• Untitled Document

Join us on March 29rd, 7pm EST

for the CBEC Virtual Meeting

All EYO members and followers are welcome to join the fun and get to know the guest speaker!

See the link below for login credentials and join us!

March Meeting Info

(dismiss this notice by hitting 'X', upper right)

Rub Rail Replacement

Bill Upchurch

Member II
Six or Seven months ago I had the company that produced the original rub rails for Ericson, extrude about eighty feet for my E35 II. Besides waiting for warmer weather I think I have been procrastinating a bit after taking a brief shot at removing the old rub rail. That stuff has been there since 1971 and it seems to want to stay put.
Does anyone have a suggestion for removing the old "hard as a rock" rubber rub rail? I'm all ears.

missalot

Member II
I have an 1970 E29. I replaced the rubrail insert about 4 years ago. The old stuff was TUFF!!. I used a "healthly" screw driver and pried it out. I started at one end, and tried to keep the flat tip of the screw driver as close to the edge as possible so I did not crack the extrusion that holds the rubber insert. Let me know if find an easy way to put the new insert in. I ended up heating mine in our crab cooker pot!

Bill Upchurch

Member II
I must be losing it--Just after I started this thread yesterday I looked below at similar threads and saw one I started last winter using almost the exact words. Age sucks-or maybe I'm on a quest for an easier softer way to change out the Rub Rail.

oceandreams89

Member II
Bill,

What is the contact information for the oem company who made the rubrail for you? What was the cost to have it re-made?

The original rubrail threads have been a hot topic here at times, and I'm wondering if you can share your contact information for that company.

Thanks,
Todd