?

Taking a shiny new $900 anchor begs extra attention. I think my stuff crossing the Border will be OK, I just want to be sailing in clear air going across!

treilley

Sustaining Partner
Are you taveling across the border by car? Maybe you can bolt it onto the car somewhere so it looks like part of it. Danforth trailer hitch anyone?:egrin:

Steve Swann

Member III
Thanks

Gee, you guys are sure a lotta help!

I think I am going to brush on some rust colored paint into the cracks and corners and hope it looks yucky. Actually, when I try to paint nice, it is also yucky so I should have no problem.

sleather

Sustaining Member
Natures way

Dried mud and seaweed would add a nice patina, although hard to do "on purpose".;) Rustoleum Rusty Metal Primer would be about the right color for a paint job for those cracks:)eek:?)and corners.
Have a safe trip!

Last edited:

Kim Schoedel

Member III
Idea!

I think a combination of Tim's suggestion along with a good dose of "Natures Way".

Bolt that sucker on the hood of your truck. Gently apply the mud and dried seaweed.

It's a Hood Ornament!

Steve Swann

Member III
Size Does Matter

Have you guys ever looked at an 80# Manson? Kim could play hide-and-seek under the thing. If you hung that thing outside your truck, someone would think you were an Abram's tank recovery vehicle. I think the seaweed and Rustoleum is a great idea. No Chad, it isn't what you think, it's not a bar drink.

u079721

Contributing Partner
Muriatic acid

Go find a real hardware store, and buy some Muriatic acid. If you soak the thing in this it will dissolve off the galvanizing (zinc) layer, leaving behind the bare steel, which will quickly rust. But then you will have a rusting anchor forever.

So I like the suggestion to paint on some rust and dirt much better.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
Spray the anchor with 3M spray adhesive then take very fine steel wool, separate it loosely and then apply to the adhesive. Then sparingly spray with salt water. I think the result will appear quite rust stained. The first time you use the anchor it will rinse off and you have a new anchor again. RT

Anchor

Steve,

Why not just drag it down to the border. By the time you and the misses get it there, the thing will look very old not to mention about 20#'s lighter...or when you get to the border, you just give the border guard a case of "Billy Beer". That will prove to him that you are indeed a very poor, poor gringo with a very big can opener :egrin: Or you could tell him that it is a new bell clapper for a bell in a very famous cathedral in Mexico City...or...oh well, you get the idea:cheers:

Fair winds,

Chad

exoduse35

Sustaining Member
turn it around backward and chain the business end to the back of your truck and drive up & down a gravel road a few times. that should take off some of the shine without hurting it too bad. good luck Edd

e38Aiea

Making Rust

Try putting steel wool in solution of 50/50 vinegar and bleach it will rust mostly instantly, the only downside is that it will smell worse than cheap beer , I had to get in a dig too. I would then take Rob's idea of the spray adhesive and simply put the new rust on it. Good Luck!

:egrin:

--Marshall

Steve Swann

Member III
Steel Wool and 3M Worked Brilliantly!

Rob,

Yes, the spray-on adhesive and steel wool, spritzed with vinegar and salt worked fine. I used a bit of redwood paint in a few inside places applied with a small brush. It now looks used and will certainly help my case with the Border Crossing. A bit of rusted chain would be a nice touch, I think I can find at least a shackle.

For most of you other guys, with a couple of notable exceptions, (I won't mention any names, but their initials are "KIM" and "CHAD"), thanks for the genuine help. I want you all to know that I am going to take the afternoon off and prune a few brain cells by having a cheap beer.

BTW, did any of you know that Keystone, when stored at garage temperature in a moldy cooler for 3 years, isn't even drinkable any more? I can tell you with some authority that it's true; throw it out - all of it - and that 3 year old block of runny cheese (or carrots ???) next to it.

rwthomas1

Sustaining Partner
I love it when a plan comes together!

Errr, regarding the Keystone. Its not really drinkable. Ever. Ugg.

RT :egrin:

Keystone

Steve,

Run that old Keystone through a used coffee filter a couple of three times, just to get the lumps out, then add vanilla extract or maybe some Kikkoman's Soy Sauce. It really doesn't matter:rolleyes:. Put this into a jam jar with some mayonase, add some marbles to help agitate the brew. Throw in your old credit cards and your stock of AIG, there no good anymore anyhow, shake well. Poke a few holes in the top of the lid and then vacuum bag the whole thing . Then put it back in the old moldy cooler, stick it back in the garage and forget it. With luck, who ever buys your house at the sheriff's sale will get stuck with it :egrin:

Fair winds,

Chad